Airdrieonians v Stirling Albion

It was around £3,300 per game last season for the hire of the stadium & use of staff. The club then need to pay stewarding on top of this. Over 18 home games - it costs roughly £60,000 a year to rent.

So how do Queens Park manage to only charge £12?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people missing the point here. Of course an extra £3 isn't going to bankrupt anyone. But fans have their limits and for a lot of fans that limit comes in somewhere between £13 and £16 for League 1 football. Also, the cost of Airdrie's rent is completely irrelevant, because it has no influence on whether fans attend or not.

I firmly believe that Airdrie will lose revenue from away fans this season by pricing at £16 rather than £13, because enough fans will be put off going to outweigh the increase in revenue from each individual fan. That's not even taking programmes, food etc. into account.

I don't know whether it will affect home fans in the same way, because with season tickets and knowledge that your own club keeps the cash it's a bit different. But just because price reductions don't work to increase revenue, it does not follow that price increases will increase revenue.

More importantly, all of the above is looking at this from a short term perspective only. It doesn't take into account that continued high prices, season after season, gradually push more and more loyal fans away, who will more often than not, be lost permanently. Airdrie's dwindling attendances in the last 10 years suggest that is the case.

I said I was out but....

I think you're wrong. I genuinely don't think that many people will be put off by the extra couple of quid. I'd also say there are many, many clubs who find their attendance dwindling, not just us. Football in general is overpriced but I believe I'm in the majority who wouldn't miss out on watching their team for the price of a pint. There were no great shouts about going to Ibrox being overpriced last season, and that was £18. It's a sad fact of life that we've got a white elephant stadium and an owner who's not prepared to lose anymore money, hence the price is what it is. All the hand-wringing and foreboding words in the world are not going to change it.

So how do Queens Park manage to only charge £12?

I'm sure QP own Hampden and therefore charge the SFA (and others) for use?

I said I was out but....

I think you're wrong. I genuinely don't think that many people will be put off by the extra couple of quid. I'd also say there are many, many clubs who find their attendance dwindling, not just us. Football in general is overpriced but I believe I'm in the majority who wouldn't miss out on watching their team for the price of a pint. There were no great shouts about going to Ibrox being overpriced last season, and that was £18. It's a sad fact of life that we've got a white elephant stadium and an owner who's not prepared to lose anymore money, hence the price is what it is. All the hand-wringing and foreboding words in the world are not going to change it.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Either way, it's the owner / boards that make the pricing decisions, not the fans, so from that point of view it's a futile argument as you say.

I said I was out but....

I think you're wrong. I genuinely don't think that many people will be put off by the extra couple of quid.

Using Alloa as an example again.

Last season they charged £13 to get in- we took 600 odd

This season they charged £16- we took 300 if that.

Even a couple quid is enough to put some people off. A line needs to be drawn somewhere and £16 is far too expensive for a Scottish League 1 relegation scrap game.

A lot of people missing the point here. Of course an extra £3 isn't going to bankrupt anyone. But fans have their limits and for a lot of fans that limit comes in somewhere between £13 and £16 for League 1 football. Also, the cost of Airdrie's rent is completely irrelevant, because it has no influence on whether fans attend or not.

I firmly believe that Airdrie will lose revenue from away fans this season by pricing at £16 rather than £13, because enough fans will be put off going to outweigh the increase in revenue from each individual fan. That's not even taking programmes, food etc. into account.

I don't know whether it will affect home fans in the same way, because with season tickets and knowledge that your own club keeps the cash it's a bit different. But just because price reductions don't work to increase revenue, it does not follow that price increases will increase revenue.

More importantly, all of the above is looking at this from a short term perspective only. It doesn't take into account that continued high prices, season after season, gradually push more and more loyal fans away, who will more often than not, be lost permanently. Airdrie's dwindling attendances in the last 10 years suggest that is the case.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with this.

I don't know about yourself (or any one else), but I don't look at how much it's going to cost me to get in until I get there. Whether it's £10 or £16 it's not really a massive difference at the end of the day.

At Airdrie it's obviously out of necessity we charge £16 as opposed to just milking away fans.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with this.

I don't know about yourself (or any one else), but I don't look at how much it's going to cost me to get in until I get there. Whether it's £10 or £16 it's not really a massive difference at the end of the day.

At Airdrie it's obviously out of necessity we charge £16 as opposed to just milking away fans.

You are another guilty of missing the point. Of course £10 or £13 or £16 for a one off game doesn't make much difference to most people. But £16 is simply higher than most people are willing to pay at this level. If you are serious about not looking at the price before you go, I would suggest you are in a small minority.

Also, the rent argument is completely irrelevant. If putting the price up means lower revenue, this is true regardless of what the rent is. If putting the price up means higher revenue, this is still true regardless of what the rent is! That may well be the reason the Airdrie board use for the high prices - if so, they are either 1) lying; or (less likely) 2) barking mad.

You are another guilty of missing the point. Of course £10 or £13 or £16 for a one off game doesn't make much difference to most people. But £16 is simply higher than most people are willing to pay at this level. If you are serious about not looking at the price before you go, I would suggest you are in a small minority.

Also, the rent argument is completely irrelevant. If putting the price up means lower revenue, this is true regardless of what the rent is. If putting the price up means higher revenue, this is still true regardless of what the rent is! That may well be the reason the Airdrie board use for the high prices - if so, they are either 1) lying; or (less likely) 2) barking mad.

You're getting very upset over this.

I've been going home and away for over 20 years and never once have I, or for that matter, anyone else I know bothered to look up the prices before I go to a ground. That's mostly because you've got a rough idea how much it's going to be in this division. Never in all my years of travel have I tipped up at a gate and been, say, £3 short. What did you do before the days of the internet? Phone the club to check you had the right budget to go to the game? To say anyone who doesn't check prices is in a "small minority" is utter tripe.

We've charged £16 for several years. The state of our team on the park is directly related to our attendance. As attendances have dwindled, our team has got worse yet the main reason for the piss poor attendance we have now is years of terrible, terrible teams - we're trapped in a vicious circle of shit teams - low attendance, low attendance - shit team . We got over 1000 charging £15/£16 four/five years ago, we've got 600 now and we're charging £16 - I don't see where you are drawing your prices/attendance correlation from. The price hasn't gone up, it's remained static.

Like just about everyone else, I'm guilty of jumping on the back of this thread to pass comment on something other than the game. Just shows you what a feast of entertainment we are expecting when the Airdrie/Albion thread is mainly a debate about pricing.

Shopping with the wife anyone?

Archived