ARFC VS Queens Park

As I understand it the club have had to apply to the council for permission to carry out works on the north terrace. We all know how quick council planning department moves so don`t expect work to start any day soon.

Gone are the glory days of the "Monklands Mafia"

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get that mate, surely if you wee on the other side you would still need to move your head?

Or are the Rovers investing in swivel chairs on the North Terrace?

Maybe used to sitting by the corner flag at Hampden where you can barely see the other end of the ground ;)

I'm guessing he actually means the fact the current stand (and cover) have pillars everywhere that mean there's not many areas where you can see both goals without a bit of movement. It isn't ideal, but at least there's plans been submitted to resolve it.

To me Gemmell and McGuigan are streets ahead of our other options.

McGuigan is excellent on the right wing, as James Ward discovered last season, but has a poor record in front of goal. I've discussed Gemmell's shortcomings and can't be part of his fan club until he sorts them out.

Dallas, like Gemmell, has a decent sitter conversion rate and is excellent at bringing others into play. His superior fitness and work ethic are why I'd consider starting him. We also have Ross McNeil, whom I know nothing about.

I will be honest, have been to Cliftonhill (used to live in Airdrie - pray for me on a seperate post) about 50-60 times and never haad an issue seeing, then again I used to stand either at the front or pretty close to the front, dug outs were a pain when the ball was close to them but beyond that it was a tidy wee ground.

What more do you want from Gemmell?? top scorer in the team with 3 goals in all competitions.... he is here to score goals and is doing just... hes never been a pacey player, he has a job to do and he is doing it well... how about getting behind the big man rather than run him down at every turn??

A rookie mistake there Paul - you have risen to the bait dangled by Albino. You are correct of course - Gemmill has never had pace to burn which makes Albino's point totally redundant (a bit like his sense of humour) . He offers so much more - ripped East Fife defence a new one last week - won everything in the air, fed his teammates and put their defence under pressure and chipped in with a goal. Of course that should be a "given" for any striker(Albino Rover bog standard retort No1)

Ask Albino his thoughts on Josh Mullin so far - a player he predicted in the pre-season thread would be a "diddy" - of course he was only playing "devil's advocate" (bog standard retort No2).

QP fans how is Darren Millar doing ? Never really got a chance under Ward - I thought he looked alright - in the same kind of mould as Martin McBride.

I've only seen 2 games this season but I've been impressed, as have the rest of the support and McPherson. He's got a tremendous delivery from set pieces, and actually scored from a corner against Clyde. Also had a belter of a goal against Berwick not given though was well over the line.

he's proving Stenny right not to offer him another year in League One.

Absolute nonsense. I was sobbing uncontrollably when he left and it still was the wrong decision and I'm sure 95% of Warriors fans would agree.

We also had the minority moaning about his moaning but in reality he's as good as anything in the bottom two leagues you just accept it.

I would rather have John Gemmell in his current state than half of the 'fit' players in our team.

QP fans how is Darren Millar doing ? Never really got a chance under Ward - I thought he looked alright - in the same kind of mould as Martin McBride.

All of Gall09's post plus the most attack-minded midfielder we've had since Martin McBride left. Presses and channels really well too. Looks like a key player for us this year. Likely to get a few goals too.

Another good home win for the Rovers: solid at the back with an efficient midfield, most of whom were at their best. Pollock outplayed Young again, a man of the match candidate until his early-ish substitution. I hope his injury isn't serious. Mark McGuigan didn't play well up front- he led the line poorly, winning nothing in the air, and his dive in the box was condemnable, although it looked like a foul on Ally Love moments earlier. I'm not sure about Josh Mullin's "dive"- he played for the foul but seemed to have been tripped.

Our manager's performance was a slight improvement on what I've seen so far - his tackling was better than his distribution - but I was more impressed by his attacking changes, which paid off wonderfully. I remain unconvinced by Ross McNeil, but after a slow start to his second spell with us, this afternoon Marc McKenzie performed very well, and scored a beauty. The starting eleven weren't terribly threatening in front of goal, and Squib was our saviour. I think he enjoyed it.

Protecting leads is our new speciality but we almost let Queen's Park back into it late. However, our best performers of the afternoon, the Dunlops, dealt with everything. After hardly putting a foot or hand wrong all game, Neil Parry gifted our opponents a last minute corner, from which his opposite number 1 should have scored. Queen's Park didn't look great: they were comfortable in possession in their own half but, on the whole, offered very little going forward. When they finally created a decent chance the resulting sitter was squandered. An improvement on last season.

We go into the international break in a great position, having taken full advantage of our home fixtures, but with two tricky away fixtures awaiting us when all those League Two superstars return from Dortmund. Pats on the back all round so far. Big test in September.

Queens need to play two up front . Look at goals scored in the table already. We are playing for a point at the start . No pace except on the bench . Looking like a long season . Give McElroy a chance from the start . What has happened to Davidson very fast and direct but can't make bench . Want more attacking football please .

Almost a copy and paste from last week's comments. Agree with bobthespider precisely. Gus has had seven months to build a new team but forgot to get the attackers. As I said last week McPherson looks likely but not on his own. As for the bench, Mr McPherson clearly wants to do it with his team, not so much from the old team. I also think he made an error subbing Berry and left to wonder if the attack that led to the goal would have got that far with Berry in position.

That said, we deserved at least a draw. AR lacked any fluency and for large parts of the game both teams cancelled each other out. In open play QP had the better creativity and some decent passages but the clever build-up play simply allows time to get ten men behind the ball. In the end, a splendid individual strike split the two teams.

MOTM: Muir for two tremendous saves and the most exciting QP attack of the day. Quinn had the best consistency of the rest.

Poor performance from us but can't ask for much more than 3 points when playing poorly! Thought Darren Young played well, despite shouts from within our support to sub himself off...one I'm not surprised from who is very negative on here and likes the sound of his own voice! Squibs goal was taken very well but to be fair to queens park they deserved something from the game.

By the way, kudos to our guests, the Judoists. Often you may as well bring out a cardboard cut-out of these B-listers for 2 minutes, but they got kitted out in full Rovers strips and stayed for the full game.

Our more honourable and valuable guests, IMO, were the Scottish Cup winners from St. Ambrose. Hopefully the more talented members of the team will remember the congratulations and welcoming hospitality given to them by the Rovers...

Archived