Wy Is Farting Funny?

It's a serious question, really.

I was out with a pal from back home who is now a teacher at a fairly exclusive school over here and we were discussing how two grown men in their forties, (weeeeell, he is), and in supposedly professional jobs, could still find farting funny. I discussed this further in work and it would seem to be a fairly common thing.

Why do grown adults, mostly men, find farting funny?

Is it a throwback to childhood or are we just a bunch of puerile fannies? Any serious ideas appreciated.

I thought I needed a shite the other day. Went to the toilet and it ended up just being a thunderous fart. You know the kind where you genuinely feel about a stone lighter afterwards. I was almost in tears of laughter.

I'm reminded of this story from Herald writer Tom Shields in his diary column :

We hear of an elegant lady Primary 7 teacher in a Glasgow school who was returning the class's language jotters after marking. Unhappy with the work one child had produced she leant over his desk and said quietly : "Half-hearted," as she placed the jotter in front of him.He looked at her wide eyed before turning to his pal and whispering incredulously :
"She said she's farted"

Surely to f**k there's a massive university research grant in this?

Academics have already used the grant on studying 'are people who find farts funny more likely to vote Yes?'.

Archived