Euro 2016 qualifiers

Mr Bairn

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making it 24 quaifying has removed any element of interest from the qualifiers for other than the shit entrants like ourselves and Roi.

You've got too many pisspoor countries competing, and no real incentive for the decent nations to bother overly given they are going to cruise through in 1st or 2nd no sweat.

I think it has been noticeable with some of the bigger nations that they don't seem to give a f*ck as they know they can be very average, make a mess of it, and still qualify quite easily.

It seems to have been very positive for the middle of the road sides like us and Ireland, as you mentioned. Can't help but think that the end result will be a tournament that is too diluted and noticeably lower in quality when it comes to the finals. That being said, should Scotland qualify I will be straight on to SBB to book my train tickets to France.

Making it 24 quaifying has removed any element of interest from the qualifiers for other than the shit entrants like ourselves and Roi.

You've got too many pisspoor countries competing, and no real incentive for the decent nations to bother overly given they are going to cruise through in 1st or 2nd no sweat.

Would be great to see the 4 home nations all qualify for Euro 2016 though, not had this sort of chance for many years.

It seems to have been very positive for the middle of the road sides like us and Ireland, as you mentioned. Can't help but think that the end result will be a tournament that is too diluted

Absolutely.

The Euro's has always been the best tournament in terms of quality football matches. Poor decision to expand it, albeit as you say teams like Scotland will benefit. It's all about more television money at the end of the day I suppose.

And to have qualifying groups of 6 teams where 3rd can get you to the playoffs, well, that's just dumb, especially as the groups all have two or three really poor teams as it is.

They should have pre-qualifying rounds for the San Marino's etc to reduce the amount of meaningless games in the qualifiers and then keep the qualification places to the top two in the group.

What you've said there doesn't entirely make sense though. If you weed-out some of the small countries via "pre-qualifiers"... and that is controversial just in itself, as very few UEFA members are totally incapable nowadays... you have fewer countries in the qualifiers. That means an even higher proportion of teams from each group qualifying. For example, for Euro 2020 you could weed-out say the bottom 6 and go with 12 groups of 4... but that's only 6 games, and it's 2 of 4 qualifying from each.

Expansion has damaged 3 areas, IMO:

* qualifying is a procession for the big countries

* it's knackered the finals tournament - it's the horrid old WC model of 6 groups of 4 with 2/3 of groups putting 3 from 4 teams through

* it's made it very difficult for anyone but huge countries to consider hosting, and difficult for smaller countries to even consider co-hosting

Even a 20-team finals, like Rugby World Cup 1999, would've been better than the new model.

What you've said there doesn't entirely make sense though. If you weed-out some of the small countries via "pre-qualifiers"... and that is controversial just in itself, as very few UEFA members are totally incapable nowadays... you have fewer countries in the qualifiers. That means an even higher proportion of teams from each group qualifying. For example, for Euro 2020 you could weed-out say the bottom 6 and go with 12 groups of 4... but that's only 6 games, and it's 2 of 4 qualifying from each.

It wouldn't be controversial to put teams with the lowest ranking into pre-qualifiers.

Then 12 groups of 4 could be an option, but that's a lot of groups. Need to weed out more teams first! :)

Why? The elite 16 Euro format worked very well for years. There was no need to water it down. And I think this Scotland squad could well have qualified as one of the best 16 teams in Europe.

Consistently Scotland could certainly not expect to qualify for a 16 team European competition. Our population just isn't big enough.

I actually think it will make the end of the qualifiers better. The teams that always qualify will still always qualify but there should be something to play for in all groups.

The finals will be worse I agree.

These are the lowest ranked UEFA teams excluding Gibraltar. & even then its only San Marino & Andorra that are awful

110 45 Georgia 290 -15 arrow_Down_Red.gif 112 46 FYR Macedonia 286 -36 arrow_Down_Red.gif 127 47 Luxembourg 239 -18 arrow_Down_Red.gif 127 48 Kazakhstan 239 4 arrow_Up_Green.gif 155 49 Malta 133 -5 arrow_Down_Red.gif 172 50 Liechtenstein 81 -5 arrow_Down_Red.gif 179 51 Faroe Islands 67 4 arrow_Up_Green.gif 203 52 Andorra 9 -4 arrow_Down_Red.gif 208 53 San Marino 0 0 standings.gif

Archived