Euro 2016 qualifiers

Mr Bairn

You've picked me up wrong mate - I think Wales are a credit this time out and, without any hint of criticising Bale or Ramsay, they are much more than that. I wasn't for a minute suggesting that they were two players - they are a cohesive and effective side who look a stick on for France.

I was querying whether Wales were a better side than Scotland. Results suggest they are at present, but I would contend that the difference is negligible as Strachan has built a very good side that is, like Wales and Norn Iron, an improvement on the sum of it's parts.

Let's hope all three make it to the finals?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But are they?

Two fantastic players, admittedly, but two players do not make a cohesive and effective team. Norn Iron don't have any of the players Scotland or Wales have, but we are punching way above our weight and, to my mind,that is all down to the team ethic engendered by O'Neill.

You must admit that Northern Ireland have been incredibly fortunate with the group they landed, combined with how honking Greece have Been.

You must admit that Northern Ireland have been incredibly fortunate with the group they landed, combined with how honking Greece have Been.

Absolutely. Their group is unbelievably shit, still didn't expect them to make it out so fair play, but Scotland would have walked it imo.

We are like Wales but without two fantastic players in Ramsay and Bale, so if we have a chance of qualifying then it's no surprise that Wales should qualify as they are a better team.

They had their best side in a generation in the last qualifying, we were managed by Craig Levein.

They beat us twice, both courtesy of Bale (once courtesy of a dive).

Despite this we still finished above them in the group? So if their golden generation can't finish above one of our worst teams, who were managed by one of our worst managers, what hope do they have of ever being better than us?

Belgium flatter to deceive yet again, awful goal to give away. I'd say three Welsh players would get in our team - Ramsey, Bale and Williams. The rest are a bit meh, you might get Neil Taylor I suppose.

Same number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds as every other group, but yah, it was a good draw.

Greece are regular qualifiers for the final stages, so I'm well chuffed a their seeming demise but, having supported Norn Iron since the Seventies, I will not be getting carried away as we are the pre-eminent side when it comes to shooting ourselves in the foot. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we beat Romania and then lost to the Faroe Islands.

Same number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds as every other group, but yah, it was a good draw.

Greece are regular qualifiers for the final stages, so I'm well chuffed a their seeming demise but, having supported Norn Iron since the Seventies, I will not be getting carried away as we are the pre-eminent side when it comes to shooting ourselves in the foot. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we beat Romania and then lost to the Faroe Islands.

Frankly, it would be more of a surprise if they didn't do that. The Norn have well and truly taken our crown for taking big scalps and falling over to minnows. Thinking about it, they've maybe always been better at it than us.

Indeed, the only team to beat West Germany home and away in the same qualifying campaign, and then we lost to Albania, who were utterly rank back then, sending us out on goal difference. That was when I decided NEVER to get my hopes up again with our wee country.

Wales winning probably produces more seethe than England winning on here now! Pleasing. Looking good to top group and still get considered as only qualifying coz of the expansion. Not buying into the golden generation tag, I think the early a 90 team which beat Germany and almost made usa 94 was better, giggs, Hughes, rush, Saunders, southall, speed. Would probably favour the team that lost to Russia in 2003. Thought the inevitable bottling would start yesterday, pleased to be proved wrong.

Archived