Queens Park v Arbroath

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smokie pies have been ordered in especially for your visit. Enjoy. Especially good accompanied with a Glasgow salad.

don't be ridiculous, there is much more to Arbroath than Smokies and fishing

I prefer Steak and Black Pudding pies.

Good bakers in Stonehaven sells them if you want to make a massive detour on your way down but unfortunately the west of the country has yet to cotton on to that heaven in a pie case. Similar situation with the mock chop supper and red puddins.

We already get them at the Arbroath home games. They are very popular and seem to sell out quite quickly. When they have them in stock that is. Im sure when your team comes to visit us you can enjoy some.

It may have been more than just wind on their side as Arbroath blow gusts of confidence into their defence.

Put down to the gelling of a new team is probable but significant improvement must be attributed to teamwork in the boardroom between Allan Moore and Todd Lumsden.

As I spoke to Allan, Todd was painstakinly re-working footage from the Berwick Rangers match.

“We work well together. We know from practice with students how to get the best out of players and that’s what we’re trying to do.”

Moore and Lumsden are not only analysing match DVD’s but really getting into the nitty gritty.

They record, chart and analyse run times, fitness sequences and distances.

“We graph it all and put it down into something that we can use throughout the season so we can see how much they’ve played and to manage players peaks and troughs, particularly in fitness.

“I know we’re getting a bit of stick for working them hard but it has paid off. Paul McManus didn’t really feature in pre-season and now he’s been putting the goals in every week.

“He ran Colin Cameron’s defence hard at Shielfield, promising more good things to come.”

Moore’s got some more tricks up his sleeve with Simon Murray still to get some solid time on the pitch and potential new signing from Greenock Morton, Jack Smith adding fresh feet to the frontline.

The encouraging result on Saturday proves the method is working as the Lichties left Gayfield without conceding a goal for the first time this season.

“It’s most pleasing that we didn’t lose a goal,” said Moore. “It’s a definite step in the right direction.

“We’ve always known this team will score goals but it was worrying the amount of goals they let in.

“It’s a major boost, not just for the defence but for the whole team.”

Since taking over the reigns, Moore has made it clear that when it comes to defence it is the whole team who are responsible and the proof is most definitely in the pudding.

Playing away at Queens Park comes with its benefits, not least the distance travelled for many players but also, says the captain ‘a big changing’ area, ideal for setting up a board to re-run tactics for breaking down the 4,3,2,1 formation he’s sure they’ll play.

The Lichties strength also lies in their strikers which will test the mantle of the Rovers defence.”

“I predict a tight match,” Moore finishes but no-one can deny they’ve done their preparation.

^ from yesterday's Herald, looks like Lowdon and Smith might both be signing?

The pies at Airdrie are pretty good.

Looking forward to the game; we were pretty impressive last week, with the new guys shaping up well.

Mine was fucking freezing and I mean freezing.

I thought we didn't play very well but were still very comfortable overall, had a wee scare with the disallowed goal would have to see it again but as soon as the guy scored he looked to the Lino.

Linn ran riot, Nicoll/Zoubhadi comfortable, Whatley superb, Hunter dug in and even though McBride had a bad game he scored and set one up. :lol:

On to the Mo.

We looked solid enough in the first half and had the goal disallowed. Looked like a perfectly good goal to me, but would be foolish to make a concrete judgement without seeing it again. Thought we were awful in the second half, we created absolutely nothing and gave away two very poor goals. The second one was understandable given that we were looking for an equaliser.

McPherson looks like a player who can hold the ball up, but there's very little point in him holding the ball up if there's no other attacking option to lay it off to. The number of crosses and high balls required someone with a bit of height in the final third as well. Personally, I'd bring Wharton in at the back and play Quinno further forward if we're going to go with the aerial route.

It wasn't great viewing today, but it's very, very early days and the team will take time to bed in. Disappointing results and performances are always going to happen during a bedding in period. We'll still comfortably pump Sevco on Tuesday.

Thought the first half was dire but the introduction of Johnstone and Murray changed it for us. As said above McBride scored 1 and set up the other despite not having a particularly good game. As to the disallowed Queens goal the lino had his flag up as soon as the ball was played in. If we are to challenge for promotion winning games like this are essential. BTW back to back clean sheets. When did that last happen for us?

Archived