Yet another "briefed" politician sticks his oar in...

Confidemus

Is someone actually trying to defend Abbott's comments? If so, have they actually read them and do they know Abbott's history?

The best thing the No campaigners can do is just sidestep this embarrassing endorsement.

which is pretty much what has happened

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is someone actually trying to defend Abbott's comments? If so, have they actually read them and do they know Abbott's history?

The best thing the No campaigners can do is just sidestep this embarrassing endorsement.

I am not aware of anyone in the no campaign promoting these comments.

which is pretty much what has happened

Well apart from Jim Murphy complimenting Abbott for his "famously outspoken and famously direct" approach to politics. That doesn't sound like sidestepping them.

I am not aware of anyone in the no campaign promoting these comments.

The comment was referencing a poster on this thread.

I don't have a problem with high-profile politicians from elsewhere making comments.

Abbott himself is not from elsewhere, although I appreciate you mean he is currently representing a non domestic office. In fact Abbott is an Englishman, and a staunch Royalist and Unionist to boot. The very fact that he comes out with this sort of guff is not surprising in the least, quite the opposite, rather the most surprising thing about the man is that he holds an MA in politics from Oxford. Considering the naive and down right childish attitudes he takes to political debate one can only presume that everything he learned was forgotten the minute he left the quad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28814936

Amongst his "not for a moment do I presume to tell Scottish voters which way they should vote, but..." chat we get Australian PM Tony Abbott coming out with these little gems:

"hard to see how the world would be helped by an independent Scotland"

Those who would like to see the UK break up were "not the friends of justice... [or] freedom"

"But as a friend of Britain, as an observer from afar, it's hard to see how the world would be helped by an independent Scotland.

"I think that the people who would like to see the break-up of the United Kingdom are not the friends of justice, the friends of freedom, and the countries that would cheer at the prospect... are not the countries whose company one would like to keep."

You can almost hear Westminster whispering in his ear. Clearly briefed by them, these are some of the most idiotic comments yet.

Who is this Westminster?

Slightly different in that Australia was colonised, Scotland was not. Scotland joined with England to build the UK.

Depends on interpretation. Scotland "joined", following the failure of a private venture & private individuals losing personal fortunes. Result, non-democratic enslavement of a population.

In Australia's case, you had "colonisation", where land was misappropriated from the indigenous people because they 'couldn't prove ownership'. Result, non-democratic enslavement of a population.

I take it Mr Abbot is willing to entrust the future of 'their land' to the Aboriginal people & cancel Australia Day?

I don't have a problem with high-profile politicians from elsewhere making comments. Abbott's comments are pretty embarrassing though and I imagine the no campaign will be distancing themselves from an odious figure like Abbott.

There's not a fag paper's width between Abbott's politics and that of the Westminster government.

Archived