Yes voters: Do you think it will happen?

Yeah, I do. Although I certainly wouldn't put money on it.

The momentum is with the Yes camp but they are constantly having to fight against the dirty tricks from large swathes of the media and from UK civil service. The very fact that it's got closer with all the amount of shite, fear and doom being thrown about by the Bitter camp only goes to show there is a distinct chance.

Lovely to see you wallowing in your own discomfiture.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was pretty despondent a couple of weeks ago but I'm growing more and more confident as the days pass.

The saying 'a week is a long time in politics' is very apt - and those folk that have said its been wrapped up for a long time are very misguided. They may predict the correct result - but they are wrong to think that Yes can't win. They absolutely can. They need to keep the momentum going and never let up until the polls close on the 18th.

My biggest fear is that the full force of the British establishment is currently being wound up and rolled out. All sorts of favours will be getting called in over the last few weeks and I certainly wouldn't underestimate the fear that they can generate - and the impact that it might have. I guess I hope it is over-egged a bit (like the recent advert) and therefore ends up having the opposite effect.

The main obstacles to a Yes vote (now BT have pretty much inadvertently ushered themselves out the picture) are

a) stubborn old people

b) the media.

The bias in the mainstream media (ahem, Alan Cochrane) is horrific, but you genuinely worry some poor sods will be taken in by it all

No, I don't think it will happen, unfortunately.

I do think we'll be independent at some point within my lifetime, but not this time.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

I was pretty despondent a couple of weeks ago but I'm growing more and more confident as the days pass.

The saying 'a week is a long time in politics' is very apt - and those folk that have said its been wrapped up for a long time are very misguided. They may predict the correct result - but they are wrong to think that Yes can't win. They absolutely can. They need to keep the momentum going and never let up until the polls close on the 18th.

My biggest fear is that the full force of the British establishment is currently being wound up and rolled out. All sorts of favours will be getting called in over the last few weeks and I certainly wouldn't underestimate the fear that they can generate - and the impact that it might have. I guess I hope it is over-egged a bit (like the recent advert) and therefore ends up having the opposite effect.

Sums up my recent and current thoughts perfectly.

Was really down about it over the last month and resigned myself to a not so close loss, lost the faith a bit and stopped speaking about it.

Then I had a chance meeting with Nicola Sturgeon when driving through Brechin in the pissing rain a couple of Sunday's ago that got me back on track, then the debate and everything positive that's happened since has got me feeling optimistic again, back trying to convince soft no/DK voters to see the light with some positive results this week.

So I would say I was cautiously optimistic before I read this thread, then someone says it'll take over 1.5m people to vote No to retain the status quo and I'm now convinced we'll win, and win comfortably with 55%+.

Still not sure - having been at Dens Park in '86 when Hearts threw away the league championship in the last 9 minutes, I'm a bit pessimistic about good things coming to fruition.

However, I think things are shifting and that the polls don't reflect most of working class Scotland. In short, if the schemes, old industrial and mining towns, unemployed and foodbank clients come out then Yes will walk it.

A Yes-voting friend told me today that his dad has come to Yes since the debate on Monday. No great shakes maybe but apart from being a bitter auld sod who thinks 'they're all the same', he comes from a staunch Belfast Loyalist family and used to 'march' when he was young.

I think it will be close though but hopefully the positivity and enthusiasm of the Yes side (for the most part) will carry it.

I haven't read the thread yet. I wanted to get my thoughts down "unfettered" as it were.

I have always been optimistic. That optimism has wobbled on occasion, but I've never thought we can't do it.

However, with Eck crushing wee Ally, #patronisingBTlady and what I'm hearing about the grassroots Yes movement, I'm now sure of a Yes win. And a more convincing one than most people think.

Can we do it? f**k YES!

Sums up my recent and current thoughts perfectly.

Was really down about it over the last month and resigned myself to a not so close loss, lost the faith a bit and stopped speaking about it.

Then I had a chance meeting with Nicola Sturgeon when driving through Brechin in the pissing rain a couple of Sunday's ago that got me back on track, then the debate and everything positive that's happened since has got me feeling optimistic again, back trying to convince soft no/DK voters to see the light with some positive results this week.

So I would say I was cautiously optimistic before I read this thread, then someone says it'll take over 1.5m people to vote No to retain the status quo and I'm now convinced we'll win, and win comfortably with 55%+.

Careful. I said that that's if it's a 75% turnout. It's just an example.

People look too much at the percentages and not enough at the actual votes they represent.

YES YES a thousand times YES. The 19th of September will see us all wake up (those of us who go to bed) with the historic and once in a hundred lifetimes feeling that we will be responsible for our own destiny. YES it will happen.

Careful. I said that that's if it's a 75% turnout. It's just an example.

People look too much at the percentages and not enough at the actual votes they represent.

You can't bring me down brother, if its an 80% turn out they'll need 1.6m No's..

My revised figure is 58.6% Yes (smiley face).

I'm getting more confident but in the end I think we're asking too much. In 20 years i think we'll get it.

Why wait 20 years when we could do it now? :)

I mean for f**k sake how bad do people want it to get before they'll vote Yes? If stories of people eating beans with their bare hands doesn't then nothing will.

Why wait 20 years when we could do it now? :)

I mean for f**k sake how bad do people want it to get before they'll vote Yes? If stories of people eating beans with their bare hands doesn't then nothing will.

This.

Soooo much this.

Then I had a chance meeting with Nicola Sturgeon when driving through Brechin in the pissing rain a couple of Sunday's ago that got me back on track,

Did she flag you down seeking shelter from the adverse conditions, flash a bit of leg, and provocatively offer you 'a ride for a ride'?

This is pretty much how I've been feeling recently. The lack of movement in the polls left me without much optimism and a lot of people I know didn't have much concern or knowledge about what it's actually about.

I know that the first debate was a disappointment but it marked the start of the proper discussion. People are now paying attention to what's going on and there have been less 'ah cannae stand Salmond' statements from people. A strange eerie silence seems to have taken over my Facebook feed and people seem to be taking things seriously now.

Every single time we've seen evidence of higher public engagement then the yes vote has gone up and that's a pretty amazing trend to have on your side. 3%+ to win with three weeks to go and the whole of the country tuned in - I fancy our chances.

My big worry is that the UK Government engage in the sort of behaviour that you've mentioned and we see an incumbency effect kick in on the day. Saying that we don't really know how accurate the polls are until the vote happens.

Did she flag you down seeking shelter from the adverse conditions, flash a bit of leg, and provocatively offer you 'a ride for a ride'?

Sort of, but I had 3 kids and a wife asleep in the car so just took a sticker for the window.

Archived