Managers That Could Have Been...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was Stubbs not meant to be our manager when McCall got it?

Yeah, I remember plenty of rumours going around about Stubbs after Craig Brown had left. I can't say i'm too dissappointed that we ended up with McCall though.

Lawrie Sanchez was on the 3-man shortlist for the 'Well job (not long after he got the tin tack from Fulham I believe) along with Gannon and Aidy Boothroyd. We got the fruitcake Gannon.

I'm kinda looking forward to when we have to look for a new boss again. Some of the rumours that fly about are brilliant.

Edit; Also, Gary McAllister has been linked with the Motherwell job everytime it's been on the go for the last 10 years. He'll get it one day!

I remember a lot of excitement when it was thought that the Kilmarnock job, vacated by Jimmy Calderwood, was going to go to former World Cup winner Thomas Hassler. It didn't...it went to Mixu Paatelainen - and quite right too :D

I once got a lift home from big Mixu back to Edinburgh when he was playing with Saints. Spent the whole journey wondering what to say to him.

After Dundee had just sacked Jocky during his third spell as manager, we struggled to gain permission to speak to Gordon Chisholm who was the man Melville wanted in. Ian McCall was the other favourite for the job and verbally agreed over the phone to takeover. As he was making his way from Glasgow to Dundee to officially sign the deal and be formally announced he received a text saying something like, 'Gordon Chisholm's just been announced as Dundee's manager'.

I can imagine his anger, and I love every second of it. Safe to say the game away against Partick Thistle that followed a short while later looked like a tense one for the two former friends in the dugouts. :lol:

ETA: That's how the story goes anyway, McCall denied it later on and said it would have took something extraordinary to leave Partick but I really hope it is true.

And indeed it did take something extraordinary for him to leave Thistle whdn he resigned and hasnt had a job since.

I still look forward to the day Eric Black is appointed Aberdeen boss, I believe he was approached before Alex Miller was appointed but had just taken over from Gary McAllister at Coventry after his late wife's illness,

He has said himself that he has been close on a few occasions but I suppose the money he was on in England would make him out of our reach,

But I have always said he is the best manager we have yet to have.

Archived