Yet another "briefed" politician sticks his oar in...

Confidemus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28814936

Amongst his "not for a moment do I presume to tell Scottish voters which way they should vote, but..." chat we get Australian PM Tony Abbott coming out with these little gems:

"hard to see how the world would be helped by an independent Scotland"

Those who would like to see the UK break up were "not the friends of justice... [or] freedom"

"But as a friend of Britain, as an observer from afar, it's hard to see how the world would be helped by an independent Scotland.

"I think that the people who would like to see the break-up of the United Kingdom are not the friends of justice, the friends of freedom, and the countries that would cheer at the prospect... are not the countries whose company one would like to keep."

You can almost hear Westminster whispering in his ear. Clearly briefed by them, these are some of the most idiotic comments yet.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's a complete and utter twat. Australia's very own version of George W Bush. His treasurer made a great comment the other day about poor people not owning or using cars so they wouldn't be affected by a new tax they are wanting to implement

It's no surprise that some are trying to defend his words and intervention on here.

Every intervention and every scare story just drives more and more people to YES, some are going to get a rude awakening on the 18th, I can even see us moving further to the left than I want because of all this shite.

He's a complete and utter twat. Australia's very own version of George W Bush. His treasurer made a great comment the other day about poor people not owning or using cars so they wouldn't be affected by a new tax they are wanting to implement

Aye, this. This is not because of views on independence, because they are no more or no less relevant than anyone else's. It's because of this views on pretty much everything else.

Abbott is also well known for saying one thing, then changing his mind and saying something else the next week. He is a misogynist, a liar, a racist and a hypocrite. When someone said he was the Australian GW Bush, I would say that unlike Bush when he get's stuck in a corner Abbott just looks like a rabbit in the headlights unable to defend his position, while Bush at least tried to reason his way out (and trust me, I find it bizarre "defending" Bush).

There is a classic interview with him where when asked about comments he made about the death of an Australian soldier in Afghanistan where he refuses to answer and just looks blankly towards camera.

Archived