Should we have a SPFL TV?

How many other leagues have sponsors and not "official partners"

I know England does, but I can't think of anymore from the top of my head. i.e The Irn Bru Bundesliga

Liga BBVA, Serie A TIM, Liga Sagres, Juplier League... There are more but that's off the top of my head immediately.

Liga BBVA, Serie A TIM, Liga Sagres, Juplier League... There are more but that's off the top of my head immediately.

Tippeligaen, Raiffeisen Super League, Airtricity League.

Iceland's topflight is officially known as the Pepsi League (Pepsi-deildin)

I remember the heady days when SPL TV was an actual proposal. Sky offered to renew the TV contract but on the same terms as previously offered and Roger Mitchell decided the way to go was for the SPL to start their own TV channel. I remember listening to an interview with Roger on Sportsound where he said that when the SPL board were discussing the SPL he'd looked around the table and seen so many "hard-nosed businessmen" that he was sure it would be a winner. Bear in mind that the people he would be looking at included the Marr brothers, Dominic Keane, John Boyle, David Murray etc. What a fucking minter the whole thing was.

I remember the heady days when SPL TV was an actual proposal. Sky offered to renew the TV contract but on the same terms as previously offered and Roger Mitchell decided the way to go was for the SPL to start their own TV channel. I remember listening to an interview with Roger on Sportsound where he said that when the SPL board were discussing the SPL he'd looked around the table and seen so many "hard-nosed businessmen" that he was sure it would be a winner. Bear in mind that the people he would be looking at included the Marr brothers, Dominic Keane, John Boyle, David Murray etc. What a fucking minter the whole thing was.

I remember that.

Didn't the SPL clubs at the time threaden to resign from the league if Celtic and Rangers refused to sign up for it?

I think possibly with the right coverage. The right programmes and the right advertisement all at a reasonable price this could actually work. There is a massive chance that it wouldn't work as well though. The whole thing would need to be done perfectly and that would never happen as we all know the SFA etc can't do the simplest of tasks.

Didn't the Dutch sell their channel to Murdoch for a huge amount of money? I think it would work if it was professionally done, but that's a big if.

People often forget that there is a lot of money to be made simply selling football to pubs and other commercial establishments. The blurring of the lines between TV and the Internet also makes it more viable than before. The big problem is that unlike the current situation, you'd have to put money up front and gradually get an uncertain amount back later. Most clubs can't afford to do that as they rely on a big cheque early in the season.

Archived