Lowland Development League

HibeeJibee

Having hierarchical divisions in a youth league is problematic as the churn of players is so great. Nothing to say the top teams from last season will be the top teams this season.

You would certainly need very considerable promotion-and-relegation to keep it in reasonable check.

All the teams must be within 45-60mins drive of one another with the exception of Bonnyton and Mid Annandale, and they're far away from everyone.
That's reasonable for travel.

yes.
However this year is the complete Longniddry Villa u19's team (who are actually 2001 so were an u18 team) , coaches and all, that just won the SERYFA U19 league along with 4 cups, that's becoming Preston athletic.
That team has been together with the same coaches since 5 years old.  They'll be fine for 2 years at u20's I reckon.
Would 17 teams in one of the Conferences be such a bad thing? I appreciate it also complicates cups a little upsetting the nice round number 32.

5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
16 minutes ago, oldandround said:
yes.
However this year is the complete Longniddry Villa u19's team (who are actually 2001 so were an u18 team) , coaches and all, that just won the SERYFA U19 league along with 4 cups, that's becoming Preston athletic.
That team has been together with the same coaches since 5 years old.  They'll be fine for 2 years at u20's I reckon.

Would 17 teams in one of the Conferences be such a bad thing? I appreciate it also complicates cups a little upsetting the nice round number 32.

Hell of a lot of football... 34 league dates instead of 30 and all the cups requiring a Preliminary tie.

In theory someone could play 51 games over 53 dates (plus any Scottish Youth Cup ties).

There are usually just under 40 Fridays - less any cancellations/postponements - once deducted Christmas break etc.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
13 minutes ago, oldandround said:
yes.

Absolutely not. Especially considering its more likely than not that one or more will fold during the season.

Heard Haddington (usual rumour alert disclaimer) are toiling for a team.

On 22/06/2019 at 12:31, Burnie_man said:

Given matches are a Friday night I hope consideration has been given to location as travelling could be an issue as well as cost.

5 years in, of course it has. 

On 22/06/2019 at 12:58, oldandround said:

yes.

That sounds more promising. Can understand the reservations after a number of withdrawals over the last few years that have caused so much disruption. 

4 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

How were the conferences decided? Looks helluva lopsided and Kelty seem to be in the opposite conference from all the other local 20’s sides

No doubt done to suit Spartans 🤣

Details of the grounds. Bit of a trek for Upper Annandale to Govan, surprised Dundonald didn't got for somewhere closer like Lumphinnans.

I notice there's no Preston Athletic.

Edited by Ginaro

27 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

How were the conferences decided? Looks helluva lopsided and Kelty seem to be in the opposite conference from all the other local 20’s sides

2 in your conference and 3 in the other looks like they have tried to juggle it as best they can.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Details of the grounds. Bit of a trek for Upper Annandale to Govan, surprised Dundonald didn't got for somewhere closer like Lumphinnans.

I notice there's no Preston Athletic.

Don’t think the 3G at Lumphinnans is a full size pitch.

.Strongest sub-professional youth league in Scotland, IMO.

East Fife join.

Btw - it's patently seeded on basis of last season's conference finishing positions, alternating each position (i.e. swapping half of each conference):

Conference A
Spartans (B1)
Tynecastle (A2)
LTHV (B3)
Hill of Beath (A4)
Edusport (B5)
Cumbernauld (A6)
Edinburgh City (B7)
Whitehill (A8)
Edinburgh Utd (B9)
Edinburgh Uni (A10)
Dalkeith (B11)
+ Blackburn, Bonnyrigg, Dundonald, Upper Annandale
+ East Fife

Conference B
Kelty (A1)
Stirling Uni (B2)
Bonnyon (A3)
BSCG (B4)
Dunipace (A5)
Musselburgh (B6)
Heriot-Watt Uni (A7)
Haddington (B8)
Camelon (A9)
Inverkeithing (B10)
Newtongrange (A11)
Mid Annandale (B12)
+ Broxburn, Civil Service, Leith, Penicuik

54 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

A bit bizarre Upper Annandale playing at Benburb, it's Edusport in reverse, almost!

Wonder how that’ll work without checking their home ground had it in my head they would share with Mids ? If local lads then so much travelling. 

What a great set up, the best and most progressive Development League in Scotland by a million miles. Not set up to favour any team, by definition the quality of any single team will change from season to season.  That's why much better to spread the teams evenly based on last season's results. The biggest compliment is that every single team which took part last season has returned.  These guys get it, it's not about where you start !

One last request,  can HJ please rename the thread,  this is now the Lowland Development League, yes the EOS have been instrumental in starting the league up,  but now moved on and up.