Lowland Development League

HibeeJibee

Spartans won the Challenge cup final tonight 2-0 against Edinburgh University in an excellent game of football, which was played in a very sporting manner and was a great advert for football at this level.

Knock Out cup final friday 22 May between East Kilbride and Edinburgh University, 7pm kick off at Telford Sports Ground (Civil Service Strollers). £5 adults £3 concessions. Come along and see the talent on show.

Knock Out cup final friday 22 May between East Kilbride and Edinburgh University, 7pm kick off at Telford Sports Ground (Civil Service Strollers). £5 adults £3 concessions. Come along and see the talent on show.

East Kilbride have been a breath of fresh air to this League, have fulfilled every game (I assume with lots of travelling) and have been a very good footballing side. If word is correct about BSC having a 20's in the League next season, I am sure they will do the same and add value to the League.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the game in at Ainslie Park last night, and it was a good advert for the league. The two top teams showed no signs of end of season fatiuge and put on an entertaining display. Spartans had the bulk of the ball in the first half but Whitehill hung in there and the second half was pretty much end to end. Spartans 6 and 8 stood out whilst 10 and 2 showed up well for Whitehill. I hear the league is going to increase in numbers next season, well done to all responsible for running this league this year.

Edited by uptheslope

Prestons twitter page saying they are going to put a team into the u20s league next season. I think that's quite positive as I didn't think they were going to get a lowland league team together. Maybe a realisation that like other teams this is the way to build and safeguard your future. Any other teams for the u20s league next season?

20s league is a great thing to develop future 1st team players. Don't agree with a Friday night tho. If having it as a development league it needs to be played at the start of the week so promising talent can step up to 1st team if needed.

20s league is a great thing to develop future 1st team players. Don't agree with a Friday night tho. If having it as a development league it needs to be played at the start of the week so promising talent can step up to 1st team if needed.

Think this is prob a good idea. Play it on a Monday or Tuesday would work.

Up until last season, when it was still U19s, they generally played on Sundays. There was an U21s league for a single year too and I think that was on Sundays as well although I can't remember precisely, possibly was Saturdays.

Benefit of Friday evenings as opposed to weeknights is that clubs can still do 2 training sessions instead of 1 (and play in Wed afternoon leagues in the case of the university clubs), plus the managers of the first-teams can scout their U20s games?

Also if the first-team manager is going to use an U20 lad, particularly in the starting XI, they will probably be wanting them to train with the first-team so they'd miss a weeknight game anyway - if used for bench filling they could (and some evidently do) appear in both. I think Whitehill shuttled some lads between adjacent/nearby LL & U20 games on the same afternoon this season!!

More broadly, I don't think it can be denied that... provided clubs can find the coaches and obtain the funding and venues... it's all positive having these teams. It provides a natural production line and pathway for players to ascend into the first-team, and flexibility by merit of the fact that they are all on senior registrations. Older players returning from injury or suspension can also visit their U20s for game time.

"More the merrier" I'd say.

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody throw any information about the upcoming season teams in the u20s league ? The Edinburgh city website say their team is going to the spfl development league. Preston are getting a team together but don't know if Cumbernauld or BSC are putting teams in. Was a good league last year and as HJ said in his post, the more the merrier.

Hi Hat

Anybody throw any information about the upcoming season teams in the u20s league ? The Edinburgh city website say their team is going to the spfl development league. Preston are getting a team together but don't know if Cumbernauld or BSC are putting teams in. Was a good league last year and as HJ said in his post, the more the merrier.

Hi Hat

BSC Glasgow have entered. The SPFL development idea will not go ahead until next season for teams in the Lowland League.

BSC Glasgow have entered. The SPFL development idea will not go ahead until next season for teams in the Lowland League.

It will go ahead anyway with LŁ teams allowed in if they wish to join and can meet the criteria. The lowland teams have also been asked their thoughts on joining the following year but there was no rush on and they were allowed to note an interest for the season 2016-17.

One obvious difference that immediately springs to mind is that LL & EOSL U20s play Friday nights, or Saturday lunchtimes; whereas SPFL U20s play on weeknights. LL & EOSL working together is already positive and further co-operation with SPFL could be useful - indeed you could say the same of the Aberdeenshire U20s League which already caters for HL clubs and North Juniors. No need for strict membership demarcations at this level.

You could spin it the other way around as well. A few seasons ago Berwick played in the EOS U19s as it had certain benefits compared to SFL U19s.

It will be interesting to see how many team make it over the start line... There were 8 last season but Selkirk quit at halfway and Edinburgh City did not complete their program. Preston Athletic are obviously a newcomer (or rather returner: they had teams in the old EOSL U19s until a coupe of seasons ago). There are also clubs like Tynecastle, BSC Glasgow, Lothian THV and Cumbernauld Colts with teams already functioning in the SYFA U21/U19s and the Edinburgh pair used to play in the EOSL U19s. Over the last few years Gala, Gretna and I think Civil Service have also had brief flirtations.

Need some info from boys who are clued up on u20s lowland league and under 21s west of Scotland premier league

what's the better standard as my mates boy been offered to sign with clubs from both set ups ??