Anyone think a bottom 6 club will get into Europe this season?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That article says if the winners had already qualified for the UCL, but doesn't mention if the winners had already qualified for Europa League.

I assume that would be the same? IE if 2nd beats 10th in the Scottish Cup Final, 4th gets into Europe and 10th doesn't.

Bizarrely I don't think that is the case. It's only if the winners have qualified for the CL.

:huh: UEFA don't decide who qualifies through domestic competitions, its down to the SFA I'm sure.

Pretty sure it changed in 2008, due to shite like Gretna and Dunfermline getting pumped early doors. The winners qualify, but if they've already qualified then the runners up get nothing.

For example - Scottish Cup Final 2009/2010 - Dundee United beat Ross County, Dundee United had already qualified by finished 3rd, so the place went to Motherwell and not Ross County

:huh: UEFA don't decide who qualifies through domestic competitions, its down to the SFA I'm sure.

Pretty sure it changed in 2008, due to shite like Gretna and Dunfermline getting pumped early doors. The winners qualify, but if they've already qualified then the runners up get nothing.

For example - Scottish Cup Final 2009/2010 - Dundee United beat Ross County, Dundee United had already qualified by finished 3rd, so the place went to Motherwell and not Ross County

Hibs qualified last year after losing 3-0 to Celtic in the previous years final. They finished bottom 6 that year, and got then tanked 9-0 by Malmo in Europe.

Hibs qualified last year after losing 3-0 to Celtic in the previous years final. They finished bottom 6 that year, and got then tanked 9-0 by Malmo in Europe.

Because the winners were in the CL it seems.

The rules seem to be the winners go into Europe. If the winners have already qualified for the CL then the runners up get into the Europa League, if the winners have already qualified for the Europa League then the highest placed team in the league get Europe instead of the runners up

To answer seriously, out of last season's six lowest placed sides Partick Thistle, Dundee and maybe Accies look like challenging for top six based on early form.

Although we're a hard team to beat, I think scoring goals might be our main problem this season. I know it's still early doors but we are creating plenty of chances but not taking them. One of our strikers needs to get off the mark very soon.

To answer seriously, out of last season's six lowest placed sides Partick Thistle, Dundee and maybe Accies look like challenging for top six based on early form.

Can't see Dundee or Accies managing it. Dundee, as has been said, probably lack the cutting edge to pick up enough points, while Accies aren't good enough. Partick look the best shout just now, while Kilmarnock are possibly dark horses. We're likely the most obvious to drop out the top half

Nope, x3.

National associations have no flexibility as regards who qualifies for Europe, other than: [1] they can organise systems of playoffs (e.g. the Dutch had one for their last CL slot and I think still have one for the EL); and [2] they can apply to UEFA to have their worst EL slot awarded to a League Cup although it's at UEFA's discretion.

Since the Cup-Winners' Cup ended in 2000, the system has unchangingly been that the Association Cup winner takes the best EL slot... or if it's won by a CL qualifier and the runner-up hasn't qualified they take the worst EL slot. Otherwise the slots cascade down the league.

All that's changing next season is the runners-up provision I've italicised is going.

And were pumped in the first qualifier to dross from Iceland, Leichtenstein and Ireland etc

In that scenario the highest played league club outwith the europa league spots should take the spot

When we reached the Scottish Cup final in 2004, we finished 4th in the league so we had earned qualification through our league position regardless. The result against that Icelandic mob was a shocker though.

The second time we reached the final we qualified through that route, albeit we lost to a Swedish team that was on the same level to us.

European spots should have always been given based on league position and not how you've done over 4 or 5 knockout games. Stops shite like Gretna and Hibs getting dicked by joiners and students from Torshavn or somewhere before the end of July.

Bring back the Cup Winners Cup in a knock-out only format I say. Some teams are better suited to knock-out formats for competition than league formats, eg last year's Celtic team scooshed the league but were pathetic in knock-out competition.The group stages of European competitions feel like qualifying rounds to me but I'm an old chunt and prefer the old competitions.

Can't see Dundee or Accies managing it. Dundee, as has been said, probably lack the cutting edge to pick up enough points, while Accies aren't good enough. Partick look the best shout just now, while Kilmarnock are possibly dark horses. We're likely the most obvious to drop out the top half

CONSIDERING we pumped you on sat , cant see ST johnstone managing it ' just not good enough'

That article says if the winners had already qualified for the UCL, but doesn't mention if the winners had already qualified for Europa League.

I assume that would be the same? IE if 2nd beats 10th in the Scottish Cup Final, 4th gets into Europe and 10th doesn't.

It was already the case that if the winners qualified for the Europa League via the league, then the spare place went to the league and not the runners-up.

The Champions League part is the change to the rules from this season, which is why only it is mentioned.

Pretty sure it IS the SFA. They get the spots and they spread it out how they want

It's not, other than the 2 tiny exceptions I noted, the first of which is simply a different way of allocating the worst EL slot in the league anyway.

People are getting confused about what happens if the EL winner had already qualified because they're forgetting that the Cup uses the best EL slot. Even if a club finished 2nd and won the Cup, there would be no question for the rules to resolve regarding the cup runner-up - as the club would qualify as Cup Winner and the league slots would cascade down 1 place.

European spots should have always been given based on league position and not how you've done over 4 or 5 knockout games. Stops shite like Gretna and Hibs getting dicked by joiners and students from Torshavn or somewhere before the end of July.

How do you stop the second best team in the country getting dicked by joiners and students ?

Archived