Best young prospect in the league?

Don't agree with that actually. Probably more of a tartan army rambling post coming up, but there you go.

I was at a game at St Mirren Park in May. Scotland u21's v Holland u21's in a Euro qualifier.

It was a strong young team from us, not far off what would be out first choice 11 at that level I guess. Armstrong from United, Fraser from Bournemouth, McGregor from Celtic, McGinn and McLean from St Mirren, Paterson and McGhee from Hearts and May from St Johnstone all started. Scougall, Slater and McKenzie all came on.

They lost 6-1, and that result flattered them. The difference in standard of player on show was pretty frightening.

The point is that relatively speaking, in a European context, these players aren't of a high standard at all. I don't think one young player we currently have in Scotland will go on to play for a top European club, which is what you want really. Holland had the Real Madrid/Barca/Bayern Munich players of the future on show that night. We had the Sheffield Wednesday/Derby County/Norwich players of the future on show, and I include John McGinn in that.

League 1, Championship and if they do well maybe low end EPL is where our best players go now. For whatever reason, we can't produce high end Champions League/International level players anymore, and none of our current crop look set to change that trend.

Was at that game as well, and what it showed me is that there wasn't one single good defensive minded player in the side. Going forward, Scotland looked quite good. The more goals Holland got, the more the heads went down, but I thought the more attacking players acquitted themselves quite well and if Scotland had something even resembling a defensive unit, then they might well have looked a bit better on the night. Alas, there's serious problems in that area in the future.

I think it's very difficult to judge the likes of Armstrong, McLean, McGinn and Fraser on a game like that, especially when, for the first hour, they actually played pretty well. Armstrong in particular seemed to be causing them all sorts of bother. I thought only McGregor and May were disappointments from an attacking standpoint. Then the heads went down.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGinn and Naismith for us IMO.

Gary Fraser, Ryan Christie, Craig Slater and John Souttar are others who are superb young players.

Ill prob get shot down by fellow saints fans for this but I think Naismith is over rated. He certainly is very quick and strong, but his distribution isn't great, and his positional sense isn't great either. I have no doubt hell be a solid SPL player for years to come, but in the "best prospect in the league" category? I'm not so sure.

More than happy to be proved wrong though!

Gary Fraser and John McGinn. Bannigan is quality as well though if he eradicates his stupid bookings and I hadn't seen much of McGregor before, but he looks like he could be Celtic's player of the season, going by the first couple of weeks.

ETA - Robbie Muirhead of Killie looks decent as well!

Don't agree with that actually. Probably more of a tartan army rambling post coming up, but there you go.

I was at a game at St Mirren Park in May. Scotland u21's v Holland u21's in a Euro qualifier.

It was a strong young team from us, not far off what would be out first choice 11 at that level I guess. Armstrong from United, Fraser from Bournemouth, McGregor from Celtic, McGinn and McLean from St Mirren, Paterson and McGhee from Hearts and May from St Johnstone all started. Scougall, Slater and McKenzie all came on.

They lost 6-1, and that result flattered them. The difference in standard of player on show was pretty frightening.

The point is that relatively speaking, in a European context, these players aren't of a high standard at all. I don't think one young player we currently have in Scotland will go on to play for a top European club, which is what you want really. Holland had the Real Madrid/Barca/Bayern Munich players of the future on show that night. We had the Sheffield Wednesday/Derby County/Norwich players of the future on show, and I include John McGinn in that.

League 1, Championship and if they do well maybe low end EPL is where our best players go now. For whatever reason, we can't produce high end Champions League/International level players anymore, and none of our current crop look set to change that trend.

This is all true, but on the other hand, our u17's beat Germany in the Euro Championships. I genuinely believe that Scottish clubs are finally starting to produce the right kind of footballers. We're years behind the major European countries, but our development programme under the new system is definitely doing things the right way. It took Belgium 10 years, but now they've got players playing at the highest level.

The sad thing is how it has taken so long for clubs to focus more on bringing through the youth, and even then it's only happened, largely, due to financial constraints. If you think of the money that some teams have thrown away on mediocre or past-their-best players to get a few years of success (some never even had success) when they could have been working on improving training facilities and coaching to bring through the homegrown players it's a bit sickening.

For Aberdeen I'd like to see how Lawrence Shankland does this season and see if he can break into the 1st team. Scott Wright made his debut against Riga in the Europa and looked an exciting prospect but i'll reserve judgement for when he plays against a team with a pulse.

Most guys who are top notch will be snapped up by an English club before they have made the grade here if they have top level talent. Darren Fletcher is our only player in the last 15 years to have played at the highest level consistently at a world class level and he was snapped up at an early age from an English club. Islam Feruz really excited me because if a team like Chelsea thinks he has what it takes then that is what gives us great cause for optimism. Unfortunately his attitude is stinking!

There is a guy called Jordan Allan who has moved down south to Wolves aged just 15 having already featured for Airdrie at just 14 so if he can keep developing the rate he is then fingers crossed we may have a top player on our hands.

Guys who have established themselves in the spl then moved on have done better of late and done ok at middle premier level but no Scot has left the spl and bossed champions league games for a team which is ultimately what we want. Steven Naismith has probably been the most successful and James McCarthy :( has also flourished at the higher end of the premier league.

I agree with the earlier poster that although we have some good players who have broke through in the last few years, there is none who you look at and think they can be global stars. It is the guys who haven't broke through yet and are getting excellent results at youth level under the stewardship of Mark Wotte who we should be getting really excited about. There is clear evidence his methods are working.

John McGinn. League Cup medal at 17. Captain of Scotland Under 19's. Scotland Under 21 player at 19. Starting his 3rd season as an established player and automatic pick and still only 19.

This, there isn't another young player in the league who has achieved what he has at his age. If he keeps improving at his rate, he'll be a great player for Scotland.

This, there isn't another young player in the league who has achieved what he has at his age. If he keeps improving at his rate, he'll be a great player for Scotland.

He looks a good player, but lets calm down. He was 18 and had just really broken into the team when St Mirren won the League Cup. He is now almost 20 and has 3 caps for the U19s and 2 for the U21s.

I hope he progresses and does well, but lets not get carried away!

Aye but your a Celtic fan and therefore wouldn't have a clue about young Scottish talent if it jumped up and belted you in the jaw.

Mind that time you went into Admin from buying all they foreigners? and the only decent young Scottish talent you've had in recent years you bought him from Livingston

Mind that time you went into Admin from buying all they foreigners? and the only decent young Scottish talent you've had in recent years you bought him from Livingston

Craig Forsyth currently first choice LB at Derby. Unlucky not to be be in the Premiership, won his first cap for Scotland recently too. Came through our youth system.

Craig Forsyth currently first choice LB at Derby. Unlucky not to be be in the Premiership, won his first cap for Scotland recently too. Came through our youth system.

Point being?

We sold a youth player for £9m who now plays for Everton.

Archived