Wages in Juniors

secret_admirer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I supect the OP understates the level of overall wages being paid to playing staff and mgt at the club in question once you take into account expenses and bonuses - whether the individual numbers are accurate or not (which in any case don't add up to £1170). Anyone who is a club member will get access to the accounts on an annual basis. These tend not to break down wages but they will account for all of the wages and bonuses paid over a season. I'm aware of what my own club has paid out on a fairly consistent basis over the years and I don't regard the amounts as excessive as a % of turnover which is usually a good indicator of how healthy or otherwise a football club is.

Tbf, it is an interesting topic - albeit one which can rarely be based on provable facts - for 2 main reasons. Firstly, and most obviously, it demonstrates the gulf in practice between clubs within the Junior game themselves... on the one hand you'll have some spending tens of thousands of £ per year on wages, on the other hand you'll have some which are effectively amateur.

Secondly, there is the interesting strategic question... none of these players are full-time or competing with full-time clubs = they won't move for football = if everyone cut their wage bill by 50% then (prettymuch) no player should wish to move to another club. For a club spending £44k a season on wages, that could leave £22k to spend on youth teams or facilities.

Same applies in the Highland League, where a number of clubs spend silly money on local players every though they're only competing with each other for them.

You could apply the same logic across all of football though. If everybody halved their wages then we'd all be better off. But we are competing with each other and we all want our club to have the best players, this ultimately means clubs will pay the best money they can afford(and beyond sometimes). The only real way to control it to any degree is to increase the requirements for youth teams or facilities. If the super league made a rule to meat entry licensing or clubs had to run youth systems with teams from u12s to u20s then wages would come down to afford that.

A multiple account, supposed whistle blower, who's just fishing for info. Sad way to spend your evening sir.

As as aside why would one of top committee members of a well run junior club divulge this information. I smell shiite.

A very poor post to divulge such information - how much any club pays is their business and the player in question.

Years of experience within the junior game, tells me one thing Players are in most cases overpaid (but that's my opinion and it's all about the price a club are willing to pay)

But very few players will ever give you the whole truth on their wages to others - I know plenty examples where Player A exagerates the level to Player B. Player B then asks for that figure and is unhappy because he is offered the real figure that Player A is on. So this then creates disharmony within the dressing room - a player will take the huff and move on etc. Often finding that the grass isn't greener on the otherside as he first thought.

Looks like someone is trying to ruffle up the Newtongrange squad.

Not accurate figures, my mates on your we list.

Pretty bang average wages for super league IMO. 200 or so fans at a fiver a pop takes care of that

I have no reason to ''fish'' for any information or cause problems as the info was given to me during a conversation regarding business and the sustainability of junior football, i've been to a few game at clubs like bonnyrigg, Dalkeith, Newtongrange and none really got anymore than 70/80 spectators and a few where kids so that wouldn't cover the wages going out, also remember teams play away for half the season aswell so instead 200 spectators paying £5 per head they would need to get 400 spectators which is highly unlikely unless they get to most finals which will earn them a bit of money.

And the reason its this club as this info came to from a member within the organisation and if it was another club i'd be happy to ask the same question if i felt the amount was far what i expected of a junior club.

It is rather "specific" information my friend to believe was a "conversation".

So your source had everything in his head and you remembered every detail he told you.

As for the information itself I have no reason to doubt its possiblity (In my experience). Particularly because you have mentioned + Bonuses, which is fairly commonly paid for a set number of appearances or a shutout etc.

Also again from my experience those headline weekly wages will be pummelled down by non-appearances at training, fines etc

I await the link to Hurlford/Medda/Maryhill/ Bathgate etc etc etc

This stuff performs no reasonable function as it's nobody's business other than the club concerned what they pay and I can't see that this person has any affinity with the club he is hinting at and as another poster says " I smell shiiiiiite"

I have no reason to ''fish'' for any information or cause problems as the info was given to me during a conversation regarding business and the sustainability of junior football, i've been to a few game at clubs like bonnyrigg, Dalkeith, Newtongrange and none really got anymore than 70/80 spectators and a few where kids so that wouldn't cover the wages going out, also remember teams play away for half the season aswell so instead 200 spectators paying £5 per head they would need to get 400 spectators which is highly unlikely unless they get to most finals which will earn them a bit of money.

And the reason its this club as this info came to from a member within the organisation and if it was another club i'd be happy to ask the same question if i felt the amount was far what i expected of a junior club.

You've had your bites now away create another account for some more attention

Yaya toure is on 200k per week. I'd say that's a bit more outrageous.

Away and moan on a city forum

Aye but they forgot his birthday cake, tight arse's.

Don't see the issue here if club can afford it what's the problem?there has been a number of players turned down league 2/3 of the seniors to sign junior!!No surprise some junior clubs can afford decent wages!! The ones posted are actually reasonable

You could apply the same logic across all of football though. If everybody halved their wages then we'd all be better off. But we are competing with each other and we all want our club to have the best players, this ultimately means clubs will pay the best money they can afford(and beyond sometimes). The only real way to control it to any degree is to increase the requirements for youth teams or facilities. If the super league made a rule to meat entry licensing or clubs had to run youth systems with teams from u12s to u20s then wages would come down to afford that.

You can't apply it domestically much above the non-leagues.

Players in SPFL sometimes choose between being full-time on low working pay, or part-time on decent "top-up" money.

Full-time players will also consider going abroad for their work. Part-time footballers won't move for football.

You can't apply it domestically much above the non-leagues.

Players in SPFL sometimes choose between being full-time on low working pay, or part-time on decent "top-up" money.

Full-time players will also consider going abroad for their work. Part-time footballers won't move for football.

Yes spfl players will sometimes have to decide between full time and part time. But the reason that is a decision they need to make is that larger pt clubs pay enough to make players think twice about going full time . That works in juniors as well, if top end juniors want to get a player ahead of lower end spfl sides they need to pay high enough wages, maybe getting away with paying slightly less given lower travel and the overall more relaxed attitude to players in the juniors. And if juniors slightly further down want to prevent their star players leaving to join the bigger junior sides they end up paying more themselves.

You simply can't stop clubs paying the absolute maximum they can, the domino effect takes place too easily to stop that. All it takes is one club to offer one player more and soon wages across the board are higher. The best way to have any sort of control over it is o require all clubs to meet certain off-field standards. And even then you should be doing that because its the right thing , not as a way of controlling wages.

I can assure you this is correct, I'm sure Bathgate thistle a few years ago payed alot of money (not sure amounts) to players under the guidance William hill (manager was his brother) and they almost went out of business... but not sure if it was similar amount above or more, but this maybe been a one of type of thing.

but going on your answer its telling me this is NOT the norm?

william hill was the manager not his brother.

Archived