Dundee vs Celtic - 31/08/14

Harkins didn't do too badly defensively. He made a few bad judgement calls here and there but other than that he was fine. Think it was correct to start him even considering the way we were playing as he's a player that can spark an attack from absolutely nothing and you need that in games where you don't expect many chances. As it turns out though, Celtic are hopeless and we created quite a few without the need for some GGH style inspiration.

Thought that was one of the worst games I have seen Harkins play in a dundee shirt. The amount of times he left us exposed with sheer lack of effort was unreal was lucky Jim and McGowan were there to help him out.

I know he isn't the greatest for pace or tracking back but today he looked like he was blowing out his arse after ten minutes. He looked so slow and laboured.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dundeefc1783, on 31 Aug 2014 - 17:29, said:

Thought that was one of the worst games I have seen Harkins play in a dundee shirt. The amount of times he left us exposed with sheer lack of effort was unreal was lucky Jim and McGowan were there to help him out.

I know he isn't the greatest for pace or tracking back but today he looked like he was blowing out his arse after ten minutes. He looked so slow and laboured.

Can't agree with that at all I'm afraid. Harkins done a decent job, far from his stunning best but looked decent enough. There was only 2 incidents where I was annoyed at him, the first was when McGowan had the ball and Harkins never made a move for him as he was standing 2 yards off McGowan and the other was when he decided to run into a crowd of Celtic players rather than look up and play the cross field pass to Roberts who was wide open.

One that hasn't had much praise for today was Stewart, at times he seemed everywhere. Like a lot I'd have been happy to take a point before the game but wow, I'm not sure if it was us being really good or Celtic being really crap but we were unfortunate not to take 3 points there. The Ref did his best for them, obviously I'm biased but there were some really dodgy calls, I was at the game so haven't seen it on TV, I'd be curious to see what the pundits made of some of the decisions. The guy who sits at the front of the mainstand and shouts at the officials every game was doing his nut, even getting Jim Spence 'telt' to make sure it was reported. :lol:

Another point against a team that normally beats us so as Mr Tesco says, "Every little helps".

Have said it before but I can see him play less and less as the season goes on, bags of talent but maybe not as much as he thinks he has and is never going to get the time in this league he seems to always want or needs

http://davidyoung.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/31-08-2014-Dundee-v-Celtic/G0000CPCy5Qs.Mrc/I0000rJ2i.1ITe1o '> http://davidyoung.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/31-08-2014-Dundee-v-Celtic/G0000CPCy5Qs.Mrc/I0000rJ2i.1ITe1o

Did anyone else see this boy before the game absolutely seething as a young boy had a union jack and was trying to get the police to take it off him

Better than that shower, pleasing. Pity about the result but them's the breaks. McGinn was awesome and Boyle and Roberts caused mayhem, just a shame we didn't get another goal out of it.

In what way were Dundee better?

Thought he was anonymous going forward today. Decent shift defensively though.

Was wider than he has played the last few games. Most of our play today came on the opposite flank with Roberts today but thought he put in a great shift today and is definitely finding his feet at this level and will turn out to be a good signing

Thought he was anonymous going forward today. Decent shift defensively though.

He was playing in more of a midfield role I thought so that probably kept him further back. I just seem to mind him getting stuck in quite a lot and that he was doing a lot of running. I've not seen his play that deeply and I thought he did it well.

Can't see Deila lasting long if these results keep up. I know it's not entirely his fault but there's no chance of us overhauling the squad for him.

You also thought McPake would be 'exposed'

A few times he got done for pace. Not saying he had a bad game just that his lack of pace is an issue. Celtic in the first half were toothless. For a period in the second half you rode your luck, same as celtic did with boyle's bad decisions.

When celtic did have their spell your defence then sat a bit deeper which protected him. Probably a deliberate tactic and a good one as it then got you back to the counter-attacking style that caused the problems in the first half.

CowdenConvert, on 31 Aug 2014 - 18:35, said:

A few times he got done for pace. Not saying he had a bad game just that his lack of pace is an issue. Celtic in the first half were toothless. For a period in the second half you rode your luck, same as celtic did with boyle's bad decisions.

When celtic did have their spell your defence then sat a bit deeper which protected him. Probably a deliberate tactic and a good one as it then got you back to the counter-attacking style that caused the problems in the first half.

McPake has not let us down since he joined. His lack of pace isn't really an issue tbh. He's been a rock for us so far.

Archived