holiday entitlement

Hi guys,

Currently workibg on a 4 on 4 off basis 12 hour shifts rotating days and nights. Wonder if anyone works simikar and what their holiday entitlement is.

I assumed it must be 28 days but have been told I have 22 and a half days holiday.

Hi guys,

Currently workibg on a 4 on 4 off basis 12 hour shifts rotating days and nights. Wonder if anyone works simikar and what their holiday entitlement is.

I assumed it must be 28 days but have been told I have 22 and a half days holiday.

Is that equivalented into hours? 22.5 x 12 = 270 hours. 28 x 8 = 224. You're better off than someone who does 'normal' shifts!

you get less holiday 'days' because you work longer hours. I think the holidays will be worked out on a FTE basis where by 8 hours is a normal FT day. On this basis 22.5 days holiday @ 12 hours pay sounds about right. Not got time to do the maths but it seems about right.

Statutory entitlement is 28 days (including all public holidays) for a full-time employee and if you're getting less they're breaking the law.

As others have said though, it'll be based on hours. The NHS do that, I'm sure many others do too. When I get a day off I get paid for 8 hours. You'll be getting paid for 12 hours, so you'll be getting the same paid amount of time off as someone with more actual holiday days.

Absolute statutory minimum based on what you have said is 19.6 days, or 235.2 hours, to include bank holidays.

28 days is the statutory minimum for a 5 day worker. Over one cycle of your shift pattern you work an average of 3.5 days per week. Therefore 28*3.5/5 = 19.6 days.

22.5 days would be for a 4 day worker, you don't work 4 days per week, you work 3.5 days per week over an averaged shift cycle.

The law changed in relation to annual leave in October 2007.

The statutory minimum used to be 20 days, but some unscrupulous employers were including bank holidays in that, so once the 8 bank holidays had been accounted for the employee was only left with 12 other days annual leave.

Changing the statutory minimum to 28 meant that a full time worker was guaranteed the 8 bank holidays in addition to 20 days annual leave. However it meant that employees on shift patterns resulting in less than 5 days per week could theoretically end up getting the bank holidays pro-rated as well.

What maybe should have happened in that the law was changed to say that the statutory minimum is 4 weeks, plus 8 bank holidays. That way a full time 5 day worker would still get a stat min of 28 days, and someone on your shift pattern would get a stat min of 22 days (3.5*4 weeks, plus 8 BH).

Absolute statutory minimum based on what you have said is 19.6 days, or 235.2 hours, to include bank holidays.

28 days is the statutory minimum for a 5 day worker. Over one cycle of your shift pattern you work an average of 3.5 days per week. Therefore 28*3.5/5 = 19.6 days.

22.5 days would be for a 4 day worker, you don't work 4 days per week, you work 3.5 days per week over an averaged shift cycle.

The law changed in relation to annual leave in October 2007.

The statutory minimum used to be 20 days, but some unscrupulous employers were including bank holidays in that, so once the 8 bank holidays had been accounted for the employee was only left with 12 other days annual leave.

Changing the statutory minimum to 28 meant that a full time worker was guaranteed the 8 bank holidays in addition to 20 days annual leave. However it meant that employees on shift patterns resulting in less than 5 days per week could theoretically end up getting the bank holidays pro-rated as well.

What maybe should have happened in that the law was changed to say that the statutory minimum is 4 weeks, plus 8 bank holidays. That way a full time 5 day worker would still get a stat min of 28 days, and someone on your shift pattern would get a stat min of 22 days (3.5*4 weeks, plus 8 BH).

19.6 shifts rather than days.

23 + 8 public holidays (4 fixed 4 flexi)

Also if we work 7.5 hours extra a month (which office based staff tend to do anyway) we get a flexi day off the next again month. So pretty much adds another 12 days holiday.

It's not all bad.

Offshore with the same company I would be entitled to 40 days holiday a year, although if I was on rotation I would be expected to take them during my time onshore unless I arranged something with my back to back.

Archived