St Johnstone vs Aberdeen - 23/08/14

Did Goodwillie actually play RD?? Never saw him. :thumsup2

*RG

And yeah, he was the player Scobbie absolutely crunched, he was also the player who managed to nutmeg himself desperately trying to control a simple ball :lol:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were excellent. Full of energy, commitment and drive from midfield, which was exactly what Aberdeen lacked. I'll start from the back, superb, although Dave Mackay still isn't the same player. I'll even admit Scobbie played well, although he was lucky not to have been sent off for a second yellow, just before we scored, but I'll get to Thompson later. Easton if he had taken a bit off his passing today could have had 2 or 3 killer passes, it was incredible the space he got at times.

Brown was great in midfield, he does the simple things so well. McDonald was brilliant today, many will moan he didn't get on the ball enough, but he was industrious and near enough neutralised the metronome of Flood. He was great too. Millar was by far and away the best player on the pitch, crunching into tackles, driving forward, turning in tight spaces, shame he cannae shoot.

The two wingers were good too, Croft was going great guns first half, dropped out in the second though, Considine couldn't handle him and how we didn't get several fouls for him trying to steal Crofts shirt was bizarre. Spoony was the opposite, he was better second half, we always works hard and offers a threat, he should have hit the target early on and his willingness to shoot is gonna be key, he'll hit the net eventually and then I've no doubt goals will flow.

Now Mr Maclean. What a guy, ran his heart out, missed a sitter, whilst he technically did the right thing, he's got to score that. I said to my dad he'd do his damnedest to make amends and he did. Great sweeping finish and it showed in his celebration how much it meant to him to score after the miss. Fucking idiotic booking.

Aberdeen were poor, although Russell Anderson is still some player, his reading of the game is second to none. But what's happened to McGinn?, he's awful now. Hayes was poor and same old Pawlett throwing himself down constantly. Rooney was so isolated at times too. Still I'm not gonna talk about them, cause I don't actually care that much.

Now Mr Craig Thompson. Not a difficult game to referee and for the most part he did ok, but it's his inconsistency and I reckon he made 2 wrong calls. Firstly I've mentioned Scobbie was very lucky not to get a second yellow, indeed not even to give a foul. Secondly I reckon we should have had a penalty, not the first shout, but the second, it was certainly an unnatural position and it was heading towards goal for sure.

But still we won, what a difference a week makes and if we add a striker I'll be a whole lot more confidant. Ohh and Lappin looked good, maybe a bit off the pace, but to be expected. He's got a great left peg for sure and some of his passing was great late on, accurate and weighted perfectly.

Poor one. Sore one. Dons seem pretty predictable just now. Saints are a really solid outfit so if you're a one dimensional side you'll struggle against that.

Deek needs to throw opponents a few curve balls and mix it up a bit. Saints would've sussed us, Tommy Wright seems a smart lad.

Early in the season though. We'll go on a wee run soon

On a sidenote, it was nice to see us play a different system today, with Brown holding with McDonald and Millar just ahead of him, instead of two deeper ones and one advanced. Shows TW is confident enough to switch and also shows we've got players who can adapt to this.

Really good performance and a good result. Started well and obviously missed a couple of absolute sitters. Aberdeen really only had two real periods of pressure at the end of either half otherwise it was all in front of the saints back line and easy to defend. Lucky to survive when Croft switched off to allow considine to hit the bar though.

Thought got the balance right today, but it's a lot easier when the midfield three play like that. Brown sitting and the other two pressuring really well. Lappin looks a good option too.

All in all a good day.

Secondly I reckon we should have had a penalty, not the first shout, but the second, it was certainly an unnatural position and it was heading towards goal for sure.

Possibly but I think he was far too close to realistically expect to get it.

Fair play to Saints, the better team won today, no question.

I would go on a rant but it'd be the exact same as the one against United two weeks back.

McInnes got it wrong today and certain players are underperforming but will never get hooked or dropped because they are senior players.

Simply not good enough in front of another impressive away support.

Fair play to Saints, the better team won today, no question.

I would go on a rant but it'd be the exact same as the one against United two weeks back.

McInnes got it wrong today and certain players are underperforming but will never get hooked or dropped because they are senior players.

Simply not good enough in front of another impressive away support.

We did try to explain about Derek and his favourites. To be fair, lots of managers have them and play them regardless.

Thought McInnes called it absolutely right when he described Aberdeen as indulgent in his comments following the match. About 15 minutes in, I said Aberdeen were having a lot of the ball but going nowhere with it and not moving it with any tempo, it was very easy to defend against. Having the three in the middle of the park for us stopped Aberdeen ever looking particularly dangerous, again highlighting IMO that it's the best system for us. Thought Hayes was alright for Aberdeen, Pawlett at least looked lively on the rare occasions he got the ball but McGinn was anonymous. Noticed someone else has said it but what's happened to him? He scored a great goal against us last season but generally hasn't looked the same player he was under Craig Brown in a more advanced role.

Could find praise for all our players and think Tommy Wright is correct in his assessment about our season going pretty well apart from two horrific 45 minutes, at Hamilton last week and most frustratingly, at home to Spartak Trnava. Fir Park next week isn't a happy hunting ground for us (been a few massacres there in truth) but retain the short of shape and discipline we had yesterday and we'll give ourselves a chance. The pace of Ainsworth and Ojamaa has hurt us in the past.

McGinn has been dreadful all last season and although he started okay this season he's quickly gone back to looking suicidal. I don't know if it's because he's in the huff at not playing up front but it's doing my head in. He needs dropped but it seems it's not going to happen.

Left back is still a problem area for us and Robson should never play wide. Ever. I still expect us to be battling for second place but we seem to be resting on our laurels a bit and need a bit of a freshen up.

That sounds familiar.

Yeah McInnes is just repeating the same mistakes as he did with us. Tepid, predictable football with undroppable players and an insistence on signing strikers who don't improve anything while ignoring gaping holes in the squad.

Having watched the highlights, the two penalty shouts the show are pretty weak tbf. The Mackay one in the first half is a nothing shout, you don't see the first handball but you see the second. Its heading on target and hits an outstretched hand, Considine isn't even looking at the ball though, and actually has his back to play (pretty amateur defending tbh) so it would've been pretty harsh. One of those that'll be debating either way, but not a penalty to me.

As for McGinn he simply doesn't suit the style of play Aberdeen play, he needs space to run into and to get an isolated defender to try and beat, Aberdeens slow build up completely negates that. He'll probably have his best games against Celtic who'll open up against you and allow him that space in the final third

Yeah McInnes is just repeating the same mistakes as he did with us. Tepid, predictable football with undroppable players and an insistence on signing strikers who don't improve anything while ignoring gaping holes in the squad.

Having watched the highlights, the two penalty shouts the show are pretty weak tbf. The Mackay one in the first half is a nothing shout, you don't see the first handball but you see the second. Its heading on target and hits an outstretched hand, Considine isn't even looking at the ball though, and actually has his back to play (pretty amateur defending tbh) so it would've been pretty harsh. One of those that'll be debating either way, but not a penalty to me.

As for McGinn he simply doesn't suit the style of play Aberdeen play, he needs space to run into and to get an isolated defender to try and beat, Aberdeens slow build up completely negates that. He'll probably have his best games against Celtic who'll open up against you and allow him that space in the final third

I think McInnes is a good manager and he will leave Aberdeen in a good state and the following manager will have an easier job,just like with us, but I'd be surprised if he was there at the end of next season.

Archived