Clyde v Berwick

The video I was watching was clearly the one without the black and gold filter......

Just a black filter in your case....

The video and the excellent stills posted by the Bully Wee show the following.

1. Currie is breaking at pace down the left wing, hoping to get a pass from a colleague who has the ball, once he is past the defender.

2. The defender edges over to stop Curries run.

3 Collision occurs at speed (its the speed bit that makes the Jacobs comparison irrelevant).

4. Both players raise their arms. The defender puts his elbow into Curries neck, Currie wraps his arms around the defenders neck

5. In about 1 second, they go to the deck. What happens there can't be seen but there is no angry reaction from the defender.

6 Walsh's 2 brain cells go into overdrive.

7. That's it.

Both needed a quick talking to and no more.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit disappointed that the highlights show all of Berwick's efforts on goal but miss out McManus's two brilliant chances in the second half (a header from Sinclair's cross and a one-on-one with the goalkeeper).

Looking at the red card incident objectively, the Clyde player doesn't really seem to do anything wrong in my opinion. From what I can see in the footage, he doesn't actually move to block the Berwick player, who dives into him, but continues his run back. Harsh red card though.

Looking at the red card incident objectively, the Clyde player doesn't really seem to do anything wrong in my opinion. From what I can see in the footage, he doesn't actually move to block the Berwick player, who dives into him, but continues his run back. Harsh red card though.

The footage is a bit deceptive in that it makes the obstruction look a bit accidental since it could be construed that O'Donnell is moving over to the man in possession. In the flesh, however, the blocking of Currie's run was pretty blatant. A typical case of taking one for the team.

Big issue for me on Saturday, apart from the fact that Nick Walsh is patently unfit to referee any match involving us, particularly when people called Currie are taking part, is our abject failure to close matches out when we're ahead.

That's the 4th time in 5 competitive matches this season we've failed to hold on to a lead - QP in the cup, Morton (2nd game), East Fife and now Clyde that we've led and thrown it away. We're scoring goals for fun - 12 in 4 league games - and carry threats from all over the park. None of our defenders is playing badly, though Johnny is a bit of a penalty-box bombscare at the minute, and the ploy of having Cameron or Notman screening the back 4 provides extra defensive cover. In Billy Bald, we've got one of the league's best keepers.

So why can't we keep a lead? We should have been out of sight on Saturday after tearing Clyde a new one for most of the opening 45, and still had chances to win it after Lee Currie was red carded, so creating chances isn't a problem, but jeez, we're conceding some pish goals. 2 daft penalties so far, and a shocking 1st to McManus on Saturday. I'm sure the management team will be drilling it into the players that closing games out is imperative if we're going to have a serious pop at the title.

On the plus side, David Gold was excellent again on Saturday, as was Dean Hoskins. Willis was disappointing, and Stevie Notman had'nt trained all week which clearly affected his performance. The 2 week break will give the likes of Dargo (broke his nose in training), Gray, Notman, Paul Currie and Steven Tulloch the chance to recover from knocks so we should have a strong squad available for Annan. I hear there were a frew trialists in the team that won 3-1 at Musselburgh last week, including former Arbroath player Banjo.

For what its worth; I thought Berwick were a very decent side, obvoiusly in the first 55 mins; then seemed jsut to switch off. Don'y know if is a fitness problem or what. I would say that it was the least effective Colin Cameron was in all the games I have watched him. Is his age catching up?

Just an observtion he did not seen to protect the back four the way I have seen in the past. Still a very, very good player and this is not a critisism just perhaps a fact of time passing for us all including him, should he be giving himself the hour then a change?

Archived