Elgin City sign Marvin Andrews

So does Marvin. Astonishing that Elgin - who have started well - should see Marvin as an improvement to their defence.

Has he not been playing for Elgin but just as a trialist? Decent enough signing if teams are going route one. If there's movement and good passing around him he's awful.

I wasn't impressed with him on Saturday. Fair enough he provides excellent aerial ability but was useless at everything else. Elgin fans seemed to get a massive hard-on every time he touched the ball.

I thought he was okay after they had the lead. He was able to keep his fullbacks close to him and we didn't get Ferguson, our main dribbling threat, in and around him.

I thought he was okay after they had the lead. He was able to keep his fullbacks close to him and we didn't get Ferguson, our main dribbling threat, in and around him.

What I didn't get is that it was clear he was winning near enough everything in the air, but yet we kept insisting on playing the high ball into the box instead of either trying to take him on or putting the ball in low to the box. He was hardly tested on those fronts.

Hes the sort of defender weve been looking for plus I heard clyde and berwick were interested in him aswell and if your looking at another mans penis area youve came to watch the right sport

You've been looking for a pish defender?

I'm a bit bemused by the slagging he's getting here.

Elgin have mobile defenders around him. What they were crying out for was someone to dominate in the air. He has his weaknesses, but his strengths are greater than any other defender in the division. It takes all sorts to make a team and the Elgin side I saw on Saturday was as finely balanced a team I've seen from them in three years. He'll make cock-ups but there's no denying he has improved that defence considerably.

Who is going to expose him on a regular basis in League 2? Elgin had the worst defence last season but already have two clean sheets in three league games, and he wasn't culpable for East Stirlingshire's goals. He's done alright so far.

I wasn't impressed with him on Saturday. Fair enough he provides excellent aerial ability but was useless at everything else. Elgin fans seemed to get a massive hard-on every time he touched the ball.

He looked pretty good going into ground challenges as well, I thought. The only time Ferguson really got behind his marker into the box, Andrews slid in from nowhere to clear.

I remember him lumping a ball forward to no-one, but how often did that happen? More often than not he had Nicolson or MacPhee taking the ball from him and Cooper is good on the ball beside him. I really don't think he wastes possession any more than a typical League 2 centre-back under pressure.

Archived