CLASH OF THE TITANS: Clyde-OKI v BRFC

My opinion/view on the red card was; currie was running past o'donnell who seemed to have his arm up stopping currie from running past him, (where it was up before or he put it up to stop him I am not sure) then currie and o'donnell rolled on the ground and currie seemed to be on top of o'donnell holding him down and then the ref stepped in.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Signs of how well we can play and how badly we can play - we looked shaky in defence throughout but were the better team in the second half. O'Donnell was a bit tentative in the first half, sitting a bit too deep, but was like a more mobile and all-round better Janczyk and imposed himself on the game in the second half. He and Ferguson both sitting deep would be absolutely beautiful to see. Three hilariously shambolic goals in the first half, each brilliantly comical in its own special way. The second half saw better goals - Berwick did well to cut us open (but it was worrying how easy it was), and Daly changed it for us by playing Ferguson in to win the penalty and later scoring. Surprised to see O'Donnell's cross described as inch perfect; I was just about in line with it and, although it was a good ball in, Daly had a lot to do to get it on target, never mind in the bottom corner.

Would agree that McColm's release is strange unless another left midfielder is lined up - Frances was nearly always out of position or standing off too much and McKinnon is far better at left back.

Stole a point. Hopefully the players some heart from playing shite, and I'm being kind saying that, and taking a point against a very decent Berwick side. Mick Daly and Odd are the only ones that come out with any credit today. Winning the penalty aside, wee Fergie was very very poor. Barely touched the ball and at times I forgot he way playing. Granted he wasn't getting much service but he just looked off today in general.

Our 4 points have been scarcely deserved. Thankfully it's still early in the season that we can sort things out. Since the Ayr match I can't say I've been impressed.

We were rotten for large chunks of the game and were fortunate to come away with a point. The defence looked very shaky and Frances was hopeless. We gave far too many needless fouls with Frances by far the worst culprit. I hope a left side midfielder is one the new signings as mckinnon can't play in midfield. Up front Watt was hopeless again and we should start with Daly and McManus in the next game. O'Donnell still looked a very good player.

Would also like to add that McManus looks to be a good find. Two easy goals today but he's got a great work ethic, quick feet and is good at linking up the play. From 45 minutes together it looks like he and Daly could form a fruitful partnership. Had doubts over a 4-4-2 type formation but with O'Donnell in there we can retain possession pretty well.

Last year, our defence was our forte. We were hard to score against which always gave us a chance, which was required as we often struggled to score. We seem to have completely lost the ability to defend though which is a huge concern. Although Berwick scored on half time with a lucky goal (I think it was Barclays OG btw, although terrific ball into the box), in truth they should have been well clear.

Second half was more purposeful from Clyde. Thought Daly did well and gave us more options as he has a bit more of a physical presence. Stonewall penalty for the second goal (I noted Cameron giving his defender pelters for the foul btw) and a great finish (and cross from O'Donnell) for the equaliser. Thought Berwick could have had a penalty as well. Although I was about 100 yards away, it looked like their player was held in the box late on.

I didn't see why Currie got sent off, but what I would say was that the ref was very close to the incident and had no doubts about what he saw.

All in all, Berwick will be very disappointed not to have secured 3 points. We were shocking in the first half (we were so easy to open up, it reminded me of Stuart Miller's team). Second half was much better.

I think it's going to take a good few weeks for the team to gel. Although we've got many of last seasons team, it's clear Ferguson is trying to play a different style from Duffy. Moving the ball through midfield more rather than the longer balls trying to find space for McCluskey and Ferguson behind defenders. What concerns me is that we simply might not have the players with the ability to hold the ball, pass and find space to receive it back if needed. O'Donnell will be such a player and he showed enough today to indicate that he'll add such much needed quality in midfield.

Even if we improve game on game over the next few weeks, I can't see us getting near the play offs. Ferguson is trying to change things dramatically and that will not be a quick process. I remain to be convinced that he's not trying to do things too quickly, but he deserves the chance to do his own thing.

Standing next to the incident, Clyde player made sure Currie was going nowhere, wrestles him to the ground, Lee took umbrage and although he didn't hit him, it could have been seen as a bit of afters. A bit of common sense that late in the game and both get a yellow. IMO. However, the ref, who had only booked one player. was desperate to leave his mark on what was a good game to watch. Berwick were superb first

Half hitting the bar twice and knocking the ball around for fun. 2nd half Clyde, went more direct and it worked for them. Thought Lavery was superb, worked his bullocks off, Gold was excellent and everywhere maybe we should have brought DL on a bit earlier to challenge their centre Halves a bit more. Impressed with the CC Revolution though, good football, everyone knows their jobs and with a bit of luck would have been 4 up at half time

First half was abysmal though and Ferguson has to go through them.

I don't think he does and I think he knows that himself listening to his post-match interview. He's piled plenty of pressure on his team (not a bad thing necessarily) and I think that showed in a first half where only really Marsh played to his potential (and that's ignoring the ridiculous free kick he gave away which led to the second goal). I've not seen McQueen play as poorly as he did today.

The first half formation was bizarre, with the four in midfield almost forming a diamond, with Ferguson and McKinnon tucking right in. I don't know if that was to counteract their midfield but it didn't really work as none of the four players went with runners and Ferguson wasn't involved offensively. Add Durie standing miles off Maxwell at every opportunity and it was no surprise that they had so many chances. O'Donnell was far too conservative with his passing and Sinclair wasn't involved. The front two had very little to work with and as poor as Watt was, McManus wasn't really much better.

Second half we pushed Ferguson wider and tucked McKinnon in and we had a lot more of the ball as a result. Daly's introduction obviously made a huge difference. Their third, as well worked as it was, came against the run of play but we responded well and Daly's header for the equaliser was outstanding. Incidentally, the move leading up to the penalty was terrific as well; starting with Barclay's pass to McQueen inside our own box. I didn't think the introduction of Gibson helped at all as it opened up our midfield and let Berwick back in the game before the red card.

Although many aspects today were disappointing I'd agree that there were positives. Barclay and Marsh mistakes for the second goal aside, were both excellent. The manager made changes in system and personnel that affected the match in a positive fashion. O'Donnell will be terrific at this level. Watching Ferguson during the warm-up whets the appetite as his touch and composure is a class above the rest of our team. McManus will clearly score us goals and Daly has been netting plenty of goals since his nightmare at Stirling at Christmas.

Negatives would be Durie who shouldn't be anywhere near the front post at corner kicks (or in the team at all to be honest as he is poor going forward and feeble defensively), Frances, who has a superb attitude but doesn't go near the halfway line and Sinclair, who does plenty of good things but his lack of pace is a serious problem.

I'm absolutely looking forward to battering my F5 key over the next week. Hopefully we'll bring in more O'Donnell's than Durie's.

No surprises from Berwick really; good football, outstanding set pieces from Currie, not enough conviction defensively. No idea how Maxwell (who looks twice the player he was at Shire now that he's playing with good players) and Cameron lasted the 90 minutes as their impact after an hour was almost non-existant.

Shocking 1st Half today. Looked like 11 strangers on the pitch.

The lack of cohesion and confidence was extremely worrying, possibly an after effect of the Ibrox debacle.

All 3 goals lost were shocking. The first a poorly defended corner, 2nd an uncharacteristic mistake from JB, and the 3rd a defender (Durie ?) completely losing his man 6 yards out and allowing an unchallenged ball in for the Berwick lad to score.

We certainly improved after the break, Daly being the most obvious reason for this. Watt has already shown a few times why he was a bit part player last season, and for him to start ahead of Daly again was astounding. Come on BF, wise up !

Regarding the red card, O'Donnell clearly obstructed Currie, definitely a booking. However Currie clearly lashed out (hard to see whether a punch or otherwise). Ref was only yards away and looked to me to make the right decision.

Overall very lucky to get a point, only plus point was that we showed a lot of heart to get back in it.

Berwick fans must be wondering how the fk they didn't get the 3 points, a couple of cracking efforts off the bar, one of which would have been awarded goal of the season even after 3\4 games !!

Some seemingly obvious things wrong today, which is worrying for the future.

Apart from the Watt issue, we had a centre half playing left back and a left back playing in midfield, and this seemed to unsettle the rest of the defence.

Going forward, new players to come in, hopefully improving the team, however they need to be integrated into a formation that they can play in and understand.

We got away with it today, but that won't happen every week.

The Bully Wee is spot on with his analysis of CC and Maxwell. Maxwell especially looked fucked and in honesty I was disappointed not to see someone replace him. Not so much for ability, but when Clyde clearly had the momentum you need as few tired legs on the park as possible.

Lavery played really well but it was clear he was knackered. It was the right decision to take him off. I can see why, despite a fairly disappointing game so far on the ball, you'd keep Cameron on too. Watching him off the ball is amazing. He possesses leadership skills no one else at this level does.

But for me, with Ferguson running riot down the right already and Jacobs not playing his natural position, the last thing we needed was a lack of protection.

In fairness to CC and Horn, they've answered every question posed so far. I'd be highly surprised if they didn't manage to address one as simple as this in the coming weeks. For a starter, we'll have a full defence and soon have Gray, probably the divisions best left winger in there anyway, meaning Maxwell will likely be forced into the central role he thrived in at East Fife.

Frustrating not to pick up maximum points today, but the given our injury woes I'm pretty happy we managed to bang in 3 and dominate for the best part.

Archived