Inverness CT vs Celtic - 23/08/14

See if Celtic are beat on Tuesday, will we still hear about what a good decision it was for Deila to rest his team? He's put the pressure on Celtic to deliver now.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See if Celtic are beat on Tuesday, will we still hear about what a good decision it was for Deila to rest his team? He's put the pressure on Celtic to deliver now.

If we get beat on Tuesday it will have nothing to do with us resting players against ICT

Even with the understrength team Celtic played well enough in the first half to win the match but we didn't.

Good Luck to John Hughes great guy & very decent manager who should still be Hibs manager but they sack too many managers and look where that got them.

You have to give credit to inverness the record they have against celtic over the years given the huge gulf in budget between the sides is incredible.Hopefully the accies can get something at parkhead this season cant remember us taking anything away against them.

I think a lot of people believe our record v Celtic to be better than it actually is. We played Celtic 37 times and only won 6 games.

Hearts put out an under strength 11 v Livi during the week as the championship takes priority and rightly so. Celtic can afford to lose to Caley if it means CL qualification.

Don't see what the issue is. Desperate diddies looking to bash Celtic when their own club would do the same in similar circumstances.

Hearts put out an under strength 11 v Livi during the week as the championship takes priority and rightly so. Celtic can afford to lose to Caley if it means CL qualification.

Don't see what the issue is. Desperate diddies looking to bash Celtic when their own club would do the same in similar circumstances.

Had the two shots that hit the woodwork gone in, there would be little or no post match discussion on this match and more about who's playing on Tuesday night. I remember a couple of seasons ago Celtic fielded a weakened side against us in similar circumstances and won.

Most other clubs in the league would not be able to rest a whole team and put a European game first before the league. Most teams squads are thin especially at this time of the season and most teams could not afford to rest regular starters for a league game to focus on European competition. It also comes down to priorities as well and only Celtic with no competition for the league title and the strength in depth of that squad have the luxury to spread their ambitions between domestic and European competition.

Had the two shots that hit the woodwork gone in, there would be little or no post match discussion on this match and more about who's playing on Tuesday night. I remember a couple of seasons ago Celtic fielded a weakened side against us in similar circumstances and won.

Most other clubs in the league would not be able to rest a whole team and put a European game first before the league. Most teams squads are thin especially at this time of the season and most teams could not afford to rest regular starters for a league game to focus on European competition. It also comes down to priorities as well and only Celtic with no competition for the league title and the strength in depth of that squad have the luxury to spread their ambitions between domestic and European competition.

Good post. Celtic do have the luxury of rotating their squad and will rightly use it for their own gain. Don't see how it can be perceived as Ronnie disrespecting the Scottish league , he only did any other manager would do to give us a greater chance of CL progress.

If for example Barca were in our group , had already finished top but had a El Classico to play after their game against us and dropped several players I wouldn't have an issue with it(lol).

Aye, that will be it. A 3 hour drive up the A9 is mental, you couldnt expect highly paid footballers to sit on a bus for a few hours then be match ready. :rolleyes:

The Celtic team usually stays overnight at the Kingsmills Hotel before a match up here or in Dingwall. I doubt they would have traveled up the same morning as the match.

Resting that many players was most likely due to being in Slovenia on Wednesday then up to Inverness for a Saturday morning kick off.

Why?

We played in Slovakia on the Thursday, and then Dingwall on the Sunday, with pretty much the same 11, and got results in both games

Yes but we also play our biggest game of the season on Tuesday.

Yup, biggest money match of this season.

Congratulations to ICT, You have got to play what's in front of you , hopefully our manager will have learnt what some players are capable of, or more importantly are not capable of, given the result

I was not overly pissed with the result, but I did want to win :(

anyhoo nice day out

I'm really hoping it isn't just like every year where we get off to a good/decent start and then drop, our next fixtures are

Sat 30 15:00 H Kilmarnock League

September 2014

Sat 13 15:00 A Partick Thistle League

Sat 20 15:00 H St. Johnstone League

Sat 27 15:00 A Aberdeen League

With the cup game vs Rangers/QP probably in there midweek. Realistically we can take 12 points from that, but we have a habit of being shite after international breaks, and Partick always get us at our worst times, coupled with the fact they are looking pretty strong, I think they could take a point against us or maybe even 3. We only took 4/9 points against them last season. St Johnstone and Aberdeen are also games I'm unsure about St Johnstone hammered us at about the same time last season, and Aberdeen were the first team to beat us last year. But all in all I think 12 points is realistic.

Sat 27 15:00 A Aberdeen League

Must admit, I expected a weakened line-up, but not by that much. However, the importance of the Maribor game can't be overestimated. Possibly an element of experimentation from RD as well. It wasn't as if Celtic were hammered by ICT - it was a fairly even game overall, but because ICT finished the stronger side, it's natural to assume they were better. So, RD put out a team that was capable of getting a result, but didn't quite.

First half, I thought Celtic were largely in control, but sat deep mostly to protect the back four. ICT a bit too open, and they were picked off a few times. Second half, ICT closed up much better, and they sat deep instead. Celtic's back four were more exposed, and it not unreasonable to expect them to give something away. Actually, on 55mins, I said to fellow Hoops fan in the bar that this now had 1-0 to ICT written all over it.

Certainly it looks like a few players on show will not be at the club in a couple of weeks. It makes a difference to the commitment levels. If McGeough does go to Killie, then he'll actually do well there. He's not short of skill, just quick enough or strong enough to play for Celtic. A player like him needs regular game time to build up his confidence. I do think Henderson has a future though, but might benefit from being loaned out, just as McGregor was. A few of us felt that Commons was sulking. Bitton is a player, but is another who needs game time to get his confidence up.

Must admit, I had doubts about Hughes doing well at ICT after his time with the Hibs booze merchants, but he won a good tactical victory here and earned the result. Pleased for the big man as his teams always play decent football.

I know it's bad attitude but it's the truth. First of all Inverness were the better team, they deserved the win. If you were to offer 10 Celtic fans a very good chance of reaching the CL group stage or a win today, nearly every time all 10 would take the CL chance instead of a win today.

For us Celtic fans, the SPL is pointless. We might have a scare at some points but we'll still win the league by 10 points. As much as I dislike them Rangers were good for us. From Scottish footballs view Rangers going busy was great and brilliant, but for us it was bad news. Our attendances have dropped and we don't buy quality players anymore. Scottish football has improved since Rangers died but Celtic have got worse. The country's game is more competitive for the all teams apart from us.

Unless teams like Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Motherwell get investment they won't challenge us. They're competitive enough but they can't compete financially. Plus the fact if we make the CL group stages we get £15 million, with only a measly amount of that distributed among the other clubs. There's a chance Rangers might challenge us when they return, but it'll take them at least 7 years to reach our level.

Unless we get weaker, other teams get stronger or we sign a manger similar to Mowbray (which Deila could turn out to be) we'll win the league by 15+ points. It's a shite attitude but there's not really another option.

Take it thats your season over then

Take it thats your season over then

Celtic will have plenty to play for in the league. I can't see them catching us any time soon.

I can't see us tying it up by Chrimbo Denny, Easter aye but I think you are under estimating your team if you are thinking Christmas.

Archived