Lowland Development League

HibeeJibee

It would be interesting to know what the progression is like from the under 20s into their full sides?
I'd guess its exceptionally low.
Obviously not one of the "bigger" clubs, but at Dunipace last season our numbers were as follows:

- 15 separate under 20's in competitive first team squads
- 9 of those made their senior debut in those games
- 7 of those started one or more games
- 2 started 5 games or more
- 38 appearances in the first team by under 20's players in total, most of those starts
- 3 players promoted to senior side for next season

Given it was our first year running a 20's side, we're delighted with those numbers and the success of the team.

We want to regularly develop players into our first team and beyond, it's very much the model we are aiming at.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

2 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Obviously not one of the "bigger" clubs, but at Dunipace last season our numbers were as follows:

- 15 separate under 20's in competitive first team squads
- 9 of those made their senior debut in those games
- 7 of those started one or more games
- 2 started 5 games or more
- 38 appearances in the first team by under 20's players in total, most of those starts
- 3 players promoted to senior side for next season

Given it was our first year running a 20's side, we're delighted with those numbers and the success of the team.

We want to regularly develop players into our first team and beyond, it's very much the model we are aiming at.

Thanks for the reply Gaz5 - that's pretty amazing and sounds like an excellent planned pathway and successful execution.

I suppose my concern looking at the likes of Bonnyrigg is that most of our players have come through top sides academies before dropping down the leagues. When the SPFL under 20s sides empty out 10 players a season, they're going to filter down and are going to be higher quality perhaps than the lowland league under 20s. I wondered if clubs would review their under 20s in years to come as a means to provide extra squad numbers when injuries and suspensions kick in, but with little progression.

The dunipace example seems to contradict this.

Thanks for the reply Gaz5 - that's pretty amazing and sounds like an excellent planned pathway and successful execution.
I suppose my concern looking at the likes of Bonnyrigg is that most of our players have come through top sides academies before dropping down the leagues. When the SPFL under 20s sides empty out 10 players a season, they're going to filter down and are going to be higher quality perhaps than the lowland league under 20s. I wondered if clubs would review their under 20s in years to come as a means to provide extra squad numbers when injuries and suspensions kick in, but with little progression.
The dunipace example seems to contradict this.
Everyone will have their own ambitions and plans for their 20's I'm sure, I don't think it's ever likely to be one size fits all at our level, just like it isn't higher up the tree here or indeed all across the world.

Our ambition, with a (nearly) full youth setup of boys and girls from as young as 5 and a facility they can all use, is to have that pathway where we not only get players into our first team, but push players on to the highest level they can play at.

Easier said than done, sure, but for a club like ours the right aim.

Rumour alert - so all the usual caveats about it being possibly pish.

33 applications I've heard.

One sticking point is holding up the release of the teams and fixtures.  Team 33 was Preston athletic who applied right on the 15th.

Arguments are ongoing as to whether their application was in on time or time.  ie were applications to be in before the 5 (2359 on 14th) or was it midnight ON the 15th?

Apparently the league (also know as spartans as everything is run by them and for them - lol) don't want 33 teams as 32 is easier obviously, so trying to find a way to exclude preston 20s.  SFA involved (so it will be some point in december before a decision is made.....)

6 minutes ago, oldandround said:

One sticking point is holding up the release of the teams and fixtures.  Team 33 was Preston athletic who applied right on the 15th.

Arguments are ongoing as to whether their application was in on time or time.  ie were applications to be in before the 5 (2359 on 14th) or was it midnight ON the 15th?

Apparently the league (also know as spartans as everything is run by them and for them - lol) don't want 33 teams as 32 is easier obviously, so trying to find a way to exclude preston 20s.  SFA involved (so it will be some point in december before a decision is made.....)

The same Preston who scratched in the youth cup and pulled out the 20’s in league?

I’d like to see the strongest teams play each other as it benefits no one having high scores and uncompetitive games. Top 8 from each conference last season into a conference and rest in another. It’s about development first and foremost and competitive games develop everyone.

4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Given matches are a Friday night I hope consideration has been given to location as travelling could be an issue as well as cost.

Everyone knows  these things before they apply, so teams should be prepared to accept it.

Everyone knows  these things before they apply, so teams should be prepared to accept it.
That's obvious, but also this is u20 football, it doesn't need clubs travelling all over the central belt on a Friday night in order to develop players, which is what its all about.

Having hierarchical divisions in a youth league is problematic as the churn of players is so great. Nothing to say the top teams from last season will be the top teams this season.

You would certainly need very considerable promotion-and-relegation to keep it in reasonable check.

All the teams must be within 45-60mins drive of one another with the exception of Bonnyton and Mid Annandale, and they're far away from everyone.

52 minutes ago, oldandround said:

If their application was in on time and up to standard I don’t see why they wouldn’t be accepted, which makes me think it wasn’t on time.

50 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

The same Preston who scratched in the youth cup and pulled out the 20’s in league?

I’d like to see the strongest teams play each other as it benefits no one having high scores and uncompetitive games. Top 8 from each conference last season into a conference and rest in another. It’s about development first and foremost and competitive games develop everyone.

yes.

However this year is the complete Longniddry Villa u19's team (who are actually 2001 so were an u18 team) , coaches and all, that just won the SERYFA U19 league along with 4 cups, that's becoming Preston athletic.

That team has been together with the same coaches since 5 years old.  They'll be fine for 2 years at u20's I reckon.

Edited by oldandround
typos