What annoys you about footballers of today

Have to agree with annoyance about one footed players or having some major weakness.

Premiership players should be training for hours a day to perfect everything and be the best they can be.

Going out on the piss is also an insult to fans who pay their wages imo.

Hard work gets you a lot further than talent in football. Obviously a ton of both is good too (see Cristiano Ronaldo)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's diving.

And I know it's trendy to knock folk for saying so on here, but almost every free kick in modern day football has an element of diving about it whether it's dragging a leg to 'encourage' contact or just going down like a bag of shit - folk have become blind to it, it looks 'normal' - just watch a re-run of an 80s game and the difference stands out a mile.

- Haircuts

- Sleeve tattoos

- Under armour, especially if it's long on the arms under a short sleeved shirt

- Luminous boots

- Any one that's got their ears pierced

- Complacency brought about by wages at big clubs far exceeding both what a player has achieved and what a player is capable of achieving

- Cynicism, ie players throwing the ball away slyly when the other team gets a free kick, keepers waiting an extra 30 seconds to pick the ball up when a striker eventually goes over to close him down under what appears to be a defeated sense of obligation more than anything else, players trying to draw fouls by overreacting to challenges

- Players that are clearly massive twats with no sense of humility, ie Samir Nasri

I think that's everything that's specific to actual footballers rather than the game at large.

The vast majority of premier league players seem to be personality vacuums hiding behind shit hashtags, emojis and motivation slogans. They lack a humanity and seem almost like robots in the way they speak and act.

The one advantage Scottish football has over England is that it is filled with characters: good guys, wanks, incredibly dirty players, Rowan Vine and people who just can't play football very well. From the incompetent governance at the top, to complete shambles of clubs, a universally despised media to everyone uniting to send Rangers to play a bunch of diddies. The fact that Scottish Football is so inferior to England has probably made me like it even more.

That they are all utter pussies. It used to a source of pride as to how hard you were in football. If someone tried to snap you, you just laughed. Now if someone even so much as almost glances at a player that player will be diving and rolling and holding their face. Even supposed hardmen these days play act. f**k them all.

Oh and lack of good goal celebrations.

It's already been mentioned but full sleeve tattoos on the youngsters coming through, particularly it seems in Scotland with teams like Hearts and Hibs really annoy me. It seems to be a pre-requisite to get into the under 21 squad that at least one of your arms must be 70% covered in tattoo.

The vast majority of premier league players seem to be personality vacuums hiding behind shit hashtags, emojis and motivation slogans. They lack a humanity and seem almost like robots in the way they speak and act.

The one advantage Scottish football has over England is that it is filled with characters: good guys, wanks, incredibly dirty players, Rowan Vine and people who just can't play football very well. From the incompetent governance at the top, to complete shambles of clubs, a universally despised media to everyone uniting to send Rangers to play a bunch of diddies. The fact that Scottish Football is so inferior to England has probably made me like it even more.

Captain, my Captain.

Bang on.

as the topic says. What annoys you about footballers of today.

For me it the fact they think they are instant celebrities when they've had like 2 appearances for the first team.

In fairness though, they usually do become instant celebrities, particularly if it's the EPL. These boys make a couple of appearances and are linked with all sorts of clubs and are then offered 30 and 40k by their own clubs. The money is mental but it's not the players faults they're being offered it.

Its pretty much all been said but the stand out for me is the childish and cynical play, diving, stealing a few feet or yards at free kicks and throw ins etc and surrounding the Ref when they don't get their own way. Most of them just need to grow up, the huffy weans.

Archived