Lowland Development League

HibeeJibee

Are all of selkirks team not full time?

No, I've been told only 3are in full time college and train. The rest of the squad have jobs, looking at team reports from 1st team , few of them have been in the top team squad.

Looks like a really interesting league ahead. Was looking at last years u19s league only 5 teams so a good sign that more teams are joining up. Was wondering though why Musselburgh Athletic chucked in the towel after winning a cup and losing the league on the final game of the season .Checked out Mussy web site and their squad is enormous .Lots of lads who look as if they were the u19s last year seem to be swallowed up into the main squad, cant see many of these lads getting a game in the Super league, For a team wanting to bring through the next generation of players this seems to me to be counter productive, I wouldn't be happy not playing for weeks on end maybe even for a whole season. All in all a pretty strange way for encouraging lads to stay and develop as players.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw WW beat Leith in their first game and the first half of WW 2 Spartans 8. Spartans will win the league without dropping a point they are very strong. Their side apparently contains many of their U17 Scottish Cup winning side.

WW lost 3-2 at EK on Friday which from our lads point of view was harsh having led 2-0.

I saw WW beat Leith in their first game and the first half of WW 2 Spartans 8. Spartans will win the league without dropping a point they are very strong. Their side apparently contains many of their U17 Scottish Cup winning side.

WW lost 3-2 at EK on Friday which from our lads point of view was harsh having led 2-0.

Wonder if any of the clubs will use the option to field up to 3 over age/1st team players to bolster their chances of beating Spartans (agree that they look extremely strong in all areas).

You can only play 2 overage players and they must be registered with the senior team. They can play a maximum of 6 league or qualifying league games, but they cannot play in cup ties or the knock out stages of the league cup.

Cheers for clarifying that (knew it was something along these lines honest!)

Wonder if any of the clubs will use the option to field up to 3 over age/1st team players to bolster their chances of beating Spartans (agree that they look extremely strong in all areas).

I'd be disappointed of they did play for that reason. Most teams will obviously play some guys to get games and improve fitness as well as keeping players involved in some of the bigger squads. Sad if anyone did so just to get the win.

IMO this is a long overdue introduction to football in this part of the world- the HL has had a similar set up on Monday nights for years.

I'd be disappointed of they did play for that reason. Most teams will obviously play some guys to get games and improve fitness as well as keeping players involved in some of the bigger squads. Sad if anyone did so just to get the win.

IMO this is a long overdue introduction to football in this part of the world- the HL has had a similar set up on Monday nights for years.

Here! here!

Could provide more enjoyable Friday night viewing than some of the senior drivel that BT will broadcast.

Have seen Selkirk Spartans and Edinburgh city teams this season so far and feel that it will take something special to beat this excellent Spartans team . Going to Meadowbank tonight to watch what should be a close fought local derby with a Leith team and City both beaten 4:0 by Spartans. Selkirk were a big physical team who IMO should have got a draw against City at Saughton last week. Spartans apart, this is shaping up to be a cracking league, Will the two university teams pose much of a threat when they start their campaigns, going to be interesting

just checked the EOSFL site for scores today. Spartans did a number on East Kilbride but what happened at Whitehill ? Did Selkirk scratch , what was the reason, anyone throw any light on why?

Selkirk called off this morning due to a shortage of players. Bit of a bummer, post match food had been made, programmes printed and Tommy even had the nets up.

On the plus side 3 of our young lads subsequently made the bench at Selkirk and 2 got a run out!

Looking forward to the Youth Cup tie next Sunday too HiHat.

Edited by Rab B Nesbit