Lowland Development League

HibeeJibee

It's an u20 development league and should be a stepping stone to first teams at LL level and hopefully above. The scores should be irrelevant- it'll ultimately mean nothing to the players if they don't progress to a better level of football.

Think it's a trait of the Scottish mentality that we would consider this a 'loss'.

you have got me all wrong it would be a great move for the kid and be great for spartans as a club for them to be developing players that can go to that level but as a team he would be hard to replace

George got another call up to the 1st team yesterday & came on late on, he looks the part, let's hope we can keep him at ours, he's the sort of player that will develop more & be right for us next season & hopefully at an higher level.

Grimbo

Have to agree with both Surely Not & Happy Gilmore - development is paramount and although Spartans would love to progress the lad through the ranks, it would be totally selfish to step in his way if a bigger gun came in, that's if the lad wanted to move of course, he's maybe once bitten......,, Trying to get someone to fill his boots would be a mighty task. The lad Atkinson was touted as the next big thing at Spartans (contract and all) but has not progressed by all accounts, their extensive youth set up may have a candidate in the wings - no pun intended ;-)

Edited by Sharkey's Machine

Have seen all the teams this season bar the two university teams and think, Spartans apart, any team can beat any other team on any given day. All the teams play the game on the floor and imho it is better to watch this level of football than some of the dross played by over paid prima donnas. At the very least the lads are trying to play the game it should be played,this is down to the coaches who should be applauded for playing their teams this way. Well that's my tuppence worth, time for Deuchars

Have seen all the teams this season bar the two university teams and think, Spartans apart, any team can beat any other team on any given day. All the teams play the game on the floor and imho it is better to watch this level of football than some of the dross played by over paid prima donnas. At the very least the lads are trying to play the game it should be played,this is down to the coaches who should be applauded for playing their teams this way. Well that's my tuppence worth, time for Deuchars

Agree with that, but would hope it to be the case as is like to think the coaches are charged with improving each player rather than the results and therefore would be able to play without the 'pressure' of results.

Probably idealistic in my view there but IMO that's how it should be. The sooner people in Scotland can accept that the score means nowt til adult fitba the better. So if selkirk (for instance) have a side that can't defend but all their attacking players progress to the next level then that's a huge result.

I'd imagine it's based around the whole concept of them being able to sign guys that age as full time footballers so you'd expect them to be a little higher in an u20 league.

However, they've struggled as a club since the start of September and a quick look at the league table shows them only four points better off now than they were after 4 games and three of them came against a gala side that have massively disappointed over the same time frame. Was quite excited by the strong start the borders teams made but interestingly only Vale seem to be doing ok and they were the ones originally heavily criticised on here while selkirk and gala got heaps of praise.

Selkirk u20's are now made up of guys at college, guys who have jobs and young French lads.

Watched a few teams in this league this season. Most teams on a level par. Development has to be key over results. Players making 1st team football surely means more to the clubs than winning the league and producing nothing.

Looking at the league table, selkirk looks like they know where the goals are, shame there defenders don't know about the one behind them!

having taken a key interest in the 20s this year, Spartans are definitely the team to watch and very good going going forward

Leith have good individual players and play attractive

having seen heriot watt twice now, they have surprised me, they seem every organised, work really hard and play attractive football

whitehill have good individual players but as a team they seem to struggle

it has been very interesting this year and it is not about results but how players are improving, if the coaches insist on winning at all costs , then the young boys forget to actually play the game

but teams that improve technically and tactically most likely will win the most games, so win win situation, coaches look to improve your players on this ethos and you will yield your results,

anyway way to watch my beloved team pick up 3 points in the lowland league today

Went along to Ainslie on Friday, bitter night but intrigue got the better of me - was it a Spartans blip a fortnight ago? You better believe it! Totally dominant all over the park! Shape was as per and therefore although City tried to emulate their Meadowbank game plan Spartans were back to their comfortable best i.e. Passing & moving at pace. Spartans central defenders could have shared a pack of Hamlets for the most. Even though the City striker (mikey?) worked his socks off again!' he didn't get much effective support. I reported the first time these teams met this season that the players & coaches were a credit to their respective clubs, unfortunately this could not be applied to City in this game, indiscipline reared it's ugly head as the game slipped away from them compounded with an over the ball shocker and a volley of abuse directed to the official for rightly brandishing a straight red card. Blip put to bed emphatically!!!

Big weekend looms for the Youth Cup clubs.

Hearts v Whitehill is on Friday, sadly as I suggested not at Tynecastle but at Newtongrange Star (7pm). Banks o'Dee v Selkirk and EK v Queen's Park are both Sunday (2pm and 2:30pm respectively). It seems Rangers v Spartans is Wednesday, 7:30pm at Ibrox, after initially being pencilled-in for Sunday at Murray Park.

Best of luck to all the non-leaguers.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Spartans v's Rangers is on wednesday 5th November at Ibrox 7.30pm kick off. Ibrox not available on the sunday, but what an occasion for the Spartans youngsters to play in the stadium rather than at Rangers training complex.

Edited by gaz1959

Big weekend looms for the Youth Cup clubs.

Hearts v Whitehill is on Friday, sadly as I suggested not at Tynecastle but at Newtongrange Star (7pm). Banks o'Dee v Selkirk and EK v Queen's Park are both Sunday (2pm and 2:30pm respectively). It seems Rangers v Spartans is Wednesday, 7:30pm at Ibrox, after initially being pencilled-in for Sunday at Murray Park.

Best of luck to all the non-leaguers.

Hearts play all their home league games at Newtongrange, and also used us for the early rounds of their cup run last year. Kick off tonight is 7pm, and admission £3/£1.

Took in the hearts v whitehill game tonight, whitehill done well I thought! Hearts players a lot sharper which is expected! If whitehill moved the ball quicker they could have caused more problems, then again hearts looked like they had a few more gears if needed! No disgrace to the welfare lads though

Took a trip out to Riccarton to watch the city v Heriot Watt game. To be honest you don't know what you're going to get when you watch this city team, sometimes a great passing game with bits of individual skill and sometimes a team just going through the motions. Yesterday it was going through the motions, no spark, no midfield imagination, the two front players trying their best but not getting much if any support, to be fair the uni team played a pressing game but it seemed that the city team would have been quite happy for the 90 mins to get past as quick as possible and never mind what the score was. One note to finish on, city could have done with a dodgy Russian linesman when the ball came down off the bar over the line only for the ref to wave play on, even the uni squad were murdering that the ball was over the line. You win some you lose some. Better be a big improvement in the play if the team wants to get near winning anything this season. Cheers guys Whitehill on Friday, looking forward to a better game.

HI HAT

Massive congratulations to Selkirk U20s who I see, despite the disruption of last week's bus accident, have just beaten Banks o'Dee 4-2 away to reach the Last 16 of the Scottish Youth Cup. They're the only non-league club to make it and face Hamilton Accies away. This will also mean that Selkirk are seeded into the Last 32 of next season's cup.