Queens V Livingston II: Leaders V Livi

He was pretty anonymous. It was my first viewing of him in a QoS jersey, so I haven't formed an opinion yet. It would be harsh to have a pop at him today though, he wasn't on for long before Reilly had to be sacrificed and he received very little service as the lone striker. When he did get it, more often that not his only outlet was Russell as Kidd was getting up quick enough.

I imagine it'll be Lyle and Reilly up top again in the next game but I imagine Baird will come good with more game time.

As you say, he got precious little service. He did, though, set Kidd up for his effort that brought a fantastic save from Jamieson. His touch was superb and then played an intelligent pass inside to Kidd.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him start on Tuesday in place of Lyle.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought baird would do more, he has a nice touch but seemed slightly off the boil. Reminded slightly of an ex player when he started with us.

It was difficult for Baird coming on when down to 10 men. Livingston made the extra man count more and Baird was very isolated up front on his own. I think by this stage it was a point is better than trying to sneak all 3

My mate said to me with 15 minutes left he would take 1-1, and that's what we got, so a draw was probably about right. Livi were nowhere in the first half, but the changes they made worked - that's what managers are for. That said, they were having their first decent spell of the game, I thought if we could have survived a bit longer we would have come back into it, maybe with substitutions of our own.

From the East Stand, I hadn't a clue if it was a penalty or not, though I wondered why it was only a yellow card for Clark?! And Fowler's looked a 'stick-on' red.

Although that was a cracker of a shot by Kidd and a cracker of a save as well.

I wouldn't have taken off Danny, he had turned the Livi guys that often they must have been delighted to see the back of him.

Any 'anoraks' out there who counted the number of fouls on Russell? I couldn't work out if it was a deliberate attempt to wind him up (which failed), or whether it just reflected the fact that he was taking players on the whole time. I thought Russell played well, but the final ball just eluded him. Bit like Danny, they might have had a better reward in other games.

I would expect changes on Tuesday, I would imagine Dzierwoski and Baird will get game time, and maybe Kidd as well.

A decent point in the circumstances. We should have been at least two clear at half time and Livy missed a few in the second. We are unfortunate to have as many missing and the rest of the squad are doing well in their absence. Mitchell is a miss but let's not take away anything from Dowie . The centre half is showing his versatility in filling in for Chris and doing a fine job.

Any 'anoraks' out there who counted the number of fouls on Russell?

I'd be more interested in the amount of them that should have been given with the way he was diving about most of the game, he's not changed much since he was with us going by yesterday.

Would have taken a point before the game so happy we got one, although we had plenty chances in the second half to steal the win. Queens probably could have been about 2-0 up at half time and I was expecting them to come out and get a couple in the second half, but like the other league games this season we've waited until the second half to start having a go. Hippolyte had a good few runs but without much coming from them, Mullen and Glen both done well when they came on though.

Dumbarton next week and they've not started well so hopefully take 3 points off them if we play like we have in our second halves.

I'd be more interested in the amount of them that should have been given with the way he was diving about most of the game, he's not changed much since he was with us going by yesterday.

Would have taken a point before the game so happy we got one, although we had plenty chances in the second half to steal the win. Queens probably could have been about 2-0 up at half time and I was expecting them to come out and get a couple in the second half, but like the other league games this season we've waited until the second half to start having a go. Hippolyte had a good few runs but without much coming from them, Mullen and Glen both done well when they came on though.

Dumbarton next week and they've not started well so hopefully take 3 points off them if we play like we have in our second halves.

I really hope you see the irony in this post

You have to hand it to Beany. He goes down so well. I notice he added a wee scream a few times when he was playing on the side the Livi fans were sitting. It all helps. Decent referees usually latch on to him midway through the second half but he got a free kick every time he went down yesterday. Some were genuine but most were just his usual antics. I wish we had kept him. Diving apart, he works his socks off for 90 minutes.

I can recall one soft free kick/potential dive that Russell had. Other than that I can't recall him conning the ref. Tbh had Burton O'Brien double footed Russell through the kneecaps I think certain sections of the Livi support when accuse him of diving! Even when he was being blatantly fouled they were calling him a diver.

Russell does take his fair share of kicks during a game, but he also spends a fair amount of time on the deck after falling to ground too easily. Would rather have him in my team, than playing against me mind you.

Iain Russell will always be held in high regard by the Livi support. He's pulled us out of the myre so many times; always turning up with the right attitude and getting on with the job.

He's won more than a couple of soft penalties or strategic free kicks for us but likewise I suspect that his reputation has led to a few being not awarded. Most Livi support would have him back in a heartbeat; a great player and a really nice guy who always seemed to have time for the support.

He does go down quite easily some times but other times remains on his feet when it would be easier to go down.

I often think he tries a lot harder to stay on his feet with us and Morton (which I like to think is out of respect to his former clubs) than he does with the likes of Dumbarton where the support often try and get on his back and really has a counter effect.

Russell does take his fair share of kicks during a game, but he also spends a fair amount of time on the deck after falling to ground too easily. Would rather have him in my team, than playing against me mind you.

I think thats pretty fair. The point, though, is that he is far from the only one in this league.

Yes, because no Livingston player went down easily looking for a foul yesterday

Every team has players that will go down easily. Russell seems to do it more often than others though, that may be down to the fact he is a good player and will have the ball more, but there were a few times on Saturday when he went down when he didn't really have to.

Don't get me wrong I'd have him back in a heartbeat, he was a brilliant player for us. One thing I hate is seeing players dive though, even if it's a Livi player.

Okay; Russell may go down easily at times but one thing I've never seen him do is rolling about on the floor trying to get an opposition player sent off.

Unfortunately there are a few in the championship this year that will try that.

Im even less convinced thats a yellow card for Fowler. Clearly no intent to foul Jacobs and both Holt and McShane are moving into the area Jacobs was running too, so no real break-away either. The ref was incredibly keen to get his cards out though <_<

Yes, a bit less clear cut than I'd thought at the time. He does catch him and it's a foul. Perhaps the booking as a result is a little harsh, but it's what tends to happen in such circumstances these days. The penalty still looks like the right decision to me. The attacker certainly gets there first and it does look like the 'keeper flattens him, although someone gets in the way of the view a bit.

I'd have liked to have seen the disallowed Reilly header from early on, again. At the time I wasn't particularly worried about a flag because he seemed surrounded by players, but the ball had hung in the air for a while, perhaps enabling him the retreat from an offside position. I'll admit though that I wasn't paying much attention as there seemed little threat. When the 'goal' arrived it seemed to surprise everyone. It's a pity it's not in the otherwise excellent highlights.

Archived