Elgin City sign Marvin Andrews

He's played well in the games he's had for us so far, and he provides experience that we're severely lacking in defense. He has his flaws, but so does every player in this division. With our limited CB options he's a great signing, and already a fan favourite.

Experienced guy who has played at a high level. Generally guys like him only come to this level if they think they can run the show.

If he can keep his defenders close to enable him to get his angles, he will be a formiddable opponent for most attacks. Will be of particular value in preserving points in the last 10 mins of games when losing teams start launching the ball.

Really looking forward to seeing how he handles John Gemmill - should be quite a match up.

The earlier comment about route one football sums it up - Big Marv laps that up - but get someone nippy to run at him and he turns like an ocean liner.

Something that's not been mentioned so far - he was also a decent threat at set pieces when he player for us - don't know if he still ventures that far up the park now.

I thought when Marv came out of the Juniors to us in January 2013 it was a wee favour for Todd Lumsden. When we freed him at the end of that season, we thanked him for his contribution and thought the great guy - which he obviously is - was finished. Astonishingly Forfar gave him a deal and even though he warmed their bench for the 2nd half of the season, he goes even further north now. I don't know where he lives but it's hard to understand why he goes to Elgin now. In response to shakey: Marv would handle Gemmill well but would be undone by the players playing around big John - wee Squib in particular, I think.

Who is going to expose him on a regular basis in League 2? Elgin had the worst defence last season but already have two clean sheets in three league games, and he wasn't culpable for East Stirlingshire's goals. He's done alright so far.

The likes of Lavery, Mackay and McManus will all tear him a new arsehole I think. He may well be surrounded by more mobile defenders but they can hardly be expected make up for gaping holes in defence as soon as a half decent run is made in behind him.

I also think you need to take into further consideration the gmes in which you're judging him. He done alright against Clyde who don't even have a striker, and although I'd have expected Scott Ferguson to cause him a few problems, he simply isn't a central player. East Fife meanwhile looked toothless up top even with McShane who seemed to struggle against defenders who were adept with the ball at their feet, and even let him have free headers as he was that isolated he'd just be giving it away. I missed the Shire game on Saturday so can't judge their strikeforce, but it's fair to say their options hardly put the fear into me pre-game either.

He's not an awful signing for Elgin in fairness, it's a signing that will likely pick them up a few key points against some shite sides now relegation is here, but come games against teams with more dynamic strikeforces or a higher insistence upon knocking it about, I'd expect him to be totally exposed.

You see a lot more of Elgin than I do certainly, I can tell that from whenever you write about them on Tellhimhespele, but if that's the type of signing Elgin fans are 'delighted' about, it says more about the state of their club than the state of this division.

if that's the type of signing Elgin fans are 'delighted' about, it says more about the state of their club than the state of this division.

Of course. They're not going to win the league. The point that we can both agree on is that it is all relative. The earlier part of your post writes off a third of the division. That's good enough to be an improvement on last season, even if the board will have expectations to finish in the play-offs at least.

Marvin Andrews is a good signing for Elgin.

Interestingly, I think I am correct on this one but Marvins first goal in Scottish football was scored at Annan. He was playing his first game for Livingston in a friendly at Galabank and headed in a corner at the clubhouse end.

Here's hoping no repeats !!

Marvin Andrews is a good signing for Elgin.

Interestingly, I think I am correct on this one but Marvins first goal in Scottish football was scored at Annan. He was playing his first game for Livingston in a friendly at Galabank and headed in a corner at the clubhouse end.

Here's hoping no repeats !!

haha just saw him pop up as a scorer and remembered reading this. What end of the ground did he score at?

Archived