Sign in to follow this  
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Wy Is Farting Funny?

It's a serious question, really.

I was out with a pal from back home who is now a teacher at a fairly exclusive school over here and we were discussing how two grown men in their forties, (weeeeell, he is), and in supposedly professional jobs, could still find farting funny. I discussed this further in work and it would seem to be a fairly common thing.

Why do grown adults, mostly men, find farting funny?

Is it a throwback to childhood or are we just a bunch of puerile fannies? Any serious ideas appreciated.

I thought I needed a shite the other day. Went to the toilet and it ended up just being a thunderous fart. You know the kind where you genuinely feel about a stone lighter afterwards. I was almost in tears of laughter.

They're funny unless it's just a puff of wind without the high pitch noise, then it's just horrible. Horrible I tell ye.

We discussed it being a remnant of childhood, or perhaps the inappropriateness of doing a ripper in company as being potential reasons for the comedy value of an air biscuit.

I'm on holiday in Turkey just now and I have bad guts,cannot be too far from the toilet,i long for the hour when i can fart away without the fear of follow thru

I'm reminded of this story from Herald writer Tom Shields in his diary column :

We hear of an elegant lady Primary 7 teacher in a Glasgow school who was returning the class's language jotters after marking. Unhappy with the work one child had produced she leant over his desk and said quietly : "Half-hearted," as she placed the jotter in front of him.He looked at her wide eyed before turning to his pal and whispering incredulously :
"She said she's farted"

Puerile fannies.

Without going down the whole southpark 'queffing' route, fanny farts are brilliant too. The artist formerly known as mrs root was fairly prolific in this regard, oh how we (well me) tittered so :-)

Surely to f**k there's a massive university research grant in this?

Academics have already used the grant on studying 'are people who find farts funny more likely to vote Yes?'.

I farted so loudly last night it woke my wife up.