How are the people you know voting?

gazelle

Friend of mine, offshore worker, hates the SNP and Salmond, consistently NO has switched to YES since the last debate. Guy I used to work with, proper Unionist, claims to be a United fan but Rangers sympathiser, now also voting YES.

Starting to believe we might actually do this.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at a party last night. Apart from with close friends and family, I try not to bring it up (do all my ranting on here) but absolutely loads of c***s were talking about it and all but a few were right into voting Yes.

Some were people I've never heard talk about politics in my life. Very, very pleasing. Not saying it's representative of the country but it makes me a lot happier to know most of my pals seem to Yes now. At one point in time, I thought the complete opposite.

I liked independence before it was cool.

Friends, work colleagues, acquaintances, family...taking that all in, I'm going to say it's around 70% Yes and 30% No.

This time last month, it would have been more equal, however from a personal point of view, the amount of Don't Knows or No Voters that have changed to Yes the past few weeks is, quite frankly, staggering. If we can keep this momentum up, we will win.

Friend of mine, offshore worker, hates the SNP and Salmond, consistently NO has switched to YES since the last debate. Guy I used to work with, proper Unionist, claims to be a United fan but Rangers sympathiser, now also voting YES.

Starting to believe we might actually do this.

Something changed ? (wee Pulp linkage their)

Alot of friends making their choice known on facebook now and I'd say there are more Yes than No. I think the Yes voters are more likely to make it public before the event though so I don't read too much into that.

Family-wise, I'd be surprised if I've ever once discussed politics with any of my close family in my life until recently with the referendum. My mum's parents and all aunts & uncles are English while my dad's side are all from Dundee so I can see a 50/50 split. I spoke to my mum and brother about my reasons for voting Yes and I think they thought I was some kind of tinfoil hat wearing nutter when I started getting into geopolitics.

Pretty much all my actual friends bar two are voting yes. Mum and dad are voting yes:dad was always yes and mum took a bit of convincing. Brother voting no and sister undecided (probably go no)

Wider family, only know the intention of 3 and they're are very much yes while I think the rest will be split

On Facebook I can count on one hand the amount of folk posting no stuff. Some dozy bimbos I went to school with and one idiot boy in work with whose family on one side are orange order aficionados.

Every day someone surprises me by either liking or sharing something yes-related and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

Everyone should insist that all their family and friends read The Wee Blue Book from Wings Over Scotland. It's the least you can do and they should comply out of respect for you.

Five new yessers for me since friday night. About 20 new yes posters in windows of Greenock's west end in the last week. I drove through a kinda deprived part of central Greenock tonight where the Ludge still have a micro version of a marching band. 3 windows festooned with Unionism, about 15 yes posters visible. Fun and games, fellas! It's going to the wire.

Pretty much everyone I know is now voting Yes. I was a 'don't know' for a long time, as were a fair number of my friends. My wife was a confirmed No. We are all resolutely Yes now. There are a number of reasons for this, but the absolute disaster that has been the Better Together campaign, a cataclysmic mix of condescension, complacency and incompetence, has certainly contributed. Starting off with the suggestion that we could spend our £1400 post-'No vote' windfall on fish suppers for the entire family for 10 weeks straight (presumably washed down with Irn Bru and a deep fried Mars Bar if we were feeling especially flush), progressing through a series of endless warnings about what we could and couldn't do with our pound and our rapidly diminishing oil, followed by dire predictions of how we'd struggle to survive on our own, to the final coup de grace - that staggeringly patronising advert presumably designed to alienate and offend every Scots female capable of rational thought. Job done- if the job was to set the curriculum for a 'How Not to Win Hearts and Minds' course at Politico College.

The hysterical anti-Scottish tenor of much of the English press hasn't helped. A recent cartoon in Murdoch's rag, The Times, depicting Salmond as a tartan tammy wearing, 'see you Jimmy' caricature, the would be leader of a so-called 'Tartan Caliphate' was so deeply offensive on so many levels it made Andrew Dice Clay look like Edith Sitwell.

The Sun thought it was appropriate to give that ex Apprentice nonentity Katie Hopkins column inches to depict Scots as 'jeering monkeys, so excited by Fish Face's lies they start beating their chests and foraging amongst each other for fleas.' I care as little about this talent vacuum's opinion of Scotland and the Scots as I care about Marco from TOWIE's or George from Gogglebox's doubtless equally illuminating insights, but the fact that The Sun thought it was acceptable to run this trash, and yet continue to attempt to sell us a 'Scottish Edition', tells you all you need to know about the duplicitous nature and rank hypocrisy of the English-based MSM.

We're approaching the time of reckoning, the time when Thatcher's policy of contempt (as illustrated by the introduction of the hated Poll Tax up here before the rest of the UK) finally matures to produce it's barren dividend. There is a reason why we have fewer Tory MPs in Scotland than Giant Pandas, and the beleaguered David Mundell has considerably less chance of breeding than Tian Tian and Yang Guang. Osbourne, Cameron and the Bullingdon Boys have done nothing to re-engage Scotland with the Conservative cause and Boris's buffoonish 'man of the people' act (his recent proposal to do away with that trifling legal bagatelle, the presumption of innocence, doubtless just another 'blonde moment') plays about as well up here as Farage's blazered pub bore. Farage is about to grace us with his presence in the final few days of the campaign and The Orange Order are about to march too, just in case the 'don't knows' have forgotten just how objectionable some of their prospective No bedfellows are. As the Independence vote looms there is a growing sense that the English are moving away from us, politically and culturally. There are those who would urge us not to conflate Toryism and the Union, and I actually feel sorry for the many good people of the North East of England and other provincial outposts, well away from Cameron and Farage's SE heartlands, not to mention the enlightened folk within, but we have the opportunity to get rid of unrepresentative rule from Westminster for ever and run our own affairs. It's simply too good an opportunity to turn down.

For those BT voices, from all political parties, who say Scotland can't make it on it's own, I say this:

We are a resourceful, creative, innovative, dynamic, tolerant, outward-looking but inclusive, enterprising people; entrepreneurial but with a social conscience. We have always been a country where the common good encompasses the needs of the weakest members as well as the interests of the strongest. This is the country of John Logie Baird. James Clerk Maxwell, Andrew Carnegie, Adam Smith, David Hume, James Watt, Alexander Graham Bell, John Napier, Alexander Fleming, James Hutton, Joseph Black, William Ramsey, Ronald Ross, John MacLeod, James Simpson, James Black, John Haldane, James Dewar, Robert Adam, Thomas Telford, David Livingstone, Mungo Park, William Paterson, Walter Scott, Robert Louis Stevenson, JM Barrie, Thomas Carlyle, Arthur Conan Doyle, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Ian Rankin, Robert Burns, Hugh McDiarmid, Alasdair Gray, Iain Banks, the list goes on and on. Nobel laureates aplenty, innovators, engineers, scientists, economists, philosophers, explorers, artists, architects, writers, philanthropists, pioneers. Are you really trying to tell us that we can't make it on our own?

Pretty much everyone I know is now voting Yes. I was a 'don't know' for a long time, as were a fair number of my friends. My wife was a confirmed No. We are all resolutely Yes now. There are a number of reasons for this, but the absolute disaster that has been the Better Together campaign, a cataclysmic mix of condescension, complacency and incompetence, has certainly contributed. Starting off with the suggestion that we could spend our £1400 post-'No vote' windfall on fish suppers for the entire family for 10 weeks straight (presumably washed down with Irn Bru and a deep fried Mars Bar if we were feeling especially flush), progressing through a series of endless warnings about what we could and couldn't do with our pound and our rapidly diminishing oil, followed by dire predictions of how we'd struggle to survive on our own, to the final coup de grace - that staggeringly patronising advert presumably designed to alienate and offend every Scots female capable of rational thought. Job done- if the job was to set the curriculum for a 'How Not to Win Hearts and Minds' course at Politico College.

The hysterical anti-Scottish tenor of much of the English press. A recent cartoon in Murdoch's rag, The Times, depicting Salmond as a tartan tammy wearing, 'see you Jimmy' caricature, the would be leader of a so-called 'Tartan Caliphate' was so deeply offensive on so many levels it made Andrew Dice Clay look like Edith Sitwell.

The Sun thought it was appropriate to give that ex Apprentice nonentity Katie Hopkins column inches to depict Scots as 'jeering monkeys, so excited by Fish Face's lies they start beating their chests and foraging amongst each other for fleas.' I care as little about this talent vacuum's opinion of Scotland and the Scots as I care about Marco from TOWIE's or George from Gogglebox's doubtless equally illuminating insights, but the fact that The Sun thought it was acceptable to run this trash, and yet continue to attempt to sell us a 'Scottish Edition', tells you all you need to know about the duplicitous nature and rank hypocrisy of the English-based MSM.

We're approaching the time of reckoning, the time when Thatcher's policy of contempt (as illustrated by the introduction of the hated Poll Tax up here before the rest of the UK) finally matures to produces it's barren dividend. There is a reason why we have fewer Tory MPs in Scotland than Giant Pandas, and the beleaguered David Mundell has considerably less chance of breeding than Tian Tian and Yang Guang. Osbourne, Cameron and the Bullingdon Boys have done nothing to re-engage Scotland with the Conservative cause and Boris's buffoonish 'man of the people' act (his recent proposal to do away with that trifling legal bagatelle, the presumption of innocence, doubtless just another 'blonde moment') plays about as well up here as Farage's blazered pub bore. Farage is about to grace us with his presence in the final few days of the campaign and The Orange Lodge are about to march too, just in case the 'don't knows' have forgotten just how objectionable some of their prospective No bedfellows are. There are those who would urge us not to conflate Toryism and the Union, and I actually feel sorry for the many good people of the North East of England and other provincial outposts, well away from Cameron and Farage's SE heartlands, not to mention the enlightened folk within, but we have the opportunity to get rid of unrepresentative rule from Westminster for ever and run our own affairs. It's simply too good an opportunity to turn down.

For those BT voices, from all political parties, who say Scotland can't make it on their own, I say this:

We are a resourceful, creative, innovative, dynamic, tolerant, outward-looking, enterprising people, entrepreneurial but with a social conscience. We have always been a country where the common good encompasses the needs of the weakest members as well as the interests of the strongest. This is the country of John Logie Baird. James Clerk Maxwell, Andrew Carnegie, Adam Smith, David Hume, James Watt, Alexander Graham Bell, John Napier, Alexander Fleming, James Hutton, Joseph Black, William Ramsey, Ronald Ross, John MacLeod, James Simpson, James Black, John Haldane, James Dewar, Robert Adam, Thomas Telford, David Livingstone, Mungo Park, William Paterson, Walter Scott, Robert Louis Stevenson, JM Barrie, Thomas Carlyle, Arthur Conan Doyle, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Ian Rankin, Robert Burns, Hugh McDiarmid, Alasdair Gray, Iain Banks, the list goes on and on. Nobel laureates aplenty, innovators, engineers, scientists, explorers, artists, architects, writers, philanthropists, pioneers. Are you really trying to tell us that we can't make it on our own?

What a fucking excellent post. I owe you a Charles. Sadly I seem to run out of them PDQ these days.

ETA: Charles now given.

Archived