Managers That Could Have Been...

Who of note has applied for your club's manager job and it never came to be?

I'd imagine our club would have been in a much better position much earlier than now if we'd plumped for Derek McInnes instead of Alex Rae back when our squad had a good few youth talents such as McDonald, Dixon, Robertson etc.

Instead of appointing Ivano Bonetti when we went down the 'failed experiment' route, we could have appointed the man who was desperate to get the job. That man would go onto become Real Madrid's manager in 2007 and his name was Bernd Schuster.

And of course, our most famous, 'could have been us' was Jim McLean getting snubbed for the Dundee job whilst he was a coach at the club.

I believe when we sacked Alex Rae, a 'dream team' of Billy Davies and Craig Brown wanted the job with Brown looking to take on a DoF-type role. The other candidates were Leighton James, Kenny Black and Michael O'Neill. We plumped for Jocky Scott (Again).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe when we sacked Alex Rae, a 'dream team' of Billy Davies and Craig Brown wanted the job with Brown looking to take on a DoF-type role.

Really?! Hadn't Billy Davies just left Derby in the Premier League at that time? I find it pretty difficult to believe that he would actually be keen on a move when he had his pick of Championship jobs at that time. I do remember him being mentioned though.

harry94, on 20 Aug 2014 - 19:00, said:

Really?! Hadn't Billy Davies just left Derby in the Premier League at that time? I find it pretty difficult to believe that he would actually be keen on a move when he had his pick of Championship jobs at that time. I do remember him being mentioned though.

Aye they were certainly linked. See here: Link. They applied but Davies was likely out of our wage budget by quite a bit.

I'm sure Walter Zenga applied for the saints job once. Think it may have been after we sacked Sandy Clark.

We ended up giving it to Billy Stark. The story goes, Tommy Burns was interviewed, Stark was to be his assistant. Burns declined the job and Stark was asked if he fancied it. Unable to uncross his arms, Geoff Brown took this as a yes. And down we went.

Billy Davies went swinging with Tommy Sheridan.

Just saying likes.

s-BILLY-DAVIES-large.jpg

Aye they were certainly linked. See here: Link. They applied but Davies was likely out of our wage budget by quite a bit.

Ahh right. Suppose he thought he may as well put wage demands forward. I remember something about Rainer Bonhof as well but can't find anything online.

I'm sure Walter Zenga applied for the saints job once. Think it may have been after we sacked Sandy Clark.

We ended up giving it to Billy Stark. The story goes, Tommy Burns was interviewed, Stark was to be his assistant. Burns declined the job and Stark was asked if he fancied it. Unable to uncross his arms, Geoff Brown took this as a yes. And down we went.

Zenga sent his CV before Clark was even sacked :lol: He sent it twice in one week in some desperate attempt at getting the job.

Yeah Burns turned us down because he didn't agree with our budgets, and out of the blue we seemingly asked Stark if he cared about the budget and if he'd take the job, up until the announcement a certain ICT manager called Steve Paterson was the heavy, heavy favourite for the job :lol:

Before Lomas got the job we were apparently in talks with Paul Cook (who's doing an average job in charge of League Two Chesterfield), and Michael O'Neill (who's now NI boss)

BarraJag, on 20 Aug 2014 - 22:11, said:

No surprise a Dundee fan started this thread tbh

No surprise you decide to get involved in a thread that a Dundee fan started tbh.

BarraJag, on 20 Aug 2014 - 22:18, said:

No surprise you once again have a shite comeback

Please stop trying to de-rail the thread. Thanks.

Francisco Ocampo was also linked to the Dundee job at one point. He was Diego Forlan's agent if I remember correctly? Which led to us being linked to him at one point too.

So ignoring that we were spending money we couldn't afford, because our BoD clearly were at that point. We had a choice between Archie Knox, Ocampo, Bernd Schuster (A future Real Madrid manager) and... Jim Duffy after we sacked Bonetti.

Clearly we picked the most talented manager money could buy. :lol:

Virtual Insanity, on 20 Aug 2014 - 22:36, said:Virtual Insanity, on 20 Aug 2014 - 22:36, said:

Hasn't Nevio Scala been linked with almost every team in Scotland at some point?

Checked to see if he was linked with the Dundee job at one point, only to find a P&B thread linking him with the Scotland job:

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/120200-nevio-scala/

Would have preferred him to Levein in hindsight.

ETA: My 2009 self also knew that he was rejected for the Dundee job. :lol:

Archived