Arbroath v Montrose

Well the biggest derby in Scottish football returns this Saturday and after a good start from both sides it should make it a good game.

I hope and pray that it's not ruined by the wind this week.

We have looked like a pretty solid unit the last 3 games which is great to see after the worries we had in pre season. I think Moore will start with;

Crawford

Whatley

Nicoll

Ali El Zoubhadi

Johnstone

Linn

Stewart

Hunter

McBride

McManus

Buchan

Hope for a good crowd and a good game. Another 3 points would be superb going into the international break.

Bring it on :D

Why would you drop a player you said was our best defender just a matter of weeks ago!? :o;)

I would go with the team you've stated, except with Simon Murray upfront in place of Kevin Buchan. Buchan definitely knows where the back of the net is, but has come across as a player who doesn't do the required running to keep pressure on the opposition defence like Shagger/ Murray do, and it means if he doesn't score in a game his contribution is usually minimal. Obviously if he scores 20 goals this season, he can get away with not doing the 'donkey work' as it were, but if he struggles to keep up his early scoring exploits then I could see him struggling, unfortunately.

It's a shame for Trav that he may be dropped in favour of the back 4 you suggested, as he has done well from a defensive point of view and been part of the reason we've defended well in the past four matches, but if Allan Moore wants a fullback who can overlap and put pressure on the opposition full back and get crosses into the box then I don't think Trav is the man for this job. If he wants full backs who first and foremost do a job defensively and keep the ball out of our own net, then I think he could do the job at right back.

I'd love to see Mark Whatley in the centre of midfield as he looks like a fantastic player from what I've seen so far, but it would be very harsh to drop Kieran Stewart or Adam Hunter after their performances in the last two weeks, so I think this leaves Whatley filling a fullback slot for the meantime.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you drop a player you said was our best defender just a matter of weeks ago!? :o;)

I would go with the team you've stated, except with Simon Murray upfront in place of Kevin Buchan. Buchan definitely knows where the back of the net is, but has come across as a player who doesn't do the required running to keep pressure on the opposition defence like Shagger/ Murray do, and it means if he doesn't score in a game his contribution is usually minimal. Obviously if he scores 20 goals this season, he can get away with not doing the 'donkey work' as it were, but if he struggles to keep up his early scoring exploits then I could see him struggling, unfortunately.

It's a shame for Trav that he may be dropped in favour of the back 4 you suggested, as he has done well from a defensive point of view and been part of the reason we've defended well in the past four matches, but if Allan Moore wants a fullback who can overlap and put pressure on the opposition full back and get crosses into the box then I don't think Trav is the man for this job. If he wants full backs who first and foremost do a job defensively and keep the ball out of our own net, then I think he could do the job at right back.

I'd love to see Mark Whatley in the centre of midfield as he looks like a fantastic player from what I've seen so far, but it would be very harsh to drop Kieran Stewart or Adam Hunter after their performances in the last two weeks, so I think this leaves Whatley filling a fullback slot for the meantime.

Simple. Trav is a centre half.

Whatley was superb on Saturday at full back, what a footballer, looks comfortable wherever he is asked to play.

Also reading into Moores strict regime it seems to me anyway that alot of players are benefitting from it. Especially Bobby Linn he has been an absolute standout the last couple of games looks as fit as he has ever been and was turning guys inside out for fun on Saturday.

Absolute shower the Cowden fans. The one that punched the old steward was an absolute c**t. And you say it's not like the bad old days but I mind going 5/6 year ago and there was always bother in Montrose, one full on battle in Montrose high street. Best just to do it incase cause there'll be a few alcohol fuelled fannies kicking about no doubt. The segregation should be as the last time though.

Actually canna wait for this one.

it is fair to say that your definition of trouble and mine are poles apart, and as for the Cowden game, me thinks you are looking at what happened through "maroon" tainted glasses, the sight of men in their 40's and 50's, behaving like that is sad or embarrassing, or both

it is fair to say that your definition of trouble and mine are poles apart, and as for the Cowden game, me thinks you are looking at what happened through "maroon" tainted glasses, the sight of men in their 40's and 50's, behaving like that is sad or embarrassing, or both

What's your definition of trouble then?

I remember being 14/15 and shitting masel walking back to the train station because there were bottles flying over and people scrapping in Montrose high street between 2 groups of fannies from both sides, somebody stole my mates scarf to wipe blood off of his head after he had been bottled. There was always bother at away games which is why it is segregated because these fannies do come out of the woodwork sometimes.

And yes it is both sad and embarrassing watching grown men fight over a fucking football game..

Maroon tainted glasses about the Cowden game? Why? They stood in with the home support and were trying to start trouble, when asked to move they said no and punched the old head steward which lead to people in the Arbroath support jumping in and scrapping.

Arseholes.

Regarding Cowden fans, the only fighting I've seen inside Links Park was between two of their own fans having a fall out. It was better watching than the football.

Must be real dire stuff if thats the highlights of your games.

Must be real dire stuff if thats the highlights of your games.

Admittedly watching The Mo at Links Park has not been the easiest of things in this century. Highlights for me include the 8-1 against the self-proclaimed biggest side in the Seniors Basement, 1-1 against The Rangers and a 5-0 scoreline around hogemany against a local side. But still my personnal favourite, Kevin Webster's glorious finish from around 40 yards against a keeper who couldn't find touch.

As for the Cowden fans fighting, other than Armand One beating imaginary defenders at half time whilst waiting for a replacement linesman, their fans were more watchable than the game.

This season so far has proven different with decent football on view and what appears to be a well coached and happy side playing.

Maroon tainted glasses about the Cowden game? Why? They stood in with the home support and were trying to start trouble, when asked to move they said no and punched the old head steward which lead to people in the Arbroath support jumping in and scrapping.

Arseholes.

if they had been ignored nothing would have happened, as for our "head Steward", puts on that "high viz" and suddenly has power, on our home gates there is no need for any segregation

if they had been ignored nothing would have happened, as for our "head Steward", puts on that "high viz" and suddenly has power, on our home gates there is no need for any segregation

No something would of happened, they were totally out of order and looking for a fight which is why the steward came over, how dare he politley ask them to move in his hi viz jacket, what a p***k, definitely deserved that punch in the face..... :1eye

No something would of happened, they were totally out of order and looking for a fight which is why the steward came over, how dare he politley ask them to move in his hi viz jacket, what a p***k, definitely deserved that punch in the face..... :1eye

because you say it would, complete garbage

Admittedly watching The Mo at Links Park has not been the easiest of things in this century. Highlights for me include the 8-1 against the self-proclaimed biggest side in the Seniors Basement, 1-1 against The Rangers and a 5-0 scoreline around hogemany against a local side. But still my personnal favourite, Kevin Webster's glorious finish from around 40 yards against a keeper who couldn't find touch.

As for the Cowden fans fighting, other than Armand One beating imaginary defenders at half time whilst waiting for a replacement linesman, their fans were more watchable than the game.

This season so far has proven different with decent football on view and what appears to be a well coached and happy side playing.

Highlights for me was the 5-0 humiliation of some shit team on their own patch, followed up by a 4-0 and 4-1 to win the league title, also the 1-1 draw at Celtic Park against a team that beat Barca a few week before... and still giving them a fright in the reply... :-)

Simple. Trav is a centre half.

Whatley was superb on Saturday at full back, what a footballer, looks comfortable wherever he is asked to play.

Also reading into Moores strict regime it seems to me anyway that alot of players are benefitting from it. Especially Bobby Linn he has been an absolute standout the last couple of games looks as fit as he has ever been and was turning guys inside out for fun on Saturday.

Fair enough with regards to Trav, and I agree with you. :) You can however surely understand my surprise that, after you and several others told me he was our best central defender and shouldn't be replaced only a matter of weeks ago, he is now not in your own starting 11 ;)

I think longer term there is potential for Trav to play alongside Kev Nicoll in the centre of defence, but currently Nicoll and El Zubaidi are playing well, and we haven't conceded a goal in over 250 minutes of football now..... which coincides with Kev Nicoll being moved back to centre half. Also interesting to see us controlling the midfield in the past two games without Kevin Nicoll in the centre of the park. Personally I think one of the reasons for this is due to the fact we have two young, fit central midfielders who can cover a lot of ground over the 90 minutes. I'm a big fan of Kevin Nicoll, but I feel he has to play at centre back or as past of a midfield 3 so when he is beaten for pace (easily done! ;)) he has two other players around him who can cover him.

This has been done to death at the time - but I'm not quite sure I understand your opinion on this. I have no idea how everything kicked off so I can't comment on that, but when things did kick off one of the things I saw was an Arbroath fan in his 40s/ 50s being attacked by 3 Cowdenbeath fans all of which were at least half his age. This was happening a good 10/ 15 yards away from the initial 'incident' and being on the side terrace I saw him starting to get set upon, and I can assure you he didn't start things. As I said, I don't know what kicked it off but it comes across like you're blaming the Arbroath fans (some of which got attacked despite not being involved or near the initial incident) for the majority of the trouble!? :blink:

I 100% agree that it's sad and embarrassing to see people who should know better kicking things off at an Arbroath match, but some of these 40/ 50 year olds you refer to were attacked simply due to their colours or proximity to the Cowdenbeath fans. IF, I don't know if it's the case or not, the Cowdenbeath 'fans' (who numerous Cowden fans who post on here have stated rarely attend games, and when they do it's the 'bigger' games against their fife rivals or other teams up against them for promotion... was also interesting that they left a load of Rangers stickers around the ground) did kick things off, how would you have hoped/ expected the Arbroath fans and stewards to react?

Fair enough with regards to Trav, and I agree with you. :) You can however surely understand my surprise that, after you and several others told me he was our best central defender and shouldn't be replaced only a matter of weeks ago, he is now not in your own starting 11 ;)

I think longer term there is potential for Trav to play alongside Kev Nicoll in the centre of defence, but currently Nicoll and El Zubaidi are playing well, and we haven't conceded a goal in over 250 minutes of football now..... which coincides with Kev Nicoll being moved back to centre half. Also interesting to see us controlling the midfield in the past two games without Kevin Nicoll in the centre of the park. Personally I think one of the reasons for this is due to the fact we have two young, fit central midfielders who can cover a lot of ground over the 90 minutes. I'm a big fan of Kevin Nicoll, but I feel he has to play at centre back or as past of a midfield 3 so when he is beaten for pace (easily done! ;)) he has two other players around him who can cover him.

This has been done to death at the time - but I'm not quite sure I understand your opinion on this. I have no idea how everything kicked off so I can't comment on that, but when things did kick off one of the things I saw was an Arbroath fan in his 40s/ 50s being attacked by 3 Cowdenbeath fans all of which were at least half his age. This was happening a good 10/ 15 yards away from the initial 'incident' and being on the side terrace I saw him starting to get set upon, and I can assure you he didn't start things. As I said, I don't know what kicked it off but it comes across like you're blaming the Arbroath fans (some of which got attacked despite not being involved or near the initial incident) for the majority of the trouble!? :blink:

I 100% agree that it's sad and embarrassing to see people who should know better kicking things off at an Arbroath match, but some of these 40/ 50 year olds you refer to were attacked simply due to their colours or proximity to the Cowdenbeath fans. IF, I don't know if it's the case or not, the Cowdenbeath 'fans' (who numerous Cowden fans who post on here have stated rarely attend games, and when they do it's the 'bigger' games against their fife rivals or other teams up against them for promotion... was also interesting that they left a load of Rangers stickers around the ground) did kick things off, how would you have hoped/ expected the Arbroath fans and stewards to react?

there was blame on both sides, surely this cannot be denied

there was blame on both sides, surely this cannot be denied

Definitely, wouldn't deny that at all :)

I just felt you were being a bit overly critical of the Arbroath fans involved, as a good few of them were attacked for no other reason than where they were standing. I agree that there was blame on both sides, and would certainly say some of our support should know better. Anyway, this is all in the past and I shall leave it at that :) We have more important things to focus on, like beating Montrose on Saturday and ending August top of the table with 4 wins out of 4 ;)

Will be interesting to see if Lowdon comes straight into the side. Whatley has been very good at LB and Travis has also done well at RB. Maybe see Whatley moved into midfield beside Hunter and Stewart harshly dropped to the bench.

Archived