Selling A Car

Mitch

I'm potentially looking for a quick sale of my car. It's 61 plate Astra SRI with about 28,000 miles on the clock.

Now I know very little about cars and I've never sold a car, only ever traded in against my next purchase.

I'm looking for the most hassle free way of getting rid of it, even though I may not get the best price (don't want ripped off either though!).

Best way to go about it?

Guest The Phoenix

I'm potentially looking for a quick sale of my car. It's 61 plate Astra SRI with about 28,000 miles on the clock.

Now I know very little about cars and I've never sold a car, only ever traded in against my next purchase.

I'm looking for the most hassle free way of getting rid of it, even though I may not get the best price (don't want ripped off either though!).

Best way to go about it?

torched-car.jpg

Best way to go about it?

Find out your asking price by surfing autotrader, gumtree, ebay etc. Get the average price then ask for slightly less if you can afford to take the hit - obviously a cheaper car will sell quicker.

Stick it on gumtree as they don't charge and is just as popular as the other two for car buyers.

If you're not prepared to go lower still, put 'no offers' in the ad to save folk trying to haggle. If you are willing to take a bit less, have your lowest price in your head and stick to it. Also put 'no agencies' in your ad to stop 'We Want Any Car/We Buy Any Car' and the like contacting you.

Keep your phone on you and wait on the calls.

Here's a great video to give you advice on how to haggle ;)

I bought the car outright new so don't own anything on it. Possibly moving abroad and might be looking to shift it quite quickly!

At the risk of stating the obvious, the cheaper you advertise it, the quicker it will go.

Guest The Phoenix
At the risk of stating the obvious, the cheaper you advertise it, the quicker it will go.

Generally speaking the price isn't linked to the accelerator.

If it's in good nick, webuyanycar would be the quickest.

If there's ANYTHING at all wrong with it avoid them like the plague as they'll shaft you on the price. I know a few folk who have sold cars to them and they're actually surprisingly generous if the car is in good condition.

You're having a laugh. They're surprisingly generous with f**k all. Complete piss take organisation. My old golf gti was in mint condition when I sold it, 50,000 on the clock but not even a tiny scratch.

Webuyanycar' offer: £7700

Actually sold it for: £9250

Depends on the circumstances. The OP is about to be nailed to the floor if he doesn't pay drug debts. He needs the money quick.

Archived