A very important fixture for both of the teams even this early in the season. Cowden played some good stuff in our first home game against Falkirk and we are hard to beat at home. Alloa will be desperate to get some points on the board and will fancy taking something from another part-time team.

It is likely to be a three way battle between Cowden, Alloa and Dumbarton for survival at the bottom of the table as none of the full-time clubs are likely to do a 'Morton ' this season. If we can recreate some of the good passing play we saw in our first home fixture then I feel we can win this one. We certainly need to take as many points as we can from our home games.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge game for both, so early in the season. 3 points would take a wee but of pressure off for the following weeks visit from Raith.

We failed to beat Alloa at CP last season and this almost cost us.

Was encouraged by Falkirk performance so hopefully more of the same

Important we get something out of this game with having Hibs as our next league game following this which will be a tough game but a win and a few goals might lift our confidence a little bit.

McDowell

Doyle
Marr
Gordon
Meggatt

Cawley
Simmons
McCord
Holmes

Spence
Buchanan

Must win for Alloa so early.

This depends on how we play on the day, if we play like we did against Queens I can see us winning this although if we play like we did against Raith then we are doomed for a very long season. I don't know why Barry Smith has kept Gibson in goals the guys a clown I could probably play a better game than the guy

If Alloa score early it could be one of the worst games in the history of football. Time wasting from the off.

I hope to god we take the game to them. Both sets of fans will be equally as confident and will regard the other as pish. Makes it all the more intriguing.

Edit: also. Do you really start with Spence and Buchs up top? Surely they are very similar or have they done okay despite your league results? Genuinely interested.

If Alloa score early it could be one of the worst games in the history of football. Time wasting from the off.

I hope to god we take the game to them. Both sets of fans will be equally as confident and will regard the other as pish. Makes it all the more intriguing.

Edit: also. Do you really start with Spence and Buchs up top? Surely they are very similar or have they done okay despite your league results? Genuinely interested.

Alloa will be time wasting from the kick-off. They aren't anywhere near as good as they were this time last season. Not that we are much better.

Was really impressed with them when they came to CP for the first game last season. Not the second time.

They've done pretty well up front together Spence has been scoring well during pre season and Buchanan had 2 chances against Raith where he really should have buried at least one of them so was a bit disappointed with that but we've been creating chances against teams we just need to start putting them in the net and cancelling out the mistakes.

Must win for Alloa so early.

I don't know why Barry Smith has kept Gibson in goals the guys a clown I could probably play a better game than the guy

Old pals act

The second CP fixture between the sides last season had Smith in charge with Hartley's squad and we were on a poor run. I thought the game was actually quite entertaining, we took the lead twice during the match and both teams had good chances to win the game near the end. Negative tactics, time wasting, etc doesn't wash with me for that game. I think Cowden fans were just more upset about it because their team needed a win more than Alloa did and didn't manage to get it.

Anyway, Alloa will attack Cowden this Saturday and if we do manage to go 1-0 up then we'll try for 2-0,etc. Spence and Buchanan have both been playing from the start and Holmes and Cawley have been very creative behind them. I'm expecting both teams to make a few chances this Saturday.

On the GK debate, I hope Smith sticks with his decision to make Gibson our number 1 and keeps him in the team. Changing the keeper constantly will eventually lead to both of them losing confidence whenever they have a poor game or don't keep a clean sheet and they'll worry pre-match about performances in the hope of staying in the team. Our defence will get used to him and we don't want to unsettle the defence by chopping and changing keepers all the time.

Dumbarton supporters were the same with Ewings and Grindlay last season and I think Cowden had the same problem for a while with indecision about who was going to be in goals game-to-game.

You could even argue that Doyle was to blame for both opening goals against in the league games this season, although Gibson perhaps partly to blame last week.

Prediction: Cowdenbeath 1 - 2 Alloa Athletic

Negative tactics, time wasting, etc doesn't wash with me for that game. I think Cowden fans were just more upset about it because their team needed a win more than Alloa did and didn't manage to get it.

Dumbarton supporters were the same with Ewings and Grindlay last season and I think Cowden had the same problem for a while with indecision about who was going to be in goals game-to-game.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen though and i expect more of the same on Saturday as Alloa will be far happier with a draw than we would with us being at home.

We did have that problem with changing keepers every other game and it showed in the performances with both of them terrified of making a decision in case it was the wrong one and they'd get dropped for it.

Archived