Managers That Could Have Been...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before Lomas got the job we were apparently in talks with Paul Cook (who's doing an average job in charge of League Two Chesterfield), and Michael O'Neill (who's now NI boss)

He did an average job at Accrington Stanley but has been doing a good job at Chesterfield. League Two Champions and JPT runners up at Wembley last season. Decent start this season. Think the story was he turned us down before we went for Lomas. We'll never know if Cook would have won us the Cup though.

Billy Davies went swinging with Tommy Sheridan.

Just saying likes.

He was also better in the sack than Tommy

Bobby Robson (spoke of his interest in managing Celtic in the late 90's in his autobiography) and also Guus Hiddink.

My how days have changed.

Ah Guus Hiddink, apparently we had been a bawhair away from hiring him.

I believe Derek McInnes and Steven Pressley were interviewed before we plumped for Jackie. Billy Dodds was another touted but our gain is Sportsound's (and the listeners') loss.

Bet you're still reeling from not stumping up for Fenlon though.

Seem to remember when Tom Hendrie was on gardening leave in 2002 some Brazilian applied for the job. Part of his master plan was installing a sandpit at the training ground. Can't find any trace of this on the web sadly.

Bet you're still reeling from not stumping up for Fenlon though.

Seem to remember when Tom Hendrie was on gardening leave in 2002 some Brazilian applied for the job. Part of his master plan was installing a sandpit at the training ground. Can't find any trace of this on the web sadly.

Wasn't that the same guy who managed Livi?

Marcio Maximo?

I remember a lot of excitement when it was thought that the Kilmarnock job, vacated by Jimmy Calderwood, was going to go to former World Cup winner Thomas Hassler. It didn't...it went to Mixu Paatelainen - and quite right too :D

Ossie Ardiles was linked with the dons once!

He put himself forward for the ICT job too, I think before it went to Butcher. People were also linking Warnock to the job at that time, apparently because he'd been to Inverness on holiday the previous year.

Paul Telfer was, apparently, preferred to Hartley for the ICT job before the board eventually went for Hughes. Seemed a bit strange to me.

Phil Brown at Thistle would've been an absolute disaster.

Was/is Neil Warnock not linked with the The Rangers job?

He was, after he was spotted in the stand near the director's box.

I remember reading an interview with him in the Herald after, where he said something along the lines of he was there on the spare season ticket of a guy who has the caravan next to him in Ayrshire.

Think this is it, but typically with the Herald, unless you subscribe you can only read the first paragraph. Which also says he applied for the Hearts job, So at least that fits into the thread.

After Dundee had just sacked Jocky during his third spell as manager, we struggled to gain permission to speak to Gordon Chisholm who was the man Melville wanted in. Ian McCall was the other favourite for the job and verbally agreed over the phone to takeover. As he was making his way from Glasgow to Dundee to officially sign the deal and be formally announced he received a text saying something like, 'Gordon Chisholm's just been announced as Dundee's manager'.

I can imagine his anger, and I love every second of it. Safe to say the game away against Partick Thistle that followed a short while later looked like a tense one for the two former friends in the dugouts. :lol:

ETA: That's how the story goes anyway, McCall denied it later on and said it would have took something extraordinary to leave Partick but I really hope it is true.

Archived