Stranraer v Dunfermline

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ross Millen confirming that he is a liability.

Quote I hear all the time is that Millen is preferred to Williamson because of his defensive ability.

I've yet to see that.

Zoinks.

Scored a deflection goal and his team lost the game, hardly a backfire statement from myself. Still stand by that he's shite. Plays for Stranraer for a reason.

We dominated 1st half got ourselves 1-0 up through Gozie had 2 big chances to increase lead, then from a long punt up field we missed the header guy was in he jumped over last man tackle went 2 yards into box fell down ref given free kick and red card when he should have been booking player for diving. Deflected free kick and it is 1-1 and we are suddenly all at sea and lucky to go in level. Malcolm punches ball into net, gets second yellow card, Geggan misses sitter, then Williamson puts ball on plate for Moffat 2-1. Late pressure by Stranraer but Dunfermline hold on for the win

Just back and pleased with that result today. As mikedafc alludes to above, I felt we were comfortable early on once Gozie scored without carving out loads of chances - although Ryan Thomson did have a good chance with a header that he might've done better with. Stranraer weren't causing many problems but they got the free-kick at the edge of the area. I was at the far end and it looked to me the correct decision - Millen was certainly the last man and the Stranraer player was going through on goal. Other fans slightly closer suggested there wasn't any contact, but if the ref gives the foul it's a red card. The deflected free-kick from Gibson was a double whammy and after that Stranraer put more pressure and we did well to see it to half-time and re-organise.

I thought we started well after the break and then their boy was sent off. Absolutely senseless for him to punch the cross into the net; he could've stooped to head or even try and chest it in! Thereafter we got back on top and were looking comfortable, and I have to say, I loved our winning goal. Great run from Williamson, the cut-back to Moff who then did superbly to drag the ball away from his marker and slot a composed finish home.

We were on top but when Gozie went off, Stranraer again came at us for the final 10-15 minutes and had a couple of decent headed chances which we were a bit fortunate didn't cause more concern. Overall though, I felt we shaded it and just about merited the win.

Some good performances in our team. Gozie and Moff are developing a good understanding, while I thought Josh was a driving force in midfield. But for me, Gregor Buchanan was superb at the back - hardly missed a header or tackle all day. Led the backline well.

Very good three points at a difficult venue and sitting second in the league looks much better than after the defeat at Forfar. Great trip today and enjoyed the pre-match hospitality in the Stranraer Bowling Club.

Onwards and upwards!

A strange old game today.

For the first half hour so Stranraer looked a side that had never clapped each other on. The Pars looked in total control even with the score at 1-0 and the game dramatically when young Millen picked up the red card and Willie Gibson scored from the free kick and the game suddenly turned a full circle with the home side smelling blood and looking capable of going on and winning the game.

But I felt Craig Malcolm was walking a tightrope and that proved to be the case when he was sent packing early in the second half for pushing the ball into the net.. Good goal from Moffat. Thought Stranraer were worth a point but Andy Geggan could have a hat-trick for the Pars.

The result was fair, although it was a bit tense in the last few minutes. Although Stranraer had us under a bit of pressure in the last 10 mins of each half, they didn't manage to make many real chances - I can only think of a save Scully made from a 20 yard shot just before the winner, and a header a couple of feet over the bar.

We were well on top in the first half hour with Stranraer looking really poor and nothing like the side that we played 6 very competitive games against last year. Huge turnaround with us going down to 10 and losing an equaliser immediately, and it was a relief to make it in to half time stll at 1-1. A good recovery after half-time, helped of course by a moment of stupidity that made it 10 a side. The winner was a pretty good goal - excellent, calm play from Moffat to take that ball and work the space to get his shot away for the winner, and he had an excellent game. Aside from the goal, he just contributes so much to the team, much of it is being unspectacular graft, but work that makes such a difference.

A decent display and a good result this afternoon.

JJ deserves a bit of credit for keeping two forwards on the park after going down to 10 men. Pars looked in a bit of bother after Gibson equalised, but once Craig Malcolm stupidly got himself ordered off we took control again.

JJ did show his old failings by moving to a 4-4-1 for the last ten minutes, and had Jamie Longworth been able to get any of his free headers on target, we could easily have ended up with one point or worse from this match.

And what is it with Willie Gibson? I recall him putting in a fair few decent shifts for us back in the day, before moving south for some preposterous sum.

Did he really deserve the foul-mouthed abuse he (and his wife ) were subjected to from a few of our number in the Coo Shed?

I just found it embarrassing and unnecessary.

A few pix from the game can be found at the foot of this page, should anyone be interested:

http://ian38018.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/stair-park-stranraer.html

People probably still upset over him sticking his middle finger at the away crowd during his last game for us against Thistle.

This.

Many of our supporters are precious wee arseholes

In terms of us hating him I see not much reason too, he did a good turn for us and whilst he seems to be very petulant when he was with us his ability was enough to ignore/put up with it, at most of his other clubs it seems the balance was the other way but that doesn't bother me.

However it was clear when he played for us he can allow the crowd to get the better of him and therefore I can't really blame anyone at the game for trying to do that.

In terms of us hating him I see not much reason too, he did a good turn for us and whilst he seems to be very petulant when he was with us his ability was enough to ignore/put up with it, at most of his other clubs it seems the balance was the other way but that doesn't bother me.

However it was clear when he played for us he can allow the crowd to get the better of him and therefore I can't really blame anyone at the game for trying to do that.

That's fair comment - but I think there is a line most civilised folks should try to keep on the correct side of.

Most of it was fine, perfectly normal football banter and it's a wee bit odd to see folk moaning about something they didn't even experence. As the game was about to kick off, he lined up in hs normal wide position which happened to be right in front of the Pars fans in the covered section. The disgraceful shouts and songs included 'we won the league wthout you', 'Willie, what's the score?', me telling him he looked more of a fat c**t now than I ever remembered before, folk telling hm he was a waster, and the classic 'waaaayy' as he hit a poor shot about 10 feet over the bar. Woo. There was one shout from my pal that went a bit too far that nobody else took up. Overall it really wasn't anything a former player who could be a bit of a tit, and who was often affected by a crowd gettng on his back, wouldn't get anywhere.

As for the comment about Jefferes showing old failings by gong to 4-4-1 - a really odd thing to say. For most of the second half we had a loose 3-4-2, but when defending it pretty much always became 4-4-1 wth Moffat dropping off into midfeld and one of the midfield players going back to cover at full-back. Towards the end it was mainly the 4-4-1 by default, simply because we were under pressure and having to defend. Also, the two who had played up front were clearly knackered. The shouts from a couple of folk to leave two up were utterly ludicrous, given the score and the way the game was going.

Archived