Best young prospect in the league?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't agree with that actually. Probably more of a tartan army rambling post coming up, but there you go.

I was at a game at St Mirren Park in May. Scotland u21's v Holland u21's in a Euro qualifier.

It was a strong young team from us, not far off what would be out first choice 11 at that level I guess. Armstrong from United, Fraser from Bournemouth, McGregor from Celtic, McGinn and McLean from St Mirren, Paterson and McGhee from Hearts and May from St Johnstone all started. Scougall, Slater and McKenzie all came on.

They lost 6-1, and that result flattered them. The difference in standard of player on show was pretty frightening.

The point is that relatively speaking, in a European context, these players aren't of a high standard at all. I don't think one young player we currently have in Scotland will go on to play for a top European club, which is what you want really. Holland had the Real Madrid/Barca/Bayern Munich players of the future on show that night. We had the Sheffield Wednesday/Derby County/Norwich players of the future on show, and I include John McGinn in that.

League 1, Championship and if they do well maybe low end EPL is where our best players go now. For whatever reason, we can't produce high end Champions League/International level players anymore, and none of our current crop look set to change that trend.

Tony Watt Standard Liege think there in the champions league certainly the europa

Played well against Raith n' that though.

Craig Wighton had only scored against Cowdenbeath and Raith before his goal against Partick. Ziggy is a very good player that has been improving every season. One bad game against Inverness doesn't change that.

Craig Wighton had only scored against Cowdenbeath and Raith before his goal against Partick. Ziggy is a very good player that has been improving every season. One bad game against Inverness doesn't change that.

Most Dundee fans will take some convincing of that after last season where, like it or not, we had you on toast. That's usually not conducive to stand out individual performances.

He'd be a first choice in our current team easily though based on other games I've seen him in.

Aye, that well known footballing superpower standard liege.

Wow you support Thistle you being linked with Anelka?

Look at the players in the worlds best leagues that played in there league

Watt is up against all the top young talent before they move

Shop window for him to move to he has signed for 5 years.

Better than playing in the championship in England and certainly better than SPL

How many teams has Ziggy Gordon scored against?

Cowdenbeath and Morton. He has as many goals as Wighton :lol: Not denying Wighton won't turn out to be a very good player, I haven't actually seen him, but to say that Ziggy's performances in the lower league doesn't count when Wighton has scored most of his goals there is rather hypocritical.

Most Dundee fans will take some convincing of that after last season where, like it or not, we had you on toast. That's usually not conducive to stand out individual performances.

He'd be a first choice in our current team easily though based on other games I've seen him in.

I only saw 2 of our games against Dundee last season. One of which Ziggy came off injured early on and in the other we pinned you up against the wall all match but I agree, we did have a hard time against Dundee but surely the fact he got into the team of the season at right back and McGinn didn't shows he might not be too bad and is better than your right back.

John mcginn obviously. He is the complete midfielder, he can pass, shoot, tackle, quick and extremely strong for someone so slight built.

Ryan Christie looks a player, and slater of thistle looks good as well. I watched wighton a few months back in the u17 or 19s euro champs and he looked a really good player.

Players like pawlett, armstrong an GMS (what age is he?) will without doubt play at a higher level.

Deefiant, on 18 Aug 2014 - 22:48, said:

Ahead of Paul McGinn? I'm not so sure.

Ahead of Paul McGinn? I'm not so sure.

I like McGinn and he's done well in pre season but (and I've only seen the 2 home games) I think he has been pretty poor in the competitive games.

His first half against killie was very poor although he did rally and improve in the 2nd half.

Against thistle he again had a torrid time in the first half. He was slightly better in the 2nd despite being out of position but he wasn't tested as much due to the game turning in our favour.

Defo potential but I'm not fully convinced yet.

Its John McGinn by a fucking mile. And then in second its Josh Meekings (whos only turned 21).

For us it has to be Scott Brown, but he's only recently been playing so its impossible to tell how he'll turn out. I'd love for Dylan Easton to get more game time though, stood out in pre-season

Archived