Facilities are about as good any you will find in the EOS/SOS leagues now, though looking a bit tired... Big grandstand with a directors box and seating on either side, seperated by the tunnel, I don't imagine segregation will be in place for the replay... There is large bar and social club at the back of the stand with toilets and so forth... I haven't been since last autumn but they usually have a fairly decent programme.

canmore_image_dp_02_DP029113.jpg

Hawick20royal20pitch.jpg

I would like to think there'll be a large crowd, with the rugby season not yet having begun (although the inaugural SRU Charity Shield is being played up at Melrose) and the fact the Albert have a great chance of winning their first Scottish Cup tie since 1980.

Facilities are about as good any you will find in the EOS/SOS leagues now, though looking a bit tired... Big grandstand with a directors box and seating on either side, seperated by the tunnel, I don't imagine segregation will be in place for the replay... There is large bar and social club at the back of the stand with toilets and so forth... I haven't been since last autumn but they usually have a fairly decent programme.

canmore_image_dp_02_DP029113.jpg

Hawick20royal20pitch.jpg

I would like to think there'll be a large crowd, with the rugby season not yet having begun (although the inaugural SRU Charity Shield is being played up at Melrose) and the fact the Albert have a great chance of winning their first Scottish Cup tie since 1980.

doesn't look any different to when last played there with NS in 81/2

I don't imagine it is any different, beyond some more layers of paint... as I say it's a substantial ground but showing its age.

A lot of the greyhound fittings have been dismantled over the years. Their floodlights were installed just after you played them, November 1981.

Must say I've a soft spot for Albert Park. When the stand's full for a Gala-Hawick derby or a Friday night match, it's got an old-fashioned charm.

Grandstand roof structure was the top of a mill which burnt down.

Aye- good for the Albert.

Newton Stewart haven't exactly set the heather on fire in the Scottish Cup either. HJ may correct me but before the revamp of the Scottish Cup a few years ago, the last time they qualified for the Scottish was in the 1950s....

Incredibly, yes, Newton Stewart last qualified for the Scottish Cup in 1952-53. During the mid-1950s, and since 2007, they have of course participated due to the fact the cup was/is 'all-in'. Wigtown & Bladnoch were almost as bad, at 1961-62. All the other old South Qualifying Cup clubs had qualified since the mid-1990s.

Incredibly, yes, Newton Stewart last qualified for the Scottish Cup in 1952-53. During the mid-1950s, and since 2007, they have of course participated due to the fact the cup was/is 'all-in'. Wigtown & Bladnoch were almost as bad, at 1961-62. All the other old South Qualifying Cup clubs had qualified since the mid-1990s.

as you will be aware PRE 2007, Newton Stewart last played in the cup in 1956 round 3 after 2 byes or was it because they were holders of the Scottish South Cup ( NS being the only SoS team to win it ) they got automatic 3rd round entry

From 1954-55 to 1956-57 the Scottish Cup was set-up much as it is now, 'all-in'. Everyone entering automatically. There was a South Supplementary Cup (similar idea to the current South Challenge Cup). In 1956-57 only, the previous season's SSC finalists received byes to R3 as a reward.

Newton Stewart last qualified in 1952-53.

From 1954-55 to 1956-57 the Scottish Cup was set-up much as it is now, 'all-in'. Everyone entering automatically. There was a South Supplementary Cup (similar idea to the current South Challenge Cup). In 1956-57 only, the previous season's SSC finalists received byes to R3 as a reward.

Newton Stewart last qualified in 1952-53.

I believe the Scottish South and Supplementary are the same cup which was played for only 3 times NS winning it 55-56 ,in 52-3 NS drew 2-2 at home with then old 1st division Falkirk ,(record 3000 home crowd) before losing the replay the following Wednesday. I didn't know it was all in during the years you mentioned ,Thanks for that. APOLOGIES EAST FANS for posting about a South team on your forum

Aye I suspect they used the same trophy... unlike now when the South Challenge Cup is a copy of the 'replica' clubs used to receive for winning the South Qualifying Cup. There were North and South Supplementary Cups, much like there were North and South Challenge Cups from 2007. Of course the North only lasted 2 seasons, being abolished when HL expanded to 18 clubs in 2009.

Unlike the Challenge Cups, the Supplementary Cups were still only open to SFA members... unlike now when the South Challenge Cup is open to all clubs in the Lowland, EOS and SOS leagues. It must have been played during the spring, I'd imagine - as the early rounds of the 'all-in' cup utilised the autumn. Certainly the Finals - over 2 legs - were always in April. Duns and Eyemouth also won.

My guess would be they added the 'R3 byes' as an incentive for the finalists, as in those days it must have seemed pointless to play in a cup covering that area with nothing tangible at stake. No prizemoney back then, no penalty shoot-outs either, and travelling would take a lot longer than now.

Archived