Best young prospect in the league?

Seen a few fans of different teams claim to have this phenomenon in their squad.

With Ryan Gauds departure and Andy Robertson also off Utd have defo lost 2 of the brightest prospects.

If we can put an age limit of 21 on it who do you think has the brightest future in the SPFL?

I'll start the bidding with a fairly predictable Craig Wighton . Appreciate not many other fans in this league will be familiar with him but he is a wee bit special. Only just 17 and scored his first premier league goal on Saturday after coming on and turning the game.

I have also been impressed by Johnston (sp?) at killie and Gary Fraser at thistle so far but these are based on very limited viewings so far.

Fill your boots.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we have found a McCarthy or McArthur yet but I'd say our 2 full backs Ziggy Gordon (21) and Stephen Hendrie (19) can be the next big thing to come from Accies. Hendrie was p*sh last season and was poor against ICT but, despite not even meant to be playing, showed signs of his former self against St Johnstone. He broke into the first team at 16 and has played for Scotland youth teams pretty much ever since. Ziggy is a class act. His tackling, marauding runs and he has a pretty good left foot on him (despite being a predominately right footed player). We rejected a bid from PAOK over the summer so he's clearly being looked at.

We have some other players that might break through. Our backup keeper Blair Currie (20) was signed from Rangers at the start of last season and has made a couple of starts against Morton and QoS where he made a some very good stops. Eamonn Brophy got 7 goals in 9 league games on loan at Queens Park last season but I think he needs to have another season on loan but in the Championship this time. Greg Docherty (17) is touch and go in my opinion. He made his debut last season and looks like he has potential to be quite good but I think it's a bit too early to tell.

I'll leave it to fans of other clubs to talk up St Mirrens young players.

From the rest of the league the stand out for me at the minute is Ryan Christie of ICT. Seen him linked with English clubs in English papers today and not surprised, he looks like a proper player, and he's only 19, same age as McGinn.

If we are going to talk about players in their 20's as 'prospects' then I expect Pawlett, Gordon, Jack and Armstrong will all go on to play at a higher level.

From Aberdeen we have Cammy Smith who has been around ages but is still only 19 I think, perhaps not as good as Gauld etc but could be a good SPL standard player. The boy Ziggy Gordon is one I'd say looked good when I saw him in the play off second leg v Hibs last season.

McGregor has looked good for Celtic, so I'm sure he'll be dumped forthwith to make space for a similarly aged Dane/Bulgarian/Nigerian.

Still haven't seen Wighton so will reserve judgement. For United, Souttar has been given a much needed break from the starting lineup this season, Armstrong is no longer a 'young prospect', so I suppose Telfer and Spittal are out two current most likely of those getting minutes on the park.

Archived