Dunfermline v Airdrie (Relegation Dogfight)

Started this thread quite early because I read some of the comments from pars fans worrying about facing us on Saturday because we are their 'bogey' team.

Pars fans need not worry. Our keeper and defence must be the worst in this league by a long shot and I've been saying since the start of the season we have no goal scoring threat. We've played some ok passing football but have nothing in the final third and don't have a striker who we can turn to when we need a goal. Lister looks a little off the mark so far this season and the service to him has been terrible which can only be made worse with Parkers red as although he hasn't done much this season he has the ability to play good passes. I think Bollan should play young John Boyle as he runs about daft for 90 minutes and can cause some bother.

Unfortunately this game will come at a bad time for us because with the pars having had two poor results so far this season they will surely come out with a point to prove at home and I'm sure JJ will have made his feelings on the last two results clear to the players in his typical dummies out the pram way.

I do enjoy winning at EEP (especially since the pars fans developed a self-entitled old firm mentality) but unfortunately I really can't see it this time around.

I know two things going into this game

1) We won't score.

2) We will concede at least one.

Prediction:

3-0 home win.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must win. Jefferies is slowly making a case for me removing him as my profile picture, now surely he doesn't want that! Pars 2-0 (I HOPE).

In desperate need for some bloody width in this team. Teams seem to be just sitting back behind the ball, we can't find a way through them. Our opposition senses the frustration and takes advantage every time. I'm interested to see how Jefferies will approach in dealing with this (if he does...)

0-1 away win, perfect. Thanks for the support Shandon it's appreciated. Who do you think will get the goal? Lister? :thumsup2

Playing at East End is a shop window for Airdrie players - Buchanan, Cardle, McDougall. Put in a good performance and a player will be on Jefferies' letter to Santa.

Both teams will be coming in to this one looking to kick start their season. Certainly, in terms of Dunfermline, it is an early season "must win game", and I think we can win if we can keep the tempo high. I hope Andrew Stirling is fit enough to start this game, imo, we'd improve considerably with him in our team. Gregor Buchanan and Ryan Wallace back from injury would be nice too!

Without seeing any team news, my provisional 18 would be:

Scully

Williamson

Buchanan

Martin

Whittle

Geggan

Spence

Falkingham

Stirling

Ugwu

Moffat

Subs:

Goodfellow

Millen

Page

Thomson

Forbes

Faissal

Wallace

Always seem to dig a victory out from nowhere at EEP so who knows what'll happen in this game.

My airdrie team would be:

McNeil

O'Neill Proctor Wilson P.Boyle

Gray Watt Fitzpatrick Bain

Lister J.Boyle

Biggest blessing is Parker being suspended IMO. Sold the jersey last weekend and hasn't looked up to much in any game he's played this season. Stewart needs to be dropped and Fitzpatrick showed his ability to pass and run with the ball last weekend so should be an adept replacement for him in CM with Wilson filling in at CB.

Lister caused us lots of problems in the last game at Airdrie. I actually think most of it was fouling and the ref was terrible that day but our defenders are far too naive for this type of forward.

Glad Parker is out.

We've seen Airdrie and East Fife win at East End in recent times on the back of horrendous form and I don't think it's a fluke. The pressure is off in terms of having to be creative so the manager can just organise the team into a solid defensive unit. They know we'll press high up, leaving defenders exposed at the back and they know we will inevitably give someone a free header at some point. The post saved us from defeat against Brechin - we had long spells of possession but did little to get through their two banks of 4/5 defenders.

Maybe the ref will give us a dodgy penalty or sending off to help kickstart things. Sorry to be so negative but we're badly lacking a bit of spark. Any manager in the league given our squad to work with would expect to blitz the league - hopefully JJ and the boys can finally shake off the lethargy on Saturday. Oh, and working out how to supply the ball to The Moff might help when it comes to kickstarting things - the service to him from the fullbacks at Brechin was atrocious (though I'm glad to hear Millen stuck in a few crosses against Forfar).

I don't think the game tonight helps much either. To get anything from Falkirk will require a huge effort and every chance of a few more knocks and strains - JJ has to earn his crust this week.

Archived