Lowland Development League

HibeeJibee

You need to take into account the other results involving lowland league teams. Selkirk do not take part in it. They probably had to make up a team who have not played together. It is not a fair comparison and this result is probably a one off.

So why do it? They did it and very few people who look at the result will know all the info behind the scenes. They'll just see a team get absolutely pumped (and by the way it's the worst adult score I can recall) and be embarrassed for them, the club and the lowland league.

Hi newky it's hard to put up an argumant to the points you make regarding the score lines but bare in mind the majority of the games you have listed there are against full time clubs i can only give my opinion on the LL 20s and the standard in that league and im firmly of the opinion if LL 20s teams played the likes of annan Stirling albion Livingston they would be very competitive with that level of pro youth football

Certainly wasn't meant to read as a criticism of the LL 20s league.

Forfar scored 11 against HFL opposition.

You are right though full time clubs are certainly at an advantage.

Certainly wasn't meant to read as a criticism of the LL 20s league.Forfar scored 11 against HFL opposition.You are right though full time clubs are certainly at an advantage.

I never thought it was a criticism i appreciate entirely what your saying just wanted to make the point that most of the teams in our 20s league play at a good standard and as I said if were given the opportunity to compete with the likes of clyde stenhousemuir would imo be competitive selkirks result yesterday is very unfortunate for the whole league and the bizarre thing is they dont have a team in the league this season

Clubs actually in the LL & EOS U20s have done well in the Youth Cup this season, it's only against SPFL Development teams they've taken hidings.

Yesterday's result is not a reflection on the LL & EOS U20 teams.

Edusport 1-1 Dumbarton, aet (4-1 pen)

Whitehill Welfare 0-8 Dundee

Heriot-Watt University 0-2 Alloa Athletic

Stirling Albion 1-2 Cumbernauld Colts

Stenhousemuir 1-0 BSC Glasgow

Airdrieonians 3-1 Lothian Thistle HV

Preston Athletic 0-6 St Mirren

Deveronvale 1-4 Cumbernauld Colts

Queen of the South 2-1 Edusport Academy

Queen of the South v Cumbernauld Colts

Here are the corresponding results from last season's Youth Cup:

East Kilbride 3-2 Stenhousemuir

Spartans 4-2 Partick Thistle

Dalbeattie Star 3-4 Selkirk

Hearts 3-0 Whitehill Welfare

East Kilbride 2-2 Queen's Park, aet (6-7 pen)

Rangers 4-0 Spartans

Banks o'Dee 2-4 Selkirk

Hamilton Acad 10-0 Selkirk

... and from the season before that:

Airdrieonians 3-3 Edinburgh City, aet (2-4 pen)

Hearts 6-1 Spartans

Edinburgh City 1-3 Arbroath

Was at the Selkirk game yesterday and they were a goal down in under 20 seconds and 3 down in 10 minutes. They were young and out of their depth and did look like they hadn't played together. If they had any subs it was only 1 and they had to change players positions to try and tighten up but that wasn't happening. I felt for their keeper who saved a penalty (scored from rebound) and had a number of good saves to keep it under the potential 30. I'm sure the Ref blew for FT before the 90 minutes were up and to be honest the game did nobody any favours. It certainly wasn't a reflection on the LL or U-20's League but then again those that watch those games will know that.

Hi Newky, I believe Gala Fairydean Rovers will be entering an Under 20's team next season.
Good to hear soor plooms it can only be of benefit to the senior team. ww have had some good additions to their squad from the 20s.
An argument could be made that only clubs participating in U20 leagues should be allowed to enter. Virtually every entrant already does.
Excellent idea would save the embarrassment I suppose.

I agree with Flynny although I would as a fellow manager. The standard of play in the U20 league this year has been much higher than I anticipated after watching several games in last season's league.

We lost 1 0 to Stenny in the cup in a close game that could have gone either way. The Colts are doing really well in the cup too.

Higher standard opposition is good for everyone but when we come up against FT clubs the gulf is there to see.

I would recommend that people get along and watch a few Friday night games and make their own minds up.

I agree with Flynny although I would as a fellow manager. The standard of play in the U20 league this year has been much higher than I anticipated after watching several games in last season's league.

We lost 1 0 to Stenny in the cup in a close game that could have gone either way. The Colts are doing really well in the cup too.

Higher standard opposition is good for everyone but when we come up against FT clubs the gulf is there to see.

I would recommend that people get along and watch a few Friday night games and make their own minds up.

Good post. where do I find the fixtures?

Good post. where do I find the fixtures?

Whitehill's fixtures are at www.whitehillwelfare.co.uk

People who witnessed these various 'thrashings' will have their own story of how each game went.

In the WW game v Dundee (0-8 ) , WW had central defender Brad Campsie sent off after 10 mins and a penalty awarded. Many people at the game saw it as two players tripping over each other whereas the ref saw it as a goalscoring opportunity denied. Either way it ruined the game as a cup tie.

Whitehill competed well till half time when it was 2-0 but Dundee scored within seconds of the restart and understandably pulled away in the second half.

Edited as the score line turns into an emoji (0-8)

Edited by The Mantis

http://slfl.co.uk/u20s-fixtures-2/

In practice it's also best to check the SFA ref listing as the kickoff times usually vary slightly from those originally published, and sometimes the venue:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football_document_libraries.cfm?page=2061

(I don't know if the above link will open the page with the dropdowns applied; if not, they are under the East of Scotland League, not Lowland League).

Don't think it was commented on at the time but congratulations to EK and Cumbernauld for reaching the U20s League Cup Final last month.

Also shows how far the pendulum has swung this season that the Semi-Finalists were the 3 Strathclyde clubs + LTHV.

Certainly ! Gala Fairydean has always been a club in crisis, Whenever they have looked like doing something they manage to shoot there selves in the foot, They managed in the recent reshuffle to get some really influential guys onto the Committee who had access to some major funding and sponsorship. unfortunately the clear-out wasn't expansive enough and they retained the old Clique who have the motto AYE BEEN , which roughly translated means well its always been like that so why change it, I'll tell you why!!!! IT DOESNT WORK, take the manager for instance, by all accounts really nice lad but isn't the man for the job and is a protected species because of certain members of the Committee , family members I hear you ask, Quite possibly would be the reply, The aforementioned new committee members quickly became disillusioned and walked away or diluted their interest as they were getting no where, What about the Kids ? Well the first batch of kids from the feeder club Gala Dean which was started in 98 would now be ripe for an under 20s team but those that are still playing are in Edinburgh at clubs like Tynie, Leith and Hutchie playing 19s and 20s while 17, They wont be leaving those teams to come and play in Gala, especially while the status Quo is the same. AYE BEEN my Arse !!!

Wow Big Boss...you seem to be a man in the know. A finger on the pulse kind of guy with his ear to the ground in Gala. I like your style. A man (or lady...I wouldn't want to make an ill advised or unfair pre-emptive judgements without knowing all the evidence and making a fool of myself!) who doesn't let the facts get in the way of a good story kind of person. Good on you!

I don't know where to begin with your post really...but first things first. The club is no longer Gala Fairydean...whether in crisis or not. The merger in 2013 created a new club, Gala Fairydean Rovers. A genuine merger that brought together two traditional rivals for the sake of trying to advance football in the town.

Is that Aye Been? Taking a decision to end the histories of two well established clubs and starting afresh with a new name, badge, strip and club identity? Maybe it is? Maybe that was the conservative option? Maybe those old cliques at both the clubs thought that the best way to protect their unassailable positions was to hoodwink everybody into appearing all progressive and forward thinking but in reality it was an elaborate ruse dreamed up to fool a gullible public and not change anything at all and carry on as usual...those evil geniuses.

A new committee was created with elements of both the Fairydean and the Rovers along with a completely new intake of members drawn primarily from the youth and junior teams in the town. As far as I'm aware only one person has left the committee since the merger...for work related reasons. However, you seem to know better so maybe you could let us know about all these new people who walked away? No pressure like...in your own time. Answers on a postcard type thing.

Crowds have increased, sponsorship has increased, revenue has increased, a substantial debt had been eliminated and the club have tried to promote themselves better with more professional marketing materials and a programme voted best in the Lowland League last year and runner up across Scottish Non League football. The website is rubbish mind...I'd give you that...but a they're working on a new one which will go live later this month at the address www.ayebeen.com.

As for Galadean...then you nearly got it right about their formation.,,only about a decade out. Galadean JFC was formed in 2007...but what's a year or two or nine between friends?

Galadean JFC has subsequently become part of the new set-up, changing their name to Gala Fairydean Rovers Juniors (catchy I know ;) ) and along with the Youth section form the first ever player pathway for a Borders club that can see a child join in Primary 1 and stay with the club all the way through their football career. Around 300 young people are part of this pathway in the traditional heartland of Borders Rugby. For the first time in anyone's memory, rugby is struggling for players in certain age-groups. Still..its Aye Been!

I see from the local press that the club just won Club of the Year at the local Sports Council awards for their award winning community engagement programme. One of the first, (if not the first?) non-league clubs in Scotland to sign up to Show Racism the Red Card and have established community partnerships with a number of local charities and organisations like Nil By Mouth who organised a Scottish Book Week Event at the club last week.

Due to this programme the SFA South East Region selected the club to be part of the UEFA Captains for Change Programme and a McDonalds coach mentoring programme. The club runs a girls development squad, a Walking Football team has been established and the club is in discussions around taking over a disability team in the Borders. You know...just like it was in the 1970's!

Your post is not all complete gibberish however...it is true that throughout the years that young footballers from the town have left to join clubs in Edinburgh to further their career. In order to try and stop that from happening then along with the pathway the club has started to play youth teams in the Edinburgh leagues meaning that kids can play and train in Gala whilst competing against high quality sides from the Capital and the Lothians. Already this has dramatically reduced the numbers of players leaving not just Gala but the Borders in general. It will take time too get this right however, which is why the club did not rush into having an Under 20's team too early.

Also it is true that the managers Dad is on the committee. He had played for both the Fairydean and the Rovers during his playing career and was a member of the Rovers committee that played an important role in arguing for and agreeing to the merger. The manager, Steven Noble was tasked, with just a few weeks notice and one of the smallest playing budgets in the league, to get a team that could survive in the Lowland League. The previous season Gala Fairydean had finished 7th in the second tier of the East of Scotland League and the Rovers played in the Border Amateur League. He was asked to buy into the new ethos of sustainability, of not paying over the odds for players, of selecting local guys and ensuring that unlike the Fairydean who trained in Edinburgh, that all training sessions were local. In the first season the team finished in 10th position and then last season improved to 8th. He gained is B License, is currently sitting his A Licence and has been a driving force of change for the better at the club.

Had the Aye Been attitude that previously existed been there then the club would have by now been on its third or fourth manager since 2013, with a revolving door policy on players and staff, with supporters not knowing from one week to the next what the team was, paying unrealistic wages and crossing fingers for cup runs that could pay bonuses promised on the never never. Instead the club has a long term strategy of sustainable growth, involving the community in the club, producing local talent and not paying more than it can afford for players.

Nobody would claim that the club is perfect but there is a sense that things have changed for the better.

So anyway....Aye Been? Status Quo? I don't think so Big Boss. But hey...I'm sure you'll reply with more fact based updates on everything that is going on down Netherdale way. I look forward to them.

Take care now!