Has your employer published their opinion?

Le Tout P'ti FC

In light of DWP's "badly worded memo"...

Speaking to a pal today about the referendum - his employer is a strong No apparently.

My employer has no stated position, but the Partners' individually have made themselves known as pretty clear No voters.

Just wondered if many people had experienced their employer's sticking their oars in...?

Our CEO was publicly asked by a member of staff during an open meeting and his response was that it makes absolutely no difference to us as a company as we already operate in 20 countries around the world (and increasing yearly). One more won't make a blind bit of difference to us. Our global HQ will remain in Edinburgh.

In fact, if anything we should see a small upturn in business as any changes in the oil and gas sectors are good for us. Our business thrives on change.

Don't see any point in any employer doing this. All of them will wait to see what suits their business best in any future split of the UK.

If a right wing fat cat boosting agenda like the SNP propose of lowering corporation tax is instituted, they would be stupid not to consider either remaining here or moving here.

Don't see any point in any employer doing this. All of them will wait to see what suits their business best in any future split of the UK.

If a right wing fat cat boosting agenda like the SNP propose of lowering corporation tax is instituted, they would be stupid not to consider either remaining here or moving here.

So surely an increase in jobs would follow?

Actually don't bother answering that, I don't want to hear the same Joseph Stieglitz rubbish again.

So surely an increase in jobs would follow?

Actually don't bother answering that, I don't want to hear the same Joseph Stieglitz rubbish again.

Possibly. Though it's not clear this would have been the case.

The Canadian experience certainly showed that it was a gift to corporations and the individuals who benefitted from the CT cut were those executives looking for tasty bonuses.

Possibly. Though it's not clear this would have been the case.

The Canadian experience certainly showed that it was a gift to corporations and the individuals who benefitted from the CT cut were those executives looking for tasty bonuses.

And yet Canada have am average aggregated rate of corporation tax of 26.3% when all federal and provicial corporation tax is taken into account.

And yet Canada have am average aggregated rate of corporation tax of 26.3% when all federal and provicial corporation tax is taken into account.

The point is they lowered CT. And what they found was that corporations kept the extra money for themselves. It saw an increase in executive bonuses and it didn't see the supposed increase in investment proponents of a CT cut state.

I don't have a problem with the policy incidentally, as I've said before. But it needs to be recognised for what it is.

This is also true in the US.

I’ve argued frequently in the past that there is no there there–i.e.,
that lowering corporate tax rates will do nothing to create jobs. Instead, I’ve said, it will simply deliver an even higher profit margin to be skimmed off by the highest paid executives and, possibly, shareholders
. The higher profit margins are unlikely even to be used to increase workers’ shares of the corporate revenues through higher wages, a place where they could most help the economy other than new jobs created. Thus, the drive for “revenue neutral” corporate tax reform (cut corporate taxes, cut expenditures elsewhere to make up for the decreased corporate tax revenues) is just another example of corporatism as an engine of the modern form of US class warfare.

In 2004, Congress granted a tax holiday, and companies with big stashes of offshore profits attributable to valuable intangibles—that’d be pharma and tech—repatriated billions of dollars in the form of dividends and executive bonuses.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/12/new-study-confirms-that-lower-corporate-tax-rates-dont-create-jobs.html

Archived