Lowland Development League

HibeeJibee

Caught some of Edinburgh United 2 Tranent 2 last night along the road at Meggetland. Good game Edinburgh coming back from 2-0 down.

Tranent ended up with 10 men but could see afterwards that their coaches won’t be tolerating any indiscipline. 

Despite the big increase in the number of sides and maybe the likes of Newtongrange struggling it looks on the whole a very good standard again this year. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Bump :) With the qualifying leagues finished and the q-finalists now decided, conferences start tonight with six fixtures in each section. Heriot Watt and Edinburgh University sides playing their opening games of the season.

Ditto with Stirling Uni v Edusport.

Although a defeat it was heartening to see Newtongrange only go down by 3 goals at Whitehill: the Star youngsters had been badly mauled in their early QL ties before winning by the odd goal in 9 v Mid Annandale last week, perhaps starting to find their feet.

Incidentally having been down to just 4 clubs at the end of last season - Bonnyrigg, Leith, Murieston and someone I can't recall (was it perhaps Newtongrange or Musselburgh?) - I was in the SYFA's South-east site earlier and with all blank it seems their U21s has ceased operating.

14 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Ditto with Stirling Uni v Edusport.

Although a defeat it was heartening to see Newtongrange only go down by 3 goals at Whitehill: the Star youngsters had been badly mauled in their early QL ties before winning by the odd goal in 9 v Mid Annandale last week, perhaps starting to find their feet.

Incidentally having been down to just 4 clubs at the end of last season - Bonnyrigg, Leith, Murieston and someone I can't recall (was it perhaps Newtongrange or Musselburgh?) - I was in the SYFA's South-east site earlier and with all blank it seems their U21s has ceased operating.

Yes Newtongrange Star are starting to find their feet but slowly. A late, blank canvas only a few weeks ago with a bunch of strangers, it was always going to be tough at the start of this season. They are a very young side but are working hard to improve for this big step up.  We have wonderful facilities at New Victoria Park and a great connection with the flying 1st team, with boys getting the chance of a call up. The whole of the Newtongrange Star academy is getting a major change next season which will only help the club. Newtongrange Star F.C are in great shape as a whole club, great place to be at present. 

newtonstar25.png

They should not have altered the age-group, true... but having done so they promptly redoubled the problem by making the possession of an U20s team the criteria to enter an U18s cup, thus tempting some clubs to try even though it would mean scraping about for and/or reregistering schoolboys.

Coupled with the draw format mistake the rounds have sadly descended into farce.

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

EOS league website has Tynecastle v Airdrie tonight

Yes definitely tonight was talking to one of the players today. 7/8 of Tynecastle 20s squad are u18 and they also have their u17s to call on. 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

I might be passing Lockerbie tonight, thought I'd take in Mid Annandale v Stirling Uni (because I'm no' right) - anybody know how I could best find out if it's on, given the weather? I've tweeted Stirling Uni FC but no answer yet.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I might be passing Lockerbie tonight, thought I'd take in Mid Annandale v Stirling Uni (because I'm no' right) - anybody know how I could best find out if it's on, given the weather? I've tweeted Stirling Uni FC but no answer yet.

It’s an artificial pitch, so you should be ok.

17 hours ago, GordonS said:

You got a good few goals any way ! :)