Female Managers in the SPFL? In the Premiership?

I see that Lowland League club University of Stirling have just announced the appointment of Shelley Kerr as their new manager - making her the first female manager of a British senior mens football club (and arguably the first of a professional club given a good proportion of Stirling players are effectively full-time).

In principle, this could see a female manager in the Scottish League next season - as Stirling finished 2nd last season and going one better would mean the playoffs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28856370

However it got me thinking. Assuming that doesn't occur - how long until a SPFL club appoints a woman? A few years perhaps, or a decade? It would have seemed unthinkable not long ago, but more recently, I'm less sure.

How long until a Premiership club appoints a female manager? Or is it possible there will never be a female top-tier gaffer in Scotland?

Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than a decade at least. We'll need to get to the point where Chairmen feel comfortable appointing someone who doesn't have a great football background first and that's still a long way off except for the truly brilliantly talented managers.

More than a decade at least. We'll need to get to the point where Chairmen feel comfortable appointing someone who doesn't have a great football background first and that's still a long way off except for the truly brilliantly talented managers.

Fair point. I do wonder if the likliest route is to do well in the non-leagues then move.

Or is SPFL a level at which "(mens) professional playing experience" will always be desired?

As long as they have ability as a manager who actually gives a shit what gender/sexuality/race/creed/whatever the person is?

Feasibly if a woman went and got her badges, proved herself like any other manager should do then what is the issue?

Will likely be sometime before we see a female manager in the SPFL as the chairmen will want someone with a proven track record but lower division clubs might take more of a chance and let them prove themselves there.

There'll never be a successful top level female manager in my lifetime. Far too many obstacles even if they were good enough.

*insert sexist joke here about the obstacles being shoe-shops etc.*

I see that Lowland League club University of Stirling have just announced the appointment of Shelley Kerr as their new manager - making her the first female manager of a British senior mens football club (and arguably the first of a professional club given a good proportion of Stirling players are effectively full-time).

In principle, this could see a female manager in the Scottish League next season - as Stirling finished 2nd last season and going one better would mean the playoffs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28856370

However it got me thinking. Assuming that doesn't occur - how long until a SPFL club appoints a woman? A few years perhaps, or a decade? It would have seemed unthinkable not long ago, but more recently, I'm less sure.

How long until a Premiership club appoints a female manager? Or is it possible there will never be a female top-tier gaffer in Scotland?

Thoughts?

Hibs could because they have tried everything else...... and failed. Also isn't Leanne Dempster the Chief Exec?

Hibs could because they have tried everything else...... and failed. Also isn't Leanne Dempster the Chief Exec?

Aye. Interesting thought... maybe a female chairman, CEO or dare I say it club owner would be more likely to appoint a woman as manager than otherwise might?

Aye. Interesting thought... maybe a female chairman, CEO or dare I say it club owner would be more likely to appoint a woman as manager than otherwise might?

I don't think so.

It will take a brave chairman to do it, but there's nothing to suggest that a female manager can't be as effective (or more so) than the male equivalent. As attitudes continue to change and the Sandy Clarks of this world get pushed out, players will be more and more open to listening to new ideas.

I hope she's a success and can prove plenty of the detractors wrong.

And if a female owner/office bearer appointed a manager because she was a woman would we hear cries of sexism? Would we hell.

Archived