Jihadists should be stripped of their citizenship

~~~

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the day the Tories would have been oppossed to UK citizens who joined the International Brigade and went to fight Franco's fascist regime.

Oh aye, Orwell and Laurie lee lost their citizenship.

Oh, wait......................

The point has been made a couple of times, but in the 1930's, some Scots went to Spain to fight against a dictatorship, clearly against the wishes of the UK Government of the day. Many were Communists or Anarchists - the bogeymen of the day - and they were radicalised. We celebrate them now.

In the 2010's, we have some Scots going to Syria to fight against a dictatorship, clearly (now) against the wishes of the UK Government of the day. Many are Islamists - the bogeymen of the day - and they are radicalised. Will we celebrate them in the future?

Says Tory MP David Davis

http://news.sky.com/story/1323770/calls-to-strip-british-jihadists-of-passports

Get the impression it's just a easy way for the UK Gov to wash it's hands off responsibility to deal with these people.

I don't imagine anyone convicted of murder, rape etc... On UK soil will be under threat of deportation if they're citizens

Which country gets them after us? If no-one wants them, do we just fire them into space or do we stick them on St Kilda and forget about them?

The International Brigades weren't involved in war crimes or atrocities like the current mob of Islamists running around Iraq and Syria.

Well, apart from burning down churches, killing nuns and priests of course.

My point was more 'where do you draw the line' once the precedent has been set. Whoever is in power could then abuse it and even extend it to the likes of environmental campaigners (off the top of my head that one) or even journalists in foreign conflicts who don't report what the government want them too. Once your citizenship becomes up for debate it can be used to make people toe the line. I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I don't think its likely any time soon but if its there it can be misused.

I'm also a little confused, if you take the citizenship off someone. This could be really misused.

Example being, the situation in Iraq, if the Iraqi government win this conflict, capture 100 UK citizens fighting for IS, do we just say "yeah, to hell with them" but, say the same scenario happens in Syria do we still take that stance or start plea bargaining?

It can't work this policy, it's just another knee jerk reaction that cozies up to the electorate/Daily Mail reader over the very sad and discusting evens over the last few weeks, that's got everyone attention what's happening in the middle east.

My point was more 'where do you draw the line' once the precedent has been set. Whoever is in power could then abuse it and even extend it to the likes of environmental campaigners (off the top of my head that one) or even journalists in foreign conflicts who don't report what the government want them too. Once your citizenship becomes up for debate it can be used to make people toe the line. I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I don't think its likely any time soon but if its there it can be misused.

I'm also a little confused, if you take the citizenship off someone. This could be really misused.

Example being, the situation in Iraq, if the Iraqi government win this conflict, capture 100 UK citizens fighting for IS, do we just say "yeah, to hell with them" but, say the same scenario happens in Syria do we still take that stance or start plea bargaining?

It can't work this policy, it's just another knee jerk reaction that cozies up to the electorate/Daily Mail reader over the very sad and disgusting evens over the last few weeks, that's got everyone attention what's happening in the middle east.

It can't work this policy, it's just another knee jerk reaction that cozies up to the electorate/Daily Mail reader over the very sad and disgusting evens over the last few weeks, that's got everyone attention what's happening in the middle east.

Which is why it's not policy, merely deluded ramblings.

If you go overseas to fight for a group that is (amongst others) against the UK then yes, you shouldn't be allowed back here.

Depends really. If you go overseas and fight for a cause approved by and in the economic interests of our lords and masters you might do very well out of it.

In the day the Tories would have been oppossed to UK citizens who joined the International Brigade and went to fight Franco's fascist regime.

They were.

Archived