Worried about the vote credibility.

Polarcola

Whether you wish to vote Yes or No, this referendum is an excellent example of how mature the UK is about these things.

We've had none of the Spanish or even Canadian issues with actually getting here - the UK government has respected the right of the SNP to hold this vote, and has agreed to respect the result whatever it is.

We are lucky to live in such a fair-minded democracy.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree though. The press has been one sided, been BT's mouthpiece.

The press are independent m8.

And the press haven't been one sided - that's a complete lie.

Just to check though - do you believe that the government should have instructed a random half of the press that they had to support Yes or No?

"Hi, is that the Times? Just to say, your editorial line for the Scottish reeferndum has been picked for you by us. You got Yes. Thanks. Bye"

Is that how it would go?

Is this an attempt at humour or just stupidity?

I think the stupidity is yours if you can't accept the mature, fair way in which the UK government have approached this subject.

Compare and contrast with Spain. Or Canada.

The press are independent m8.

And the press haven't been one sided - that's a complete lie.

It'll be fun, as usual, to see the front page the likes of The Sun and The Daily Mail run with on 17th/18th September.

Noose? Gravestone? Four horsemen of the apocalypse?

What exactly is ridiculous and silly about history and politics. It's like I am predicting aliens will blow up the moon rather than the very common repeated events throughout past and modern times where a majority and within that a minority of those, you find certain dedicated groups pushing whatever it takes to ensure their will.

The no's would need a victory in the high 60s and 70s for people to shrug and make this whole movement disappear.

You are seriously diluting yourselves if you don't think there could be different directions employed by certain elements and that would not be an uncommon occurrence in these events.

People do not change. These things do not change.

Or do you live in a different world with different political history than I.

It'll be fun, as usual, to see the front page the likes of The Sun and The Daily Mail run with on 17th/18th September.

Noose? Gravestone? Four horsemen of the apocalypse?

All with Salmond's face.

Make no mistake - this will be the most concerted media attack in Scottish history.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/31/scottish-independence-yes-vote-turnout-polls

"The Scots may vote no to independence this time. But history shows these movements intensify until something gives."

What this means is, even if the yes vote fails on 18 September, scoring somewhere in the mid 40s, the pattern of all future Scottish independence debates is set.

Independence has become a narrative of the people against big government; about an energised Scottish street, bar and nightclub versus the sleazy elite of official politics.

And in response, the left part of the pro-union camp has had to develop its own, "more radical than Darling" rationales. It's not something you hear from the Westminster parties, but via social media I have picked up a strong meme among Scottish trade union members that independence under the SNP is "not radical enough to bother".

Once established, political psychologies like this do not go away. History shows they intensify until something gives, and at some point it is usually the borders of a nation state.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/analysis/polls-apart-on-scottish-independence-284376.html

The pro-independence campaign complains that poll samples usually of around 1,000 people are far too small.

I dont dismiss opinion polls... but each opinion poll talks to 1,000 people, said Blair Jenkins, chief executive of Yes Scotland.

"We are talking to hundreds of thousands of people. We keep those numbers secret... but we know that theres a higher percentage voting yes than any poll is showing.

Archived