Kilmarnock v Motherwell - 23/08/14

Our season has started in much the same fashion as last season, scraping a 1-0 win on the opening day and then losing the next two culminating in a 2-0 defeat to Inverness where we were played off the park. We followed that up by winning 3 games on the bounce, each one by a single goal without playing particularity well. It was that ability to drag ourselves through games and grind out the points when we weren't playing particularly well that separated us from the others last season.

While Saturday won't necessarily define our season it should go some way to showing if we have the same sort of character we had last season. Three defeats in a row would certainly be a bit worrying, must be going back a few years to the last time that happened.

Can't see it happening here through, it probably won't be pretty but I fancy us to win this one in a similar fashion to our last visit to Rugby Park.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Motherwell defender Stephen McManus has joined manager Derek McInnes, of Aberdeen, and Derek Adams, of Ross County, in criticising Kilmarnock's new artificial surface, saying it should not be allowed in the Scottish Premiership."

2012_06_10.jpg

What did McManus actually say? And what was the question? More than likely "If you were Neil Doncaster, would you allow plastic pitches in the SPFL?" "No, I prefer playing on grass."

What did McManus actually say? And what was the question? More than likely "If you were Neil Doncaster, would you allow plastic pitches in the SPFL?" "No, I prefer playing on grass."

“I don’t like it and I don’t think it should be allowed at this level.

“It’s not the same as grass but we’ve all played on it throughout our careers so we’ll have to deal with it and we’ll go there and look to win the game.

I dont like it and I dont think it should be allowed at this level.

Its not the same as grass but weve all played on it throughout our careers so well have to deal with it and well go there and look to win the game.

Perfectly reasonable reply.

Perfectly reasonable reply.

The "it shouldn't be allowed at this level" part is completely unreasonable. Has he stepped foot on the park or tested it himself? The SPFL and UEFA deem the pitch suitable for top-flight football and European football (should we ever get there again) so whether Stephen McManus approves or not is completely inconsequential. Maybe these guys should be asked in January or February what they think of playing at Rugby Park, when their last 10 games have been on mud.

The "it shouldn't be allowed at this level" part is completely unreasonable. Has he stepped foot on the park or tested it himself? The SPFL and UEFA deem the pitch suitable for top-flight football and European football (should we ever get there again) so whether Stephen McManus approves or not is completely inconsequential. Maybe these guys should be asked in January or February what they think of playing at Rugby Park, when their last 10 games have been on mud.

Well I wouldn't say it's "completely unreasonable". He obviously just feels that at the top level of the game (full time professional) that we should be playing on the best surface available, which is real grass. Of course at times some pitches can become a bit worn or muddy but that's just part of the game (especially here in Scotland).

I don't have a problem with astro grass pitches, but who am I really to judge. A pro as experienced as McManus probably knows more about it than you or I, though.

Well I wouldn't say it's "completely unreasonable". He obviously just feels that at the top level of the game (full time professional) that we should be playing on the best surface available, which is real grass. Of course at times some pitches can become a bit worn or muddy but that's just part of the game (especially here in Scotland).

I don't have a problem with astro grass pitches, but who am I really to judge. A pro as experienced as McManus probably knows more about it than you or I, though.

So has McManus tried our pitch out, or is he generalising?

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. Stop getting so hurt about an opinion that differs from your own. :lol:

So has McManus tried our pitch out, or is he generalising?

I'd imagine he was probably just generalising, so I'd probably not take as much offence!

He'll have played on many different astro grass pitches of varying types and quality over the years I'm sure, so he's probably quite entitled to just assume that grass is better than whatever Kilmarnock or whoever have.

Maybe after playing on Killie's pitch he'll have a change of heart and write an open letter apologising to Kilmarnock FC and their fans for his wrong assumption that natural grass is better than synthetic stuff. I wouldn't hold your breath though...

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. Stop getting so hurt about an opinion that differs from your own. :lol:

It's nothing to do with opinions that differ from my own :lol:

I'd imagine he was probably just generalising, so I'd probably not take as much offence!

He'll have played on many different astro grass pitches of varying types and quality over the years I'm sure, so he's probably quite entitled to just assume that grass is better than whatever Kilmarnock or whoever have.

Maybe after playing on Killie's pitch he'll have a change of heart and write an open letter apologising to Kilmarnock FC and their fans for his wrong assumption that natural grass is better than synthetic stuff. I wouldn't hold your breath though...

I'm certainly not taking offence. It's just funny that the media seem to be leading this anti-3G crusade, which is helped no end by Scottish football's draconian attitude to anything that isn't like 'the good old days' :lol:

I would rather we play on grass as well, but in around 3-4 months time most pitches in Scotland are going to be a mess and that is when the value of the new pitch will be shown. I think most people would rather play on grass, but it makes sense for clubs like Killie (and montherwell) to install it so they can maximize the revenues from it.

The good thing about our carpet is that it gives opposition fans something else to accuse and complain about rather than call us sevco lite

As can be seen in the Killie goes plastic thread everybody has an opinion , can I direct all comments their and keep the football threads free from this Pish

I would rather we play on grass as well, but in around 3-4 months time most pitches in Scotland are going to be a mess and that is when the value of the new pitch will be shown. I think most people would rather play on grass, but it makes sense for clubs like Killie (and montherwell) to install it so they can maximize the revenues from it.

Killie are not renting the pitch out to anyone. It will only be for games for youths & U20's and for training

Archived