Rangers v Scotlands Original Champions

The Sons of William versus the Sons of the Rock.

Which end will Thommo1690 and the boy Mackie sit in? Hang on, I think I can guess. Actually, they could be the same person...

Looking forward to the day out, but not particularly confident of a result for us. Were we playing like we did last season then I'd be more assured going into this one as last time out it always felt like we could have a go at anyone we came up against, which meant sometimes we gave out spankings and other times we got spanked (a Benny Hill season if you will), but it was never boring.

Echo SSO08's point from the first post about team selection and tactics. Murray made some pretty strong statements to the Dumbarton Terrace in the aftermath of the Queens game, so hopefully he has seen enough over the early few games of this season to recognise what he has been doing wrong.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were Ian Murray I’d be thinking long and hard about selecting Danny Rogers for Saturday’s game. Confidence is a big part of a goalkeeper’s armoury and Rogers must surely be suffering in that regard after seven goals in two games. This is as much for Rogers’ sake as the team’s.

I think any sort of result for us is unlikely at Ibrox but even less so if our goalscoring hopes are invested in Nish once again.

Reading Andy Galloway’s book reminded me of several things.

Despite our good showing last season we have had our fair share of drubbings in this league. I was also reminded of how many vital goals Fleming and Prunty provided when given a start and not just brought on when the game’s lost.

And how few Nish has scored for us.

I think that Grindlay, Fleming, Campbell and Gilhaney should start on Saturday.

If I were Ian Murray I’d be thinking long and hard about selecting Danny Rogers for Saturday’s game. Confidence is a big part of a goalkeeper’s armoury and Rogers must surely be suffering in that regard after seven goals in two games. This is as much for Rogers’ sake as the team’s.

I think any sort of result for us is unlikely at Ibrox but even less so if our goalscoring hopes are invested in Nish once again.

Reading Andy Galloway’s book reminded me of several things.

Despite our good showing last season we have had our fair share of drubbings in this league. I was also reminded of how many vital goals Fleming and Prunty provided when given a start and not just brought on when the game’s lost.

And how few Nish has scored for us.

I think that Grindlay, Fleming, Campbell and Gilhaney should start on Saturday.

I have it that Colin, Garry and Bryan all scored the same amount of goals last season. Doesn't appear to be much between them

Am no goin.

You could always get in about Big Jig. Do us a favour and put him out with a minor injury for a few weeks as there is no chance McCoist will ever drop him!

I'm not making any argument, just observing. I've said elsewhere that I'd go with Fleming and Campbell on Saturday.

Yes but it's not comparing apples with apples, given the starts that Nish had as opposed to the other two. Not fair to compare when Fleming and Prunty only seem to be introduced when we're struggling.

Not terribly optimistic about this in all honesty. I thought Nish came in for more stick than was warranted after the Raith game but there's no defending his performance from Saturday and he should be dropped - he obviously wont be but the point still stands.

We simply MUST offer the fullbacks more protection than we have so far, otherwise Lee Wallace will have the run of our right side and that rapid boy with the huge sneb likewise on the opposite wing. I'd like both Gils and Megginson to start this one and if that means 1 up front to shore up the centre of the park then so be it. I haven't been impressed by either of Rangers performances so far and had we been in better form I'd fancy taking something from this but as it is it's difficult to see past a home win.

Although Nish has been pish so far rangers may struggle against him, that big long haired dumpling at the back will struggle against any high balls him and Nish contest, he doesn't look as though he enjoys a battle and that may be our best form of attack, agreed that our full backs need protection because Wallace will tear van zanten a new one otherwise, fingers crossed the players raise their game for the occasion and to make up for the last 2 weeks performances!

Archived