Early impressions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we still don't know our best formation, our best player has started on the bench in more games than he's started on the field, our defence looks terrifyingly bad, and our manager hasn't worked out his best starting eleven yet. Too many new players at once is bad.

So yeah, I'm pretty happy, easy European qualification for County.

Excellent start for us. We've looked very solid at the back, having such a settled line up really helps. This is the third season our back four have been regulars together and it really shows.

In the middle, I think that the pairing of Draper (hard working, presses opposition and is strong) with Tansey (uses the ball so well) has been key to our good start. Both complement each other well and have been performing very well. Having Ryan Christie in the tricky number 10 role is a huge boost as well and, without being unkind, the injury to James Vincent has helped us get a proper shape with Marley Watkins' pace, power and directness so important.

Up front Billy Mckay looks dangerous and still seems to work just as hard.

For Killie I think we've done a lot better in the transfer market than we did last year. The team's tactics have improved, our defence looks more resolute than last year (having Hamill back is good and our new left-back Chris Chantler looks more than decent). We'll never replace Kris Boyd, but other players have been chipping in welcome contributions, and when Craig Slater plays he runs the show.

I'm a lot happier than last year and I think we'll do enough to cement a place in mid-table mediocrity, which would be much better than a relegation battle.

We look like we always do, solid, dependable and capable of having completely awful matches that come from nowhere.

We lack a goal threat, obviously, but I don't think its going to hamper us greatly. We still create plenty of chances and its just pure bad luck we've not scored more (or had numerous penalties). Scobbie gives us a different dimension to Wright at the back, and despite weakening us by over playing it sometimes, his pace is a massive plus. We've still got Lappin and Davidson to bring into the midfield, and are still after another striker. It'll be easier to judge after another month or so.

In two of the three games I've seen we've ranged from outstanding to poor, and I'd expect that to continue throughout the season. We'll likely see more silly dropped points like yesterday's than we do the thrashings like we dished out to County, otherwise we'd be qualifying for Europe and we have neither the consistency or squad depth to do that.

I've only ever expected a tough season anyway, and I think 40 points would be an excellent target for us to reach: it would signal an improvement from last season and would almost certainly see us safe. I think we have a good chance of getting there seeing as, fully fit, we're able to put a strong team on the park, and because we're still looking to add a few players in this window. Higginbotham and the likes can win us points on their own, but the inconsistency of the likes of O'Donnell, Balatoni and our fringe players will keep us down towards the foot of the league.

Well pleased with our start 5/6 of our players are new to the level so to have 1 win 3 draws is a good start maybe lacking up front but def/mid are working hard and difficult to break down,mcpake has been superb for us

We will win the league with a bit to spare, there will be a few spankings dished out like the Dundee Utd game when we click, mixed in with the odd howler like yesterday, especially if we make the group stages of the Champions League.

Away from the league I cant see us doing too much in the champions lge groups if we get through on tuesday, best case scenario we might sneak a europa lge spot but even that may require a favourable draw.

Id like to think we can put on a much better showing in the domestic cups which have mostly been lamentable in recent years, hey maybe even win one !!! :o

Overall though it will be good to see Ronny's stamp on the team resulting in good football and offloading some of the dross from the club like Balde, Pukki, Boerigtter and one or two others

It looks already, away from my club that St Mirren could really struggle, a really bizzare managerial appointment that, could see TC being punted soon at this rate, St Johnstone, Inverness and maybe even Dundee could make up the top six aside from us, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.

Kilmarnock and Partick may well struggle but should just about survive, Motherwell's years of over acheiving and under investing look to be catching up with them, they should have enough to stay out the bottom two though which I still think will contain Hamilton and definetely St Mirren, Ross County will make up the bottom three, vying with Hamilton to stave off a potential nightmare play off v either Hearts or Rangers

On the other sides all of Dundee, Kilmarnock and Hamilton have surprised me greatly with their starts. I do think both the promoted sides will drop away though, mainly due to the lack of a reliable 10+ goal player, but theres still time for someone to emerge for them. Killie are harder to judge tbh, Miller could be a great signing and they have goals from all over the place, going to be some belting games for their fans this season.

Aberdeen look the same turgid side who'll grind out enough points to finish in the European spots.

Ross County look abysmal, and for some reason are leaving out their best player.

Most opinions will probably have changed by Christmas, except Partick fans, who can pretty much guarantee to have a side who play god football, struggle to score and drop points when they shouldn't

We seem to have turned into the kind of side Killie fans always used to fear going up against. Big, strong, quick and cute. This side would wipe the floor with Shiels' side of 2012/13, not because all the players are better technically, just because it is designed to bully the opposition and constantly pull them all over the park.

Magennis has been a revelation (if only he could finish) and his bullying of McManus yesterday (a guy who had Boyd in his pocket all last season) was excellent to see. Our defence looks solid, and Samson seems to have worked on his mobility as he seems far more flexible than last season. Hamill in midfield is a great addition and lets the ball players like Slater or Clingan do their thing, and choosing between those two now looks to be a real conundrum for AJ to have when both are fit.

Obadeyi and McKenzie work hard, often filling into central midfield when needs be and that creates space for the full-backs. Barbour was better yesterday, and will hopefully continue to grow as the weeks go on. Chantler on the left is everything Tesselaar isn't - composed, cute in possession and good at tracking back. Any side whose defence isn't sturdy will really struggle against us.

On the negative side, Pascali remains a bombscare and surely Ashcroft's time will come very shortly. Eremenko doesn't really fit into our system at the moment, and may have to make do with being an impact sub for the time being. Although, whilst we're winning matches like yesterday, our set-up really can't be questioned. Lee Miller isn't a top goalscorer candidate, so we'll probably be reliant on Ngoo to grab the goals if McKenzie and Mageniss' finishing remains as poor as it has been. Then we have the question of which pairing will we go with - Miller/Ngoo, Miller/Magennis or Ngoo/Magennis? Not a bad thing to have to worry about though.

Still early in the season but things are looking very positive indeed.

Excellent start for us. We've looked very solid at the back, having such a settled line up really helps. This is the third season our back four have been regulars together and it really shows.

In the middle, I think that the pairing of Draper (hard working, presses opposition and is strong) with Tansey (uses the ball so well) has been key to our good start. Both complement each other well and have been performing very well. Having Ryan Christie in the tricky number 10 role is a huge boost as well and, without being unkind, the injury to James Vincent has helped us get a proper shape with Marley Watkins' pace, power and directness so important.

Up front Billy Mckay looks dangerous and still seems to work just as hard.

I'm sure all rational fans will agree that the Hughes ideology is bearing fruit and mercifully the braying mob has fallen silent.

Archived